Newbie hello from Carlisle

Hi all,

Just thought i'd pop in to say hello.

Have got a selection of blades on the way to try, just need advice on a suitable razor for a newbie to DE shaving. Have used a gillette fusion for 3 years :? and am looking forward to some advice. At the mo i am using boots shaving soap dish and a 404 bush, quite like the lather it produces.
So if anybody wants to point me in the direction of a suitable starter razor whch is not too dear (certainly no more than £30) i would be very gratefull.

Regards

Mark

Hello and welcome Mark :)

Keep an eye out on the BST thread for some bargains. I'd personaly recommend an EJ.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdSrch.cgi/@cTraditional%20safety%20&%20double%20edge%20razors@b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... 20razors@b</a><!-- m -->

Hi Mark and welcome to TSR! Yeah, keep an eye on the buy and sell section. Ask a question about what vintage razor gives the most for coin, in the DE section first and then wait for the right one to turn up. :D

Hi and welcome to the fray. Pull up a seat and have a look around. You'll learn a lot from the guy's and girls on here.
I can definitely recommend the merkur 34c or a 38. My first was a Merkur 38R. Very well made and superb to shave with. The brush you have is an excellent starter brush, and will serve you well. If you want a change from the Boots soap i can highly recommend Palmolive classic, nice and cheap and is very good quality. If you want to go a little up market i would also recommend having a look at Nanny's soaps, they are very good hand made soaps.
Have some fun.

Hi & very welcome Lilykins. You'll probably be inundated with good suggestions for a starter DE razor. There really are that many excellent ones out there within your price range. My own recommendation would be the Muehle R89, which has the same shaving head as the Edwin Jagger 89. It's a reasonable length of handle, which is deeply cross hatched affording a secure grip for soapy fingers; and the head is very well engineered, giving a fairly non aggresive yet satisfyingly close shave . I also don't believe that it's a razor you'll grow out of too quickly.

Whatever you decide on, enjoy the trip !

JohnnyO. :D /

Hello and welcome! Concerning razors I'll say what I always say: a 40s or 50s Gillette Superspeed or Rocket is ideal for your purposes, and if you're prepared to settle for a cosmetically imperfect ("shaver grade") example, you'll probably pick one up for a tenner or less. As heroblob says a stick of Palmolive is probably the best bargain going in the soap line, and I'd also have a good root around in the appropriate boards to see what our resident soap makers have to offer. Oh, and a blade sample pack is well worth getting: available from Connaught.

RB73 said:
Hello and welcome Mark :)

Keep an eye out on the BST thread for some bargains. I'd personaly recommend an EJ.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdSrch.cgi/@cTraditional%20safety%20&%20double%20edge%20razors@b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... 20razors@b</a><!-- m -->

Yep I agree, great beginner razor that you will never need to change. Unless you spend more than a few minutes here. :roll:

And welcome to TSR Mark! :D

lelykins said:
I see that Frenchblade has a couple of vintage offerings on sale, anybody care to shed any light on whether they would be good for a first timer?

Hey fellow Newbie

I grabbed a slightly more worn fat handle tech from french last week. I had my eyes on a tech based on the B&B reviews, all of which describe it as non-agressive shave suited to learners, it certainly is working for me, there is also a decent review / article on the various tech flavours in the razor reviews forum on here.

As regards dealing with french, kit arrived within the week, and he was more worried about where it was than i was, think mine was the last parcel to land apparently.

Back
Top Bottom