noob to GEM Razors

Oooooo. I like the look of this one which I never knew existed. Perhaps it looks more evil in its all black finish.

What is it about Rocnel and aggressive strange SE's? Their DE's are quite the opposite including the 'Aggressive Elite' I have, which isn't.

Not mine either. Now lives in Greenland.
Apart from the "Sailor" adjustable, I think I have an example of all Rocnels. The SE razors are masterpieces of ingenious design and quality manufacturing to high standards and tight tolerances. The AC, Gem and half DE models are notable in how they hold their blades; the last most notably.

I hope that they continue to be made, albeit in small numbers.

Interesting, I thought the Rocnel GEM was out of production for good

I was really after one at one point so thought it worth a shout out, this was last year.

Given the pound/dollar at the moment that ain't cheap. I think it has just dropped off the list faster than it arrived.
Even at the time the price made me think twice, especially for a complete unknown to me. I'm sure I'd get on with it but made me hesitate which I don't usually do.

If I see one on BST again I'll jump at it but there'll have to be a decent exchange recovery before I consider new.

You guys mentioned rocnel and also razors like wolfman also comes to mind, I wanted to ask why are these razors so expensive?

I know @TobyC will say tech will do the same sort of thing at the end of the day,
which I agree with but there must be something about these razors as there's a demand for it, so whats behind the demand?

Is it just the feel good factor or what is it exactly?

You guys mentioned rocnel and also razors like wolfman also comes to mind, I wanted to ask why are these razors so expensive?

I know @TobyC will say tech will do the same sort of thing at the end of the day,
which I agree with but there must be something about these razors as there's a demand for it, so whats behind the demand?

Btw these razors do look nice, no doubt

Why do people buy Gucci sneakers? The kudos and bling factor...

I wanted to ask why are these razors so expensive?
Sometimes materials, manufacture time, customisation, but I suspect primarily supply vs demand and marketing hype. As to...

Toby would be exactly right, they are just blade holders. The expensive ones will get the job done in exactly the same way as any number of more inexpensive options out there, they just look flashy.

I would echo Sabre as well, some people may see it as a treat for themselves, perhaps to mark an occasion or just like flashy things. They are in no way necessary by any stretch but for the people who want them their reasons (or in my case, justifications) are sufficient.

Though saying that I could quite happily have landed and stayed on my R41 had I remained blissfully unaware of the dark underbelly of the wet shaving world.

Sometimes materials, manufacture time, customisation, but I suspect primarily supply vs demand and marketing hype. As to...

Toby would be exactly right, they are just blade holders. The expensive ones will get the job done in exactly the same way as any number of more inexpensive options out there, they just look flashy.

I would echo Sabre as well, some people may see it as a treat for themselves, perhaps to mark an occasion or just like flashy things. They are in no way necessary by any stretch but for the people who want them their reasons (or in my case, justifications) are sufficient.

Though saying that I could quite happily have landed and stayed on my R41 had I remained blissfully unaware of the dark underbelly of the wet shaving world.

Before I got into wet shaving I never would've thought and imagined that materials would've been such a big thing within the shaving community, interesting to say the least

I wanted to ask, what are the vintage GEM razor blades like? Any good?
I like the Corrux blades that I've used, but they did need stropping. You'll need a stropper and a strop. I also have a pack of Damaskeene blades, which I really enjoy when I use them. Again, stropping! Lots of ...

But yes, to echo @TobyC just use modern production blades and enjoy.

@TobyC @pjgh thanks for replying,
yea was thinking modern blades would be better

came across this gem razor and mentioned it came with blades so was a bit curious

Either way I'd get the person a gem blades from connaught shaving

Well, the first Wolfman razors are just gussied up Gillette raised flat bottom techs with a nice polish job and a custom handle.

I own two Tedalus Essence razors and two Blackland Blackbirds, so I don't exactly have room to talk about other people spending stupid sums on razors. On the other hand, they are some of the finest shavers I've ever used, which is why I bought duplicates.

As for why they are expensive...

Limited production. CNC machine time and set up is expensive, and most people don't have 20k to drop on a several hundred razor run. I could (hypothetically) design and make a $25 stainless steel razor the equal of anything else out there. I'd probably have to spend a million dollars to order enough to get the price down that low.

Edit: take Gillette as an example. No modern mass produced DE razor matches the complexity of a vintage Gillette Fatboy adjustable. If they did, they would have to charge about $600, (based on the one guy that made a modern toggle...and messed it up).
Gillette sold them for $1.95 (about $25-30 factoring inflation), because they made millions of them. Scale is everything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom