Newbie Straight razor enablement advice required!

A few days ago Mrs 998 brought me home a really cheap and nasty Solimo brand shavette. It really is a shonky piece of crap and came with 30 no name (made in Germany) DE blades to snap in half. These are not nice blades, they are very not nice indeed. But of course I’m not going to break any of my good ones to put on the end of a shitty bit of bamboo and Chinesium that I’m going to drag nervously across my face am I? That would be stupid, much better to use a nasty, unbranded piece of crap. Much more sensible.

Being the adventurous/foolhardy type I decided to go it and, amazingly, didn’t skin myself or even cut myself up even a little bit. I actually enjoyed the process and ended up with a socially acceptable shave, albeit far from the closest I’ve ever achieved with any of my DEs.

Sooooo, now I want to try a proper straight razor, and as Christmas is around the corner, I’ve asked Mrs 998 for one, and she’s agreed.

In practice this would normally involve me looking at endless razors on eBay, then buying the prettiest thing I can find that is right at the top of my price range, despite that being a really flashy and not dodgy at all piece of Damascus that should, if it had been made properly, cost about 10 times my budget… And then rip my face to pieces with the horrific piece of shit that I’d ordered from a back street sweatshop in some hellhole…

Anyway, that is not what is going to happen.

I’ve got about £100 to throw at this and that includes a strop. I’ve been looking at restored razors on eBay but I’ve got no idea what’s a good place to start at, other than I’ve heard a seller called Billyji1 is pretty good? https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/billyji1

So go on then, spend my money for me.

For 100 pounds, i think DOVO straight will be a good option . If you can stretch it out, nothing like a ralf aust! I am also in the same boat looking to buy my first straight :)

Hope it works out well and let us know what you buy!

My advice would be to go down the used rather than new route and I‘ve also read that the EBay seller mentioned above is OK. Go for a shave ready blade 5/8” or 6/8” but don’t bother about the make or, too much, about condition. If you find that straights are for you in the long term you can then look at more expensive/desirable razors. However if you find it’s not for you then you haven’t wasted too much money.
There are some reputable second hand sites but, in my opinion, some of the prices are ridiculously high. If you ( or anyone else) would like an opinion on a particular razor then pm me. I’ve been restoring razors for over 10 years so have a decent idea as to EBay prices.

Ebay. Look for Sheffield Cut Throat Razor, you'll find a good few on there so you can pick up a nice bargain in a box. You'll have to send it off to be honed but for less than £50 inc honing your going to get something actually useable for shaving with. Or just look up Cut Throat Razor and pick up a nice Soligen one.

Billyji1 on eBay had a good reputation, although I haven't used him myself, so I'd message him and ask for his suggestions. His razors will come shave ready which you can't guarantee with a new razor.
I'd second this one, I picked up a 'shave ready' dovo best from a UK retailer...it was not.

Then picked up a vintage from Billyji1, this was shave ready and was in perfect condition. Nothing flash but it worked, still have it though it doesn't see much use after sliding down the slippery slope. Haven't tried his strops but I'm sure they're perfectly serviceable.

Thanks everyone. I had heard about new razors being hit or miss as to their shave readiness, so was minded to find a good refurbished one from a reputable seller. There’s a couple Billyji1 has up for sale at the moment, including this New Old Stock one:

which I kind of like because it’s a bit different to the mainstream, being a product of those damn pinko commies…

and this:

I like the name… yes, I really am that shallow :D

As to strops, is there any benefit to a paddle type vs a traditional hanging type?

Thanks everyone. I had heard about new razors being hit or miss as to their shave readiness, so was minded to find a good refurbished one from a reputable seller. There’s a couple Billyji1 has up for sale at the moment, including this New Old Stock one:

which I kind of like because it’s a bit different to the mainstream, being a product of those damn pinko commies…

and this:

As to strops, is there any benefit to a paddle type vs a traditional hanging type?
If you are a beginner to stropping it is an art form in itself, so easy to roll the new edge and ruin it with poor technique, then it needs sending back for a tickle up on the stones. A Paddle is easier as it is flatter, doesn't flex so it is easier to keep a consistant angle and easy to make your own with some nice leather glued to a piece of plained square edge timber. I'd go for a paddle until you get proficient

If you are a beginner to stropping it is an art form in itself, so easy to roll the new edge and ruin it with poor technique, then it needs sending back for a tickle up on the stones. A Paddle is easier as it is flatter, doesn't flex so it is easier to keep a consistant angle and easy to make your own with some nice leather glued to a piece of plained square edge timber. I'd go for a paddle until you get proficient
Thanks, that’s really useful to know. It would have another benefit in that a paddle strop can be put away in my cupboard, thus avoiding Mrs 998 moaning about anything hanging on the bathroom wall…

and this:

I have one of his paddles and they are perfectly fine and get the job done.

As regards strops, I don’t agree that paddle strops are easier to use than hanging. If you keep the spine and bevel in contact with the strop you are OK - it’s only when you lift the spine that you may get problems, and it’s just as easy to lift the spine regardless of the type of strop. I think it’s a fallacy to believe that it’s more likely on a hanging strop because there is less tension. Between the spine and edge of a razor is less than an inch so it creates its own plane regardless of the fact that the overall strop may be less than taught.

The only thing I would recommend is that it is a wide strop, hanging or paddle (3 inch). This is a personal thing and how I started out, just made it easier for me out of the gates without having to also concentrate on X strokes with a narrower strop. Not that it's difficult to do, and I do it now anyway, but I'm a simple man and having to concentrate on more than 1 thing at a time is taxing.

You also mentioned storage in the bathroom and I know it was in relation to a hanging strop, but just in case you were intending to store your razor in the bathroom, don't, it will rust - unless of course your bathroom is like a desert at all times. I'm sure you knew this but thought it worth a quick mention.

Thanks, that’s really useful to know. It would have another benefit in that a paddle strop can be put away in my cupboard, thus avoiding Mrs 998 moaning about anything hanging on the bathroom wall…
I made my own Paddle and Hanging strop. Honestly, SR shaving wasn't for me. The Learning curve is steep, they are flipping dangerous, do not shave with wet hands, if you drop it, do not try to grab it. I cut my chin just touching it to my skin at the wrong angle. Looked like I'd run into a Scouser at the Football. I wish you luck, I'm sure it is enjoyable when you get the hang of it.

As regards strops, I don’t agree that paddle strops are easier to use than hanging. If you keep the spine and bevel in contact with the strop you are OK - it’s only when you lift the spine that you may get problems, and it’s just as easy to lift the spine regardless of the type of strop. I think it’s a fallacy to believe that it’s more likely on a hanging strop because there is less tension. Between the spine and edge of a razor is less than an inch so it creates its own plane regardless of the fact that the overall strop may be less than taught.
I bow to your superior knowledge Rob, as always, however if you are a beginner, what comes naturally to an experienced user doesn't come so easily. As said you've probably forgotten more on the subject than I'll ever know, I'm speaking from a newbie to SR shaving position.

@wayne_m When I first started I had both types of strop and found it much easier to get a rhythm going on a hanging strop - the only reason I can put this down to is the fact that I felt comfortable having the strop at a slight angle - that is, the hook higher than the handle.
There’s another point here - a very experienced honer on the main USA straight razor site decided to experiment on how much a poor stropping technique affected the blade. He deliberately raised the spine but found that, no matter how many laps, the edge seemed to be unaffected. There’s an old joke that the more you use a straight the sharper it gets - so, maybe, the beginners concern that they have ruined an edge is no more than a lack of technique.

@wayne_m When I first started I had both types of strop and found it much easier to get a rhythm going on a hanging strop - the only reason I can put this down to is the fact that I felt comfortable having the strop at a slight angle - that is, the hook higher than the handle.
There’s another point here - a very experienced honer on the main USA straight razor site decided to experiment on how much a poor stropping technique affected the blade. He deliberately raised the spine but found that, no matter how many laps, the edge seemed to be unaffected. There’s an old joke that the more you use a straight the sharper it gets - so, maybe, the beginners concern that they have ruined an edge is no more than a lack of technique.
Exactly my point. Lack of Technique. There is a learning curve to shaving with and maintaining a SR. Everything can be undone in a split second of poor technique, I know you know your stuff mate, I'd never challenge that but even you must admit it isn't as easy as it sounds changing to SR shaving?

Back
Top Bottom