Non-iron shirts

I recently bought a couple short sleeved Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron 100% cotton shirts, thinking they would be just the ticket for summer. Now I don't know whether it's the non-iron properties or what, but they just don't seem as breathable and cool to wear as other (regular) cotton shirts I have.

Could the treatment it receives to make it 'non iron' make the fabric less breathable? Does anyone know what this process consists of? Is it chemical? Does it wear off after multiple washes?

I've got half a dozen Banana Republic non iron shirts. Thinking about it they do seem a fraction less breathable. Some of mine are almost 2 years old and no issues to date with treatment fading, although I tend to give them a very quick light press anyway.

M&S non-iron shirts for me all the way, when I do have to wear a shirt. Life's too short for ironing shirts (and SWMBO agrees and won't do it for me). I'm sure we've got an iron somewhere... no idea where...

The only thing that I miss about not working( now retired ) is not having my shirts professionally cleaned and pressed. It was great having a row of shirts all in those nice clear plastic bags waiting to be 'chosen' each morning. Washed, pressed and with light starch.
But I guess I don't miss it enough to go back to work[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had ironing drilled into me from a young age, as my dad had it drilled into him from the Army. Presentation is everything don't you know :D

In all seriousness, I do notice that looser weave cottons are more breathable, whereas the poly blends that most (if not all) non-iron shirts have a closer weave to the material, which may contribute to the situation.

Ah shirts, I do like my shirts and ties, a lot. For me CT do the best pre made shirts and I do have a few non-iron but I do use them more in winter. I generally get shirts made for me as am a bit picky. The non iron element comes from the weave mi thinks rather than a coating. I know it may sound daft but I wear a slim and lightweight t shirt under my shirt in summer and it keeps me cooler!

Usually, the non-iron shirts are a cotton/poly blend which is a death sentence in extreme heat. :eek: There are high tech polyesters that are cool via a wicking action, but they need to be skintight in order to achieve this. Think Spandex like fit. I live in a desert and the only polyester article of clothing I will buy are the high tech poly blend socks which do wick away sweat very well. So does a high grade merino wool sock for that matter such as made by Smartwool.

Back
Top Bottom