Off to India

Evening all,

A friend of mine is being posted to Delhi, India. And i'm planning on visiting her this year. I'll be taking a small supply of shaving gear with me but besides hoping to pick up some Ingrams / Alum Blocks / DE blades. What else should i keep an eye out for?

Best,

Ben
Wow, that's going to be a great trip.
You really must get a shave off one of the street shaver's, it looks scary but they know what they are doing and I'm sure nothing untoward will happen, and the small amount of money you give will make a real difference to him and his family.
Enjoy your trip.

Paul.

Evening all,

A friend of mine is being posted to Delhi, India. And i'm planning on visiting her this year. I'll be taking a small supply of shaving gear with me but besides hoping to pick up some Ingrams / Alum Blocks / DE blades. What else should i keep an eye out for?

Best,

Ben

I'm not sure you get Ingrams out there, I thought Ingrams was for Egypt/Middle East.

I'd say take a razor and a synthetic brush. Items like shaving cream, blades should be pretty easy to get hold off. For shaving creams, I found Dettol, Yardley, Old Spice and Gillette quite easily, I bought a few of them and they are pretty good, but there are others as well. Aftershaves, I remember seeng a few things out there, but I bought a few of the Gillette ones, and one of the Old Spice aftershaves.

You'll be able to find the aftershaves and the shaving creams at the mall type supermarkets, I'm sure will be one in your local neighbourhood. There are also small grocer type sellers that stock a number of items, they might have shaving items like Gillette Guard and DE blades.

Everyone uses an alum block out there, aside from providing some disinfectant from the shave/water itself. I find my skin was incredibly greasy in the humid weather, the alum block does a good job at keeping your face dry for a few moments at least.

Paul mentioned street side barbers doing shaves, I'd be a bit cautious about some of them. Some of them can have terrible hygiene, but I'd pick a place which is busy, that's generally a sign they know what they are doing. I went to one when I last went India, he did a great job, no worries for hygiene but did a second pass ATG, and I load of ingrowns after that. If you are sensitive to shaving against the grain, I'd avoid such a barber for a shave, but they can be pretty decent for a haircut!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your trip out there. India is a full on and hectic place, a lot of things which are difficult to deal with but some moments of beauty in the midst of almost never ending chaos.

Wow, that's going to be a great trip.
You really must get a shave off one of the street shaver's, it looks scary but they know what they are doing and I'm sure nothing untoward will happen, and the small amount of money you give will make a real difference to him and his family.
Enjoy your trip.

Paul.
I'd second this, it's so cheap to get it done and rather relaxing but if you fancy taking your stuff shouldn't be an issue sourcing blades I'd think as many Indian blades out there

@donnie_arko is right about the hygiene if you go the random street ones especially

@hdb3326 you could maybe grab a pearl flexi whilst you're there? Lool

Ah yes, not sure why i said Ingrams when its Egypt way. But useful to know some potentials for creams. I'm hoping to go for 2-3 weeks so will have plenty of time to explore.

Btw @hdb3326 there's a wet shaver who's a youtuber from India, his channels called joy shaving maybe you could drop him a comment on his vids asking him for some advice as he does speak English and Hindi etc so might be able to give you some pointers hopefully
Saj,

Thanks for that, i'll check out his channel. I am subscribed to a few. Also good to see what products others are using and their thoughts on them.

It is obligatory to bring back some 7 o'clock Super Platinum!
A Gillette Guard cartridge razor and a load of cartridges might be a good choice, if the idea of cartridge shaving isn't heretical to you

If you are into Old Spice I would look for some aftershave. Its a different formula to the stuff you buy in the UK. Its not totally true to the original but so much better than the UK stuff. I had a friend pick me up a bottle a few years ago and I have to ration it to once a week usage. I would also be buying any tubes of cream that are not common in the UK, but that's just me.

I believe the Pearl Adjustable razor is produced in India, if that’s of interest?
It may be quite a bit cheaper to buy one in India, if you have an Indian delivery address?

Back
Top Bottom