No linen, just leather strop

I've been told that I can get away without a hone for around two months with just good leather stropping.

However, being keen I've just ordered a natural bbw/coticule combi. For touch-ups, will it be fine going from the coticule straight to the leather strop or is it recommended to use linen first?

Any cheap linen only strops going about? Or alternatives?

:hungrig

I made a a couple of denim strops from an old pair of jeans and they work like a dream they are 3 ply and ironed flat. One is attached to some Strop hardware recovered from an old irreparable strop, the other I use by jamming one end draw and holding the other which seems to work just as well.

I imagine linen would be helpful but I've never used it. I've got a latigo strop from Tony Miller, just leather, and it does me fine.

I think the idea is that it's a mild abrasive so it helps kepp the edge a little longer.

I will pick one up one day but I'm in no rush.

If you're learning to hone I think a bit of balsa with some chromium oxide on it might be a better, and cheaper, option. It seems to iron out issues in my poor honing technique. I can come off a thuringian or Chinese 12k then go to leather and it often feels rough, the cro ox makes everything smoooooth. I had planned on avoiding pastes to get my honing down but the easy get out is always tempting.

Sometimes I use the rough leather side of my strop and I've heard people, Arrowhead, getting decent results using newspaper. The ink is a mild abrasive.

When learning I rekon coticule>cro ox>leather might give a better result than coticule>linen>leather. I've never used a coti though.

For touch up, I was planning on using just coticule+water -> leather strop.

The razor hasn't dulled/pulled yet, so haven't had an opportunity to try :shave

Back
Top Bottom