Newbie requires full setup

It seems most members have broadly recommended the same stuff. The complete starter kit though is not best value. There are cheaper options but as you said cost wasn't a consideration so I've also opted for a better quality brush in my compiled kit and available from one supplier.

Shaving Shack - 10% off
Merkur HD34C
Taylors of Bond Street Cream (TOB's)
Tabac stick refill soap
Simpsons Duke 3 Best shaving brush (ask for short loft 50mm or less) they can vary greatly.
1 pack of Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow blades
Alum Block

Connaught shaving
Blade Sampler Pack
Aftershave/Cologne Sampler

Diamond Edge Ltd
If the Duke 3 is a bit pricey to start then the Vulfix 404 will do.
Vulfix cream

Forget pre shave lotions and potions because everybody has sensitive skin. When you have found the right products and routine for you the term "sensitive skin" gets replaced by "had a crap shave"
Creams are easier to lather than soaps so start with creams.
Most aftershave's work, balms I can take or leave.
Alum block is generally pricey from retailers, but get one. It can be had for peanuts elsewhere or from considerate members when you are settled.

jontymo said:
I hope i'm in the correct forum!

I would like recommendations for a full setup as looking to get into this real shaving experience and rather than ask in each specific forum for items was wondering if full recommendations would be better.

For info i have pretty sensitive skin so would rather spend on plenty of pre shave items than none.
Price is not a problem for all the gear within reason as i'm in this for the time and experience not for saving a few pounds over fusions etc

Also out of interest do any of you have a tray for all your items, the reason i ask is our ensuite is quite small and i rather fancy having the shaving kit i buy on display in the bedroom!

Thanks in advance

Jon

Guaranteed you’ll look back at this one down the line and have a little giggle.

All bases have been pretty much covered for you there Jon. This really is user specific at the end of the day, the challenge is how much or how little you spend narrowing down the kit that gives you the satisfaction (Half the Fun).
Keep it simple for the first couple of months, learn your face (beard growth & direction) hone your routine (I changed from an always shave in the morning to always shave in the evening).

I started with an EJ Best Medium and it’s still going strong after loads of abuse £30/£35.

Blade Sampler Pack from Paul at Connaught which helped narrow my stash down to Super Iridium’s, Yellow 7’s, and Red Personnas.

Soaps and Creams, :lol: :lol: ... here we go. For less than 50p the Palmolive stick is unbeatable in regards to price/performance and availability. For between £15/£30 you can get a famous well established marketed soap that will satisfy your need to try craving (you will get it) and realize that apart from the packaging and old worldly gumff the Palmolive has them fairly well matched.

Pre-shave, save a bundle and use the soap or cream of choice as such, after a nice hot shower and plenty of water on that beard/ stubble.

Enjoy the ride fella, look forward to hearing all about it :shave :)

jontymo said:
http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/traditionalshaving/_STA-CRE-LUX/268168/Starter-Kit---Luxury-Cream

Thanks guys some really fast replies WOW

Do any of you think the kit in the link above is ok for the money, i will also be going for pre shave and alum block and some cologne etc etc :)
Hi jontymo!

Welcometo you, I'm new to the Forum as well. When I started back Trad. Wet shaving, I spent ages searching for the best Starter option, and didn't quite get it right. I ended up giving the lot to my son who did rather better with it than I could! I have to say though, the kit that you are looking at appears to be "just the ticket". you appear to have quite a bit of quality there for a fairly modest outlay. I would seriously think about adding a astyptic pencil though,(only a couple of qiud but will last for "ever".

All the best. spandex.

Hi jontymo

I bought the normal soap starter kit from The Traditional Shaving Co. I'd recommend all the kits but if I could do things differently I would:

Upgrade the brush to the Pure badger. The one they give is softer than boar hair obviously but still too scratchy for me. The length of the hair (loft?) is a bit long and makes lathering slightly tricky. But still very possible to whip up great lather with HOT water.

I'm not so keen on Derby blades. I only came to this conclusion after trying different blades.

The Merkur HD 34C is perfect and so are any of the creams/soaps they provide.

For me cost was an issue at the time so I went for the kit. But if I didn't have a budget I would have:

Gone for a Super or Silvertip (I can only imagine how soft they would feel!)

Invested heavily in various creams (If you weigh up all the factors, like price, lather, scent etc., TOBS is superb).

So I guess making a decision is going to be easy for you!

Hi Jon,

I found myself in the same situation as you fairly recently (I've had my gear for around 4 months now, having treated myself before Christmas). My friend recommended I went to Carter and Bond in West London, so I did. They had such a wide range of brushes and razors available, as well as creams and treatments. Not only this, the shop assistant went out of his way to help me and was really knowledgable about the products on offer. I see you're in Huddersfield so perhaps a bit far for you to travel, but might be worth phoning them? They have a website too - <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.carterandbond.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.carterandbond.com</a><!-- w -->

Good luck!

Cheers all, what a great response.

Just need to work my way through what you have all advised, i will post on here when decision made and hopefully get my orders in by weekend.

Jon

jontymo said:
Just need to work my way through what you have all advised, i will post on here when decision made and hopefully get my orders in by weekend.
Save time and just buy everything that's been listed. You'll end up doing that anyway -weep- help me make it stop...

cheese_dave said:
jontymo said:
Save time and just buy everything that's been listed. You'll end up doing that anyway -weep- help me make it stop...

I could post a " For sale" notice in BST for all your gear if it helps :eek:

Richard.j.goodyear said:
Hi Jon,

I found myself in the same situation as you fairly recently (I've had my gear for around 4 months now, having treated myself before Christmas). My friend recommended I went to Carter and Bond in West London, so I did. They had such a wide range of brushes and razors available, as well as creams and treatments. Not only this, the shop assistant went out of his way to help me and was really knowledgable about the products on offer. I see you're in Huddersfield so perhaps a bit far for you to travel, but might be worth phoning them? They have a website too - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.carterandbond.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.carterandbond.com</a><!-- m -->

Good luck!

Funny how all of your stuff comes from Crap and Bollocks of London :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OK my 2 pence, all the advice / suggestions above are completely valid, though as you can see, there are plenty of variations so i will personally recommend no products. None at all! My advice will be this, as you stated that money is not really an issue, don't fall into the trap that the more you spend on an item the better it will necessarily be for you. So start cheap, get gear second hand, vintage, PIFs, decants etc.... Better to start low then spend upwards later - than start high and realise you've been suckered!

Of course, the above could be a load of bollocks, but then again.........

moodymick said:
OK my 2 pence, all the advice / suggestions above are completely valid, though as you can see, there are plenty of variations so i will personally recommend no products. None at all! My advice will be this, as you stated that money is not really an issue, don't fall into the trap that the more you spend on an item the better it will necessarily be for you. So start cheap, get gear second hand, vintage, PIFs, decants etc.... Better to start low then spend upwards later - than start high and realise you've been suckered!

Of course, the above could be a load of bollocks, but then again.........

Having visions of a newbie DE shaver crying into a £50 starter kit because he has sliced his face with his new expensive gear.

Thanks guys but just ordered, and it will be a little more than £50!!!

Merkur 34C
Sample blades
Alum bar
Aqua Velva, D R Harris, Bay Rum 10ml samples all from Conn*****

Palmolive cream, soap stick and styptic pencil from Morr****s

Just need to decide on a brush so posted on the brush section for more selection.

Time to worry now :shave !!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers all

Jon

Update guys

Went with the suggested vulfix 404, i will start with this and no doubt order another brush within a month(if i can wait that long).

Jon

Back
Top Bottom