Now on hard water!

So it's been a mad couple of months and we've moved 300 miles from Cornwall to Northants and the water is hard! So I'm asking for any tips on this? I'm using Harris almond soap and Trumpers Coconut cream at the moment but the truoble is as I've moved over to using a straight [note that it's not every shave, though it should be] I've found it dries so quick.

I live northants way and I use a little more water in my lather and (for me) I always spash more water on my face before putting on the lather with the brush, that way I don't dry out at all.

Just my humble experience but I am new to the DE world.

antdad said:
More of everything. French soaps seem to work well.

That there. Seriously, I struggle with liquid rock in my neck of the woods, so I have to load up my brush and - I am guessing - use more of the wet stuff... (water on hard soaps, etc).

Also big thumbs up in the French soap... Finding that works also.

Am going to have to shave some place other than my house to find out what it's like to shave in a soft water area.

Lipsy

zig zag said:
So it's been a mad couple of months and we've moved 300 miles from Cornwall to Northants and the water is hard! So I'm asking for any tips on this? I'm using Harris almond soap and Trumpers Coconut cream at the moment but the truoble is as I've moved over to using a straight [note that it's not every shave, though it should be] I've found it dries so quick.

It's expensive but you could fit a water softener to the house. Should improve your shaves which is the main thing, but I'm told they even give other benefits. :D

I live in Hartlepool and think we have the hardest water in England.

my first time I ever tried brush and cream it dried to my face.

I then went with EJ cream, as the previous one stung, and found mixing just a little bit more water in helped a lot and I have no problems now.

LOVELY and soft here in North Devon. We lived in Hampshire before and it was hard water there so we noticed quite a difference when we moved. We soon learn't you need less of everything, less washing up liquid, less washing powder in the washing machine etc etc. The good thing is everything lasts longer and I have no trouble getting a good lather going.

I live in a place where water comes out of the tap in bricks, I descale my kettle on a weekly basis, and use vinegar in my washing up.

The ones that work for me, Monsavon, MWF, Occitanie Cade and Nannys.

Max

Well, fellas' that all sounds good advice to me so first off I'll try Hunny's trick with the salt and see how it goes from there. French soap, Mmm. My daughter is coming home for a couple of weeks in May [she lives near Dijon] so I could ask her to bring some with home. Any particular brand that may do the trick? Is that seagulls I hear?

My water is so hard it comes out the tap with prison tattoos and a drooling staffy on a chain.

As the concensus is here, more product. Lots more product. Also a good brush is a must.

That's quite a good thing mind, the faster soap gets used the more you get to buy.

zig zag said:
My daughter is coming home for a couple of weeks in May [she lives near Dijon] so I could ask her to bring some with home. Any particular brand that may do the trick? Is that seagulls I hear?

Don't use any soap that comes in one of these jars:
Grey_Poupon_Dijon_Mustard_-_1.4_oz_(Mini_Bottle).jpg

Tell her to get "Maison du barbier" and "Monsavon" both cheap and readily available in supermarkets. (bottom shelf!)

Max

ebilpirate said:
My water is so hard it comes out the tap with prison tattoos and a drooling staffy on a chain.

Yeah? Well my water is so 'ard the staffy does a turd, rubs my face in it and then tells me to shave somewhere else. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom