New York, New York!!!

Thank you all, I'm delighted I'm not going to arrive and have to start looking for a fishing rod straight away for want of any ideas as to what else to do. :lol: Lots of good ideas there and I've now got the camera battery charging.

I've finally started looking at the guidebook. What is really appealing to me is China town. Anyone been there?? Any recommendations for restaurants there?
I've also worked out that the hotel is a stones throw from the Empire State Building!
Now I'm really getting excited.

We shall see.......mind you I always start thinking on holiday that I want to move to wherever I am. I'm expecting it to have a real buzz; something that IMHO Birmingham is sadly lacking. Apart from Broad St. which seems to attract mainly scantily clad extremely drunk youngsters, the place is like a ghost town after about 6.30. And even in the day time everyone on the street looks miserable.
Planning to get a bus from Newark to Central station, so I can check that out en route to the hotel; how's that for efficient sight seeing. So I'll see if I can find that ticket window. :lol: And I'll try to remember not to ask where the WTC is. The twin towers were still there when HWMOM last went years ago.

Hey there, how y'all doin??
Well, I think I've pretty well done Manhatten! Just about recovered now from jet lag. I do think the grid system they have for the streets is fantastic. Totally unlike me, I always had a pretty good idea of where I was. And I liked the really long straight streets, so that dispite the huge buildings all around you don't get that closed in feeling that you get in most UK cities, as there is always a long view.
Didn't do Macys or Bloomingdales, reasoning that there was no point in tempting myself to buy things I can't afford. Did pick up a few bargains in more down market shops.
Two meals in China Town were very disappointing.....must just have been unlucky, I suppose. Had a lovely Korean lunch on the last day, good value and loads of variety. Never did find the cheese cake, and only got to try pizza at the airport so probably not the best place for quality, but over all I found the food good.
Did get to the top of the Rock, and views were clear and very impressive. Saw ice skating in Central park. Went to Grand Central station, which I really liked....certainly puts any train station I've been in before to shame. Did ground zero and the memorial center there.
I was surprised at how slim New Yorker's are (dispite the size of the portions); I would say you see more obviously overweight people on the streets of Birmingham, which was a shame, as I was looking forward to seeming positively emaciated beside massively overweight Americans!!
Cosmetic ingredients arrived at hotel as planned, and according to notice in airport on return, I could have bought nearly 3 times as much without having to pay tax/ duty.....next time!
Must have walked about 10 - 15 miles a day, never did get a bus, and only one taxi.
I hate the tipping culture, and found the pushyness for tips and trying to sell stuff vaguly reminiscent of 3rd world countries I have been in, which was a bit odd.
Glad I saw it, and it has some great architecture, but unlike my normal reaction when on holiday, I didn't think for a moment that I would like to live there. And I certainly wouldn't like to be poor there........although I must say that homeless people being allowed to use shopping trolleys seems like a good idea. You'ld need a shopping trolley full of sleeping bags to survive a night on the streets in those temperatures.

Yes, apart from the inevitable return to the day job, I am glad to be back. It wasn't the best time of year to see NY at its best, HWMOM and I walked around looking like bandits, with our scarves wrapped around our faces.

Thanks BS (an unfortunate abbreviation),
Hope you get warmer weather in Spring. Guidebook says autumn is the best time to visit, I imagine Central park would look great then.

soapalchemist said:
Yes, apart from the inevitable return to the day job, I am glad to be back.
Oy! Your day job is to post me those soaps I've ordered! I want them posted with a smile and a joyful heart, not all miserable and with a grump.

I'll do my best CD; I may manage a serene smile if I can get to the post office before the massive Monday queue starts. I will in any event post them with fond thoughts of you and your family's moist clean skin in mind. :)

Back
Top Bottom