Newbi info and advice

Hi All
Having read through this and other forums for the past few months I have now become a convert to straight shaving.
Found these in a local "junk shop" and I am looking for any info.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://my.pho.to/wellboy/s1/albums/untitled_gallery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://my.pho.to/wellboy/s1/albums/untitled_gallery/</a><!-- m -->
Razor 1 No markings ecept the name BOHLER STAHL on the tang
Razor 2 has R CLARK Newcastle on the blade. EXPRESS on one side of the tang and GROUND IN SHEFFIELD on the otherside.
Razor 3 Bismarck Razor Bismarck on one side of tang and Made in Germany solingen on other side.
Any info on these razors please.
There is no real damage to any of these razors except for tarnishing.
What is the best way to clean them up.
I am also thinking of trying to hone these razors myself but am really unsure about doing it, I have honed woodworking tools before but something against the skin is totally something else.
What would be the the best one to try to do myself and the best to send to someone who can do a proffesional job on it.
Sorry about the quality of photos but my camera is playing up.

As far as any professional refurbishing or initial honing & whetting are concerned can I suggest you google "The Invisible Edge", which is a site whioch may well be of interest to you. There are a few guys on this forum who have progressed through to preparing their own open razors, I'm sure that some of them will be re[plying to your post presently. All the best & nice to say hello & welcome.

JohnnyO. :cool:

Alright wellboy. I was wondering about learning how to hone my own open razors and then someone told me it would cost an arm and a leg in stones and even then I might be rubbish at it, so I gave up on the spot. What a quitter I am. Neil Miller has honed two open razors for me and done a fine job.

I just want a junk shop like yours near me. Aren't those Bismarcks made by Dovo and supposed to me really top razors?

Howdo wellboy. I do my own honing for the most part and I'm happy to share what works for me, but the man you should talk to is Neil Miller. Have a look at his honing sticky in the straight razor section. If you're new to shaving with open razors, you'd be best off subbing the honing out, at least first time round, to give yourself a benchmark.

[edit] CD: I recently saw a Dovo Bismarck at close quarters, and it wasn't even close to being a top razor. Nice blade, but substandard fit and finish: I'd like to think it was atypical.

Arrowhead said:
I recently saw a Dovo Bismarck at close quarters, and it wasn't even close to being a top razor. Nice blade, but substandard fit and finish: I'd like to think it was atypical.
I thought I'd heard it referred to as "the famous Bismarck razor", or something that implied it was special at any rate. Was the one you saw a new one or a vintage one?

cheese_dave said:
Arrowhead said:
I recently saw a Dovo Bismarck at close quarters, and it wasn't even close to being a top razor. Nice blade, but substandard fit and finish: I'd like to think it was atypical.
I thought I'd heard it referred to as "the famous Bismarck razor", or something that implied it was special at any rate. Was the one you saw a new one or a vintage one?
This was a new one with bone scales. The blade was way off centre, the finish on the scales frankly shabby, and the goldwash and red infill mastic apparently applied by someone with the shakes. The grinding was excellent though. I have a hazy recollection that "Bismarck" refers to the shoulderless design rather than being a Dovo trademark, but don't for goodness' sake take my word for that. I know of at least one person whose favourite razor is one of these, so in all fairness I think that the one I inspected should be chalked up as a Friday afternoon rogue.

Back
Top Bottom