noob to GEM Razors

saj

hey so used, DE, SE, AC and injectors and i think GEM is the only razor left apart from a straight or kamisori as already used a shavette

anyways want to know which GEM razors and razor blades are good?

whats considered to be mild, medium and aggressive in terms of razors and blades?

thanks

The following is a personal opinion based only on what I have in hand, take it as you find it and feel free to disagree.

Vintage

ER 1912 - bloody good, efficient, readily available, cheap, ebay

MMOC - love it, little more efficient to me, not as abundant as 1912 but available and decently priced on ebay

Clog Pruf - very good, possibly a tad more mild than 1912, I have not seen as frequently

Streamline - awesome, heavier, not cheap by comparison but cheaper than modern versions

Modern - won't mention price they're all expensive by comparison

Blackland Sabre L2 - Love it, below MMOC in terms of efficiency, very manoeuvrable

ATT G1 - not my cup of tea, very mild, ceased manufacture, can pick them up occasionally on BST

Wolfman WR3 - Love the OC, not a fan of SB. Long wait list, not really available (I said I wouldn't mention it, but expensive)

Blade Choice
Easy for me, just these.

GEM Blue Star - not worth the bother, carbon steal and will rust if not cared for.

There are vintage blades but I don't have enough experience with any of them, and they are not readily available.

The other modern Gem razor is the Rocnel SE-G. This is an "aggressive" stainless razor, but I'm not sure if it's available at present. It is as brutal as it looks, with an open comb and an acute head angle which takes some getting used to.

Of the vintage models, my own preference is the EverReady "Natural Angle" razor with the plastic handle. I stand to be corrected, but I think this is the same razor as the Gem FeatherWeight in @Sabre 's photograph. I also think that there's something very similar under the "Star" trademark.

Rocnel-SE-G-Natural Angle.JPG

Last edited:
The other modern Gem razor is the Rocnel SE-G. This is an "aggressive" stainless razor, but I'm not sure if it's available at present. It is as brutal as it looks, with an open comb and an acute head angle which takes some getting used to.

Of the vintage models, my own preference is the EverReady "Natural Angle" razor with the plastic handle. I stand to be corrected, but I think this is the same razor as the Gem FeatherWeight in @Sabre 's photograph. I also think that there's something very similar under the "Star" trademark.

View attachment 94248
Some Ever Ready and Gem models are the same. I assume made in Britain versus USA...

Reactions: saj
They got the 1912 right back in 1912 with the first model, the Damaskeene - the earlier models of the 1912 (pre-1919) has a curved top cap and that makes a difference.

You enjoy an aggressive shave, right Saj? Look for a 1907 model. It's like shaving with an adze!

AL9nZEUKgf3kZcaCuoCHsicThRGd5AuGhsNtNioWZJsM_5rDi-705Zq97eD8wLiC5mafa2zosv7xsadGbXAFz7dJRno5-VBlR7j1bD4X3SxknVZzebPIvtU_Cy7tfKLnp-rNVkqQtZN2PfbqA4txE83PB3-uSA=s1200

But, any British made 1912 will be easy to come by and cheap as chips for a good starting point.

The following is a personal opinion based only on what I have in hand, take it as you find it and feel free to disagree.

Vintage

ER 1912 - bloody good, efficient, readily available, cheap, ebay

MMOC - love it, little more efficient to me, not as abundant as 1912 but available and decently priced on ebay

Clog Pruf - very good, possibly a tad more mild than 1912, I have not seen as frequently

Streamline - awesome, heavier, not cheap by comparison but cheaper than modern versions

Modern - won't mention price they're all expensive by comparison

Blackland Sabre L2 - Love it, below MMOC in terms of efficiency, very manoeuvrable

ATT G1 - not my cup of tea, very mild, ceased manufacture, can pick them up occasionally on BST

Wolfman WR3 - Love the OC, not a fan of SB. Long wait list, not really available (I said I wouldn't mention it, but expensive)

Blade Choice
Easy for me, just these.

GEM Blue Star - not worth the bother, carbon steal and will rust if not cared for.

There are vintage blades but I don't have enough experience with any of them, and they are not readily available.
love the look of the blackland sabre

so theres not many modern GEM razors right? i assume its due to the blades availability?

They got the 1912 right back in 1912 with the first model, the Damaskeene - the earlier models of the 1912 (pre-1919) has a curved top cap and that makes a difference.

You enjoy an aggressive shave, right Saj? Look for a 1907 model. It's like shaving with an adze!

AL9nZEUKgf3kZcaCuoCHsicThRGd5AuGhsNtNioWZJsM_5rDi-705Zq97eD8wLiC5mafa2zosv7xsadGbXAFz7dJRno5-VBlR7j1bD4X3SxknVZzebPIvtU_Cy7tfKLnp-rNVkqQtZN2PfbqA4txE83PB3-uSA=s1200

But, any British made 1912 will be easy to come by and cheap as chips for a good starting point.
well i like aggressiv to a limit, i'd say comfort with medium plus aggressive is what suits me personall,
comfort is probably one of the more important things i look for

those razors look so cool and retro

love the look of the blackland sabre

so theres not many modern GEM razors right? i assume its due to the blades availability?
There's a handful but it's a niche within a niche market, so there's not much profit in making one.

I wouldn't say the blade availability is the reason though, the limited options actually make it easier, and the PTFE blades are more than acceptable and equal the best AC and DE blades in finish for me.

I would say its probably the design itself. Being deeper from rear to cutting edge it limits the head design and I would hazard a guess that some think it isn't as easy or convenient to get a close shave.

Reactions: saj
Back
Top Bottom