Old Brush Cleaning & Refurbishment.

Apologies to each and all if this area has been covered before but I couldn't, as such, find anything about old brushes and some of us (ahem, er, me) are less expert than others.

Is there a preferred method of effectively cleaning an inherited, or used (by someone else), brush; boar or badger?

There are probably plenty of remedies 'on-line' but frankly I'd sooner trust you guys.

All advice will be greatfully received and faithfully applied.

Thanks all,

BS

I follow the Borax method on this page - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm">http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm</a><!-- m --> - the only problem is that unless you already have some Borax crystals on hand, the EU has decided that it can no longer be sold for household cleaning purposes after about 200 years of sales, so you have to buy it from a laboratory supplies company. There is a borax substitute (sodium sesquicarbonate - which is quite similar, but has a tendency to bleach where borax doesn't)

No reason to think that the vinegar method would be any less good.

If you're bothered about any brush-borne pathogens, I'd add a dip in something like Barbicide or Marvicide (Barbicide you can get from Sally Salon Services - I can get it in the Scottish Borders, so it should be available in any part of the civilised world!) as part of the routine.

I'd not ultrasonic the brush because it would strip off any lettering from the brush and might well vibrate the hair out of the epoxy in the knot.

My local hardware shop still has borax for sale at £1.70 for a 300g box. I did not know that they banned it and can't think why. It is very useful for a multitude of other purposes, but I only use it for deep cleaning my brushes once in a blue moon.

If you wnat some check your local hardware shop first, looking on ebay I notice they are all "Borax substitutes" so it is harder to find that it used to be but not impossible, a bit like the 150W bulbs.

If you really want some and having trouble let me know and I will get a box and send to you.

Audiolab said:
I did not know that they banned it and can't think why. It is very useful for a multitude of other purposes, but I only use it for deep cleaning my brushes once in a blue moon.

It's the multitude of other purposes - because it can be used as a pesticide (ant killer) etc. Like I say used for 200 years with no incident, but because it might be used in future for something it's not intended for, they ban it.

Audiolab said:
My local hardware shop still has borax for sale at £1.70 for a 300g box. I did not know that they banned it and can't think why. It is very useful for a multitude of other purposes, but I only use it for deep cleaning my brushes once in a blue moon.

If you wnat some check your local hardware shop first, looking on ebay I notice they are all "Borax substitutes" so it is harder to find that it used to be but not impossible, a bit like the 150W bulbs.

If you really want some and having trouble let me know and I will get a box and send to you.

Audiolab, sir, you are a gentleman. I'll have a mooch this weekend...

Back
Top Bottom