Newbie Straight razor enablement advice required!

As regards strops, I don’t agree that paddle strops are easier to use than hanging. If you keep the spine and bevel in contact with the strop you are OK - it’s only when you lift the spine that you may get problems, and it’s just as easy to lift the spine regardless of the type of strop. I think it’s a fallacy to believe that it’s more likely on a hanging strop because there is less tension. Between the spine and edge of a razor is less than an inch so it creates its own plane regardless of the fact that the overall strop may be less than taught.
This is some amazing insight! I am also looking at buying my first straight along with the strop - thanks for this !

Exactly my point. Lack of Technique. There is a learning curve to shaving with and maintaining a SR. Everything can be undone in a split second of poor technique, I know you know your stuff mate, I'd never challenge that but even you must admit it isn't as easy as it sounds changing to SR shaving?
You’re right Wayne - I had a couple of pretty gruesome cuts early on that were due to overconfidence. The advice I was given (and used) was to gradually build up so that you get used to holding the razor and getting to know angles before you graduate to shaving in every direction. Most important for me was always to have my usual razor to hand to finish off so that I had a decent finished shave.

Of the razors linked earlier, I'd probably go with the Ern rather than the Stiz. I own a Stiz and have never quite been happy with it, even after sending it out for pro honing. However I seem to remember Fergiebilly held them in fairly high regard, although noted that they take some time to hone.

I jumped straight in (see what I did there?) and ordered a 5/8 round point (Fritz Bracht Tennis from around 1940) from Billyji1. I also bought a paddle and hanging strop from him (both 3" width). The razor was recommended by Fergiebilly of this parish and it arrived from Billyji1 shave ready as described. Cost about £60.

For me, I don't think it matters whether you start on a paddle or hanging strop, as you'll cut up your first one a bit, but you have to get past that. My paddle strop is in perfect nick, my hanging strop has a couple of nicks in it, and once or twice I caught the folded over section at the end (bad for the blade). So my advice would be to get a hanging strop, but get one from Billyji1 or Boaby G (Rob Gallagher) for not too much money. Once you have got good enough at stropping to not make mistakes is the time to spend more than £40.

Straight shaving requires time (in the sense of minutes per shave, AND time to get proficient). It's not for everyone but it's rewarding in its own way if you like fettling blades etc. Best not to spend too much, but £100 gets you a good shave ready vintage straight from someone like Billyji1 as well as a strop.

Last edited:
I tried SR shaving a few years ago. Really enjoyed it, somehow I managed to nick the blade without realising and the resulting cut wasn't pretty. Didn't really like having to strop before and after the shave either.

Moved back to AC razors.

If it's still available, I would recommend the Tedalus on BST. Great razor for almost the same experience. Of course YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom