Novel use for MWF

I am sporting my first ever beard at 61 yr old, never wanted to grow one before but I was curious to see if one suited me, nevermind what Her indoors would say. To be fair it does suit me, She hasn't moaned at me once for growing it. I have White hair and a White Beard with a touch of ginger in it, it is 90% white though. It looks quite distinguished.
My Shaving gear is languishing in the bathroom, apart from my MWF soap.
I went through the itchy stage, it was a nightmare but I found lathering up my MWF and using the lather as a beard wash really calmed the itch due to the Lanolin in the soap. The beard felt softer too, I wash it once a day with the MWF and it is great for the old whiskers. Anyone else use their MWF this way?

I am sporting my first ever beard at 61 yr old, never wanted to grow one before but I was curious to see if one suited me, nevermind what Her indoors would say. To be fair it does suit me, She hasn't moaned at me once for growing it. I have White hair and a White Beard with a touch of ginger in it, it is 90% white though. It looks quite distinguished.
I went through the itchy stage, it was a nightmare but I found lathering up my MWF and using the lather as a beard wash really calmed the itch due to the Lanolin in the soap. The beard felt softer too, I wash it once a day with the MWF and it is great for the old whiskers. Anyone else use their MWF this way?

I'd recommend the MWF bath soap. It's got a bit of lanolin in it too.

Enjoy having a beard Wayne. I reckon it's a right of passage for every wet shaver. It makes having a fresh shaved face all the more enjoyable!

I’ve been using a home brew job, Shubs. It’s ok but is a tad greasy. I ain’t buying all these fancy schmancy beard washes, shampoos, oils and waxes. Grow it, keep it tidyish and get used to the itch whilst calming it down a bit. Besides, it’s a bona fide use for those poorly lathering old MWF cakes.

I’ve been using a home brew job, Shubs. It’s ok but is a tad greasy. I ain’t buying all these fancy schmancy beard washes, shampoos, oils and waxes. Grow it, keep it tidyish and get used to the itch whilst calming it down a bit. Besides, it’s a bona fide use for those poorly lathering old MWF cakes.

Yeah that is what I did and like yourself I won't be buying all those products.
I made an oil blend as well a few years back when I had a beard. Now it's gone I occasionally use that blend as a pre shave, on the rare days I use canned goo.

If you really struggle with the itch, a beard oil can make some difference. It does work but then you might have a greasy beard for the rest of the day.
I'm over the itchy stage now Bro. Beard oil and all that stuff is marketting, once your skin gets used to the new hairy stuff it calms down a and gets used to it.

Hey mate. MWF is far from poorly lathering, you just need to know how to treat it. Massive tip for you, honestly this is massive, keep the puck hydrated, keep a couple of mm of water above the soap at all times, fill the dish with water, let the puck swell to fit the dish, takes around a week then keep it wet, a few mm of water over the puck at all times. It won't go mushy, it won't go mouldy, when you want to shave, pour the water out and lather away, once finished replace the water for next time. Honestly for anyone using the Fat.... Thank me later. I'll guarantee you'll have the best lathers you have ever had out of MWF.

I'm over the itchy stage now Bro. Beard oil and all that stuff is marketting, once your skin gets used to the new hairy stuff it calms down a and gets used to it.

I have to disagree with you here. Of course not everyone needs but I did. When my beard would get to a certain length my skin would get really dry and I would get quite a bit of 'beard-druff' this was irrespective of how much I would wash or shampoo it. It would easily make my face less itchy. Btw, the last time I grew a beard I had just less than a year's worth of growth at one point, I only trimmed around my mouth as it got bigger.

I found rubbing some oil into my skin would do a pretty good job at preventing my skin from drying out. I do the same thing for my scalp too, and I no longer get dandruff.

My family is from the subcontinent, people over there have been applying oil to their scalps forever. Beard oils as a marketed product are a new thing but applying oil to your scalp etc is nothing new.

I have to disagree with you here. Of course not everyone needs but I did. When my beard would get to a certain length my skin would get really dry and I would get quite a bit of 'beard-druff' this was irrespective of how much I would wash or shampoo it. It would easily make my face less itchy. Btw, the last time I grew a beard I had just less than a year's worth of growth at one point, I only trimmed around my mouth as it got bigger.

I found rubbing some oil into my skin would do a pretty good job at preventing my skin from drying out. I do the same thing for my scalp too, and I no longer get dandruff.

My family is from the subcontinent, people over there have been applying oil to their scalps forever. Beard oils as a marketed product are a new thing but applying oil to your scalp etc is nothing new.
Hey buddy, each to their own.

I had a Karl Marx back in the early '90s (likewise, beard grew out rather than down) so trimmed the edges and waxed the 'stache to keep my beer hole clear. I think I had a bad flu' which went on a while by which point I was through the itchy phase and so let it grow out for a few weeks before styling ... then taking the damn thing off. I let it grow again (was it 2018) but with a lot of fencing at the time, it wasn't fun with a sweaty mask and got pretty irritable. Cure for such irritation, use a sharper blade than my fencing blade!

Never used product ... aside from whatever bar soap was kicking about (which was also what I shaved with back then). I think the 'tach wax was probably Lipsyl!

....just when you bought 'the one' again. :)
I had couple of attempts to grow hirsute cheeks but could not pass the itchy stage. Now that I have a MWF I may reattempt this.

Hey mate. MWF is far from poorly lathering, you just need to know how to treat it. Massive tip for you, honestly this is massive, keep the puck hydrated, keep a couple of mm of water above the soap at all times, fill the dish with water, let the puck swell to fit the dish, takes around a week then keep it wet, a few mm of water over the puck at all times. It won't go mushy, it won't go mouldy, when you want to shave, pour the water out and lather away, once finished replace the water for next time. Honestly for anyone using the Fat.... Thank me later. I'll guarantee you'll have the best lathers you have ever had out of MWF.
MWF and I are old friends but I got a couple of duff cakes (there’s a big thread about MWF quality somewhere, I think) that I doubt anyone could get a stable, lasting lather from. I really should have sent them back but time, memory and crap intervened. Now at least I’ll get to use the crappy stuff. Appreciate the advice though.

MWF and I are old friends but I got a couple of duff cakes (there’s a big thread about MWF quality somewhere, I think) that I doubt anyone could get a stable, lasting lather from. I really should have sent them back but time, memory and crap intervened. Now at least I’ll get to use the crappy stuff. Appreciate the advice though.
Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

Back
Top Bottom