Newbie Alert

Hello, gentlemen.

Firstly, I'm desperately hoping not to have committed a terrible faux pas in the first line of my first post!

I happened upon TSR whilst researching for potential purchases. I'm uneducated in the art of true wet shaving, being a combination electric and many-expensive-bladed wet shaver for all these years (too many to count). I feel that I've reached a point in my life where I should be able to turn my morning shave from a chore into a regime of sensual pampering.

Despite having only been lurking here for a day, I've taken in a significant amount of apparently well-informed opinion and ordered a New Forest Super two band 2205 with an Alpalina handle from Paul. I have no idea if it's the right brush for me, but I'm sure it will be a fine introduction. I fear it might be the first of many...

Now, it appears that I have many other items to shop for. Ooh, goody!

Any and all advice gratefully received...

Regards,
Steve

Hello!

Get a vintage Gillette TTO ("twist to open" also called a "butterfly razor") and some DE (double edge) blades (Derby are a good starter blade).

Then there's soap and/or cream. A Palmolive stick is a good starter.

Then you just need to practice. A lot.

And have fun. You'll be getting great shaves at little cost in no time.

And then you'll start spending. Oh dear.

Never mind! Some of us here are actually still married.

Hello Steve, welcome to TSR, the home of sybaritic shaving. :D

+ another one on the vintage Gillette. They're all good, but a Superspeed or its slightly more refined British cousin the Rocket is a fine razor for life available at sensible prices. The padre is on safe ground recommending Palmolive for a first soap (the ultimate shaving bargain), but I'd also suggest that you consider the range of very fine soft soaps from Nanny, also known here as soapalchemist.

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

I'm very much liking the idea of a TTO, so the recommendation for a vintage Gillette is very welcome. I thought I might get something like a Merkur to get started (I was thinking of a long-handled model like the 23C, being used to cartridge razors) and look for a Gillette TTO when I have some experience.

And I've added a new word to my vocabulary; "sybaritic".

I think I'm going to like it here...

Back
Top Bottom