No two brushes alike

We all know the saying as that can be applied towards boar, badger or even horse brushes of same model.

Have you any experience with badgers that have been flaccid after constant use? I understand wear-and-tear with goods but haven't had any of my brushes for years.

Having said that I've been reading bout badgers as of late apart from when I initially started shaving. But departed from it after having much success with boar. I'll spare you my exaltation of boars because that's not the subject at hand.

After trying Vie-Long 16590 Black Badger, it certainly is true to its attributes in that the tips are said to be soft as Super Badger and backbone with "coarser shaft" equivalent to that of its Best Badger ( Gray Badger ) counterpart according to Best Grooming Tools description.

Quick bit of history. At the time I started out with Simpson B4 Pure as it was part of my straight razor set. Let's just say I wasn't in awe of its performance hence my turn to boar. Ironic? Perhaps. Maybe I haven't given it much chance as soon as Omega brushes arrived at the time so sue me.

Having been curious about them JimR had referred me to Gary at Shoeboxshaveshop and I never looked back. Since I preferred smaller sized brushes he recommended Omega 21047 and then the fabled 31064 if I wanted to try larger handle.
I picked these up along with Koh-I-Noor #077J and then Boreal 977.

Unfortunately, neither one much less Omega 31064 had much use ( only once ) because I was so impressed with 21047's performance in spite of its diminutive size. Over time I picked up another 2 from Gary. Along with its Silvertip counterpart 599. Now funny thing about this is that it's been in hibernation since September of last year! I've been using Omega boars since my initial use of 21047 ranging from several models.

Now as long winded as that was trust I can go ad nauseum but I won't do that to you gentlemen. Now I can't substantiate this because I haven't used my doubles. So I turn to you who may have used 2 sets of the same brush in either boar or badger.

One gentleman have reported his Simpsons Chubby ( sorry don't recall which I know it was either CH1 or CH2 ) to be flaccid over time with use. Whether or not it was pre-Vulfix Chub I haven't slightest clue. Anyway, I know some of us don't have the kind of disposable income. In which case I reckon people stick to a brand or species for fear of being disappointed.

The closest I can come to the Chubby is the Wee Scot and again preferred smaller handles due to my ever dainty hands. I was looking towards Simpsons Case Best ( I have the Pure but haven't chance to include in my rotation ). I like the handle it's ergonomic and comfortable but a rather premature statement considering the lack of use.

I know each manufacturer has their own grading.
Sometimes cost of brush does not necessarily correlate to its performance but more so its brand name ( this is not a knock to those who have $500 brushes ).

I love boars without question but am intrigued with their counterpart. The reason for that will be explained below ( I will post both Omega 21047 and 599 in future for those who haven't seen my review ):

4 things:

Break-in
Badger in general ( correct me if I'm wrong ) ready from the get-go while some perhaps need more break-in like boar to reach its full potential. Second, it's much softer and this trait varies from one manufacturer to another or even brush to brush from same manufacturer.

Lather ability
The lather is copious-too copious at 15 bloody passes with soap. ( At least for both 599 and Vulfix 2273-haven't really accounted for total passes with both Simpsons Wee Scot as well as Vie-Long 16590 ). Boar yields 4-5 passes and all I need are 2 and once-over.

Tip Softness
In spite of badger's tips softness, boar will be just as soft in that the tips split becoming trident-like fork with use.

I don't know if badgers need any more break-in. How can Omega 599 become much more softer than its current state? The hairs are so fine, elastic and silk-like. My only concern is being useless should it ever become flaccid.

Boar on the other hand, is tough rather broom-like which is great. My criticism with badger: unlike 21047 where every bristle massaged skin, the 599 did not as the outermost hair fanned out. Perhaps its due to the insane blooming properties.

Stiffness
Both Vie-Long 16590 and Vulfix 2273 except for Omega 599 were very good with regards to stiff shaft. To 599's credit it wasn't flaccid. Unless future usage state otherwise the lather was distributed very well throughout shave. That goes for the badgers mentioned here.

Pure badgers at least some tend to be prickly-at least my Bill Campbell Pure was due to it being clipped.
According to what I've seen 2-band or even whiter tips are highly sought after.

I suppose the there really is no way to address issue with regards to a badger grade being reduced to flaccid state with prolonged use.
The Wee Scot has such short loft that I don't even know it will ever lose its backbone. Vie-Long's 16590 Black Badger on the other hand, has had much little use as well. Even though it's not "best" badger grade it certainly had a nice shaft to boot!

Much appreciated Gentlemen.

I didn't read all the post Ivan because I've read your pro boar anti badger rants elsewhere, frankly I stopped when you said you'd read about a Chubby becoming flaccid and the closest you had got to one was a Wee Scott. Your unqualified generalisations about badger brushes are just that...misguided, unhelpful and not true.

Brush stiffness is usually a product of hair type, density and loft. I've had boar brushes that have become horribly flaccid but it' is unlikely you'll find anything as firm as boar until you try two band (not even TGN finest). Unfortunately it's expensive in which case I would wait for the Fido special to be released.

antdad,

Thanks! Sorry if I did came off Anti-badger in other posts. I don't recall saying I hated them but more so that I didn't care for them. But having said that, I've since changed my opinions after positive experiences from Omega 599, Simpsons Wee, Vie-Long 16590 and Vulfix 2273 despite limited usage. Hence the recent interest in Finest extra from TGN.

The thing for me was as mentioned I believe it was in TGN thread that stiffness was of utmost concern. But you nailed it! These are natural and handmade and therefore it should be expected it may indeed vary.

Just didn't want to unload XXX amount on say a Case Best or Chubby and be disappointed later on.

Definite intrigued with Fido's Forest brushes!

I read your post but am not sure what you are asking, do products wear out if you use them all the time? Yes. Do Badger brushes get flacid if you use them constantly? No .

Or are you asking if some of us have two of the same brush and has one went "flacid", Yes, No. I own several doublers including boars and there can be a variation (allbeit small) from one to the next, this is the same of any natural product, boar, badger, everything with a natural element in it has variances, even paint can be different from one pot to the other but has one brush gone floppy and the other not.....no.

There is a certain amount of "It depends on the brush and quality of the hair used in the first place" that determines the stiffness but in my experience some have softened since initial use but then again so do the boar brushes as they break. You seem have quite a lot of worry because one guy reported his Simpsons Chubby to be flaccid over time. What duration are we talking about? without context it is hard to make any constructive comment. I think the person you read was talking bollocks but without reading the whole post it is hard to say.

The CH2 will take more than 24 hours to dry so daily use would not be a good idea for the densely packed Chubby range (in my opinion), but others that are not as dense could be used daily. But when you own so many why would you want to use only one brush every day anyway?

Audiolab,

Thanks. The thread in question: Simpson's Brushes. Primary issues there were shedding but that wasn't my concern as I know boar and badger shed and add to fact that the issue there had been rectified by Simpsons. Anyway, I went back to re-read the thread and even tried search for keywords I was delusional as I thought I've seen it in that thread with regards to Chubster being flaccid. It was bad example on my end but I was curious about the flaccidity of both boar and badger alike.

Ivan, that thread was from 2006 and the Chubby in question was second hand.

There have always been QC issues with Simpson and Rooney irrespective of ownership, I've sent a few back myself. With increased cost comes expectation and disappointment when on the odd occasion those expectations aren't met. Unfortunately instead of normally dealing with a seller or manufacturer immediately you can now bleat on a forum and give the wrong impression. As that thread demonstrated for every dissatisfied customer there are ten that are satisfied and probably a further twenty that didn't say so.

Its bad news that makes the headlines, rarely does anyone start a thread with "My Simpson X doesn't shed".

Back
Top Bottom