Noob from Kent

Hi Guys,

VERY new to this non-cartridge shaving, having come to it via a little foray into the Rolls Razor route (just found the idea technically brilliant). I had finally become disgusted at the prices of cartridges and after seeing a rolls and then from there seeing the DE safety razors, memories of watching my dad lathering up his face when I was a nipper finally made me take the plunge!

Shaving, for me anyhow, used to be a rushed, impersonal CHORE. Now I am loving the idea and feel of taking time out to pamper my face and enjoy the whole experience.

I've got a Merkur HD on order and can't wait to use it! Now to sort out a good 'all-rounder' brush for the novice who doesn't know if this will turn into a full-blown hobby or the accasional pamper?!?! Budgeting, ideally around £20-£30 - any ideas guys?

Kim

Welcome.

To get started, just about any brush will do a reasonable job. A firm brush with a bit of backbone will give the option of soaps, creams and face lathering. The Semogue 1305 will be OK, even cheaper the Vulfix 404 boar/badger mix has some support here as a good value option.

Hi Kim and welcome.

A good brush for a starter? the semogue is a good choice, it is worth keeping an eye on the BST there are quite a few brushes come up from time to time.

Enjoy the forum.

Hi Kim and welcome

Another novice here, been using a cheap DE for a couple of weeks to see if I got on with it and I do so I ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89 yesterday (the cheap one will go into my travel kit)

I have a Vulfix 404 Boar brush the one Fido mentioned is the mixed Badger and Boar one available from Diamond Edge Ltd.

It doesn't take very long to get the basics, and I shave in the evening to give myself more time.

Cheers

Nic

Hi Kim. Be warned, your new habit will be addictive. I started DE shaving at the end of September last year and now have 6 DE razors, 3 straights, and 4 brushes... mama, someone stop me.

Welcome to TSR, Kim.

Just to vary the brush advice a bit, I'll say either a cheapy Omega Pro 49 boar, or any of a number of basic badger brushes in your price range, for instance the Gentleman's Shop Best for £25. But as Fido says, it doesn't really matter that much to start with.

Hi Kimbo, welcome to TSR!

Good advice on the boar brushes. If you go for one of these you may wish to consider using a soap rather than a cream to start with, as because they are stiffer :? they suit lathering with soap better. They also take a little 'running in', so if you do get one expect it to be a few days before it's performing at its best. And have FUN!!! :shave

Welcome Kimbo

i'd say get a Vulfix 404 badger\boar mix, but i think everyone should have one :roll:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Razors__Shaving_Brushes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/ ... ushes.html</a><!-- m -->

about halfway down for £8.40

Many thanks for the warm welcome guys and the helpful advice!

I have decided to go for the Vulfix 404 mix brush though I stupidly went via ebay and bought one from Bonds of Oxford Street at £14.95 instead of £8 odd punds from Diamond Edge.

Noob error :oops:

Thanks again for the help! :p

Back
Top Bottom