Newbie Alert

Welcome!..superspeeds by Gillette are very popular to start with also Merkur...sample DE packs are a great way to find the right "blade n razor combo"

B

Pip pip Steve, so where in Shropshire? back of out house is in WM, front is in Shropshire, hence Wolves post code yet under Bridgnorth Council.

Anyway, a vintage Gillette would be a good starter. I would honestly recommend a Gillette Flair Tip, as relatively cheap and easy to get hold of, good weight and balance and shaves well with a wide variety of blades.

Speaking of which, get a blade sample pack from Paul at Connaught, then get stuck in! :)

moodymick said:
Pip pip Steve, so where in Shropshire? back of out house is in WM, front is in Shropshire, hence Wolves post code yet under Bridgnorth Council.

Anyway, a vintage Gillette would be a good starter. I would honestly recommend a Gillette Flair Tip, as relatively cheap and easy to get hold of, good weight and balance and shaves well with a wide variety of blades.

Speaking of which, get a blade sample pack from Paul at Connaught, then get stuck in! :)

Hi moodymick,

I'm in Shrewsbury, so always at risk of being subsumed back into Wales in the event of them launching an attack. OK, it's not happened for several years, but you can never be sure...

It looks like some kind of vintage Gillette is a must, then. In the meantime, I've picked up a Merkur from my local tobacconist. I think it's a 23C, as it's a long handled one, but I've not found any identifying marks.

I've got everything I need now for my first DE shave. Though I keenly await my NF brush, I have a cheapish Menu-U one to see me through. So, today's the day. I've read everything I can find, watched a couple of online videos and I'm ready to rock-n-roll, styptic pencil at the ready. Wish me luck; I feel like I'm about to lose my virginity (it had to happen, sooner or later).

smorgo said:
moodymick said:

Hi moodymick,

I'm in Shrewsbury, so always at risk of being subsumed back into Wales in the event of them launching an attack. OK, it's not happened for several years, but you can never be sure...

It looks like some kind of vintage Gillette is a must, then. In the meantime, I've picked up a Merkur from my local tobacconist. I think it's a 23C, as it's a long handled one, but I've not found any identifying marks.

I've got everything I need now for my first DE shave. Though I keenly await my NF brush, I have a cheapish Menu-U one to see me through. So, today's the day. I've read everything I can find, watched a couple of online videos and I'm ready to rock-n-roll, styptic pencil at the ready. Wish me luck; I feel like I'm about to lose my virginity (it had to happen, sooner or later).

Yup, that'll be the Tobacconist at the bottom of the hill on the left as you go down the main street, sort of across from Blacks I suppose?

Anyhow, you've already bought a razor by a reputable maker and you are already (as we all did) readily lining up your next few acquisitions, but just take your time. Trust me there is always another bargain on the horizon, another fad, another - gosh, you really must try one of these they're amazing!!

Get some technique down, watch Mantic's videos on Youtube and practice, practice, practice. That way with a bit of technique behind you, when you get to switching gear you will be better prepared for adapting your style.

Course, you could ignore all that shit and just go on a BST / eBay frenzy like everyone else did - and still does :? ;)

moodymick said:
Anyhow, you've already bought a razor by a reputable maker and you are already (as we all did) readily lining up your next few acquisitions, but just take your time. Trust me there is always another bargain on the horizon, another fad, another - gosh, you really must try one of these they're amazing!!
+1, stick with the Merkur for now, and when you feel ready for a TTO, you'll find plenty on BST from time to time :D

Max

Back
Top Bottom