New York, New York!!!

Greetings gentlemen!
I'm off to NY next week to celebrate my birthday, although in my opinion is more a matter for commisserations.
I've already been given a few ideas on what to do and what not to do (thank you Blyth Spirit and Fido).
So I thought I'ld ask for advice from you on any must see things, places to go, places not to go and especially places to eat. :hungrig :hungrig :hungrig We're staying on Broadway (never thought I'ld be on Broadway :lol: ).
I haven't posted for a while, so latest news on the soapy front is that new Sandalwoody and Warm Spice are now available, and Eucalyptus and Tea Tree will be available in a few weeks, for those of you who like the medicinal approach. Still working on aftershave balms......samples will be available when I think I've got the hang of it. I have sourced some dinky 30ml plastic bottles. Should be ideal for samples, and now I'm thinking travel kits/ hand luggage. Very important if flying on budget airlines, methinks.

I've heard you should definitely visit the Empire State, but you need to view the Empire State from the Chrysler Building first. But I don't know where I heard that. It may have been on this site.

Many happy returns though :)

Thanks BS. Hopefuly I can check that out. A girl at work just came back, and says it's totally freezing.
I just remembered something that happened when HWMOM and I were in Paris many years ago, which I thought I would share, thereby enabling you all to have a chuckle at my stupidity.
I was looking at the metro map, and saw a station called the Bastille. So I suggested it would be a great idea to go there, as surely it must be right beside the Bastille, a truly historic building that must surely be worth a visit.
So off we went on the metro. We were surprised when we surfaced that nothing that looked vaguely like the Bastille could be seen. So off we went down side streets, asking passers by in very poor french 'Ou est la Bastille'. Of course, we couldn't understand a word thay said in response. Eventually we gave up and went to a cafe and had a drink. We asked the woman serving there, and she managed to explain that the Bastille was destroyed a few hundred years ago. For the rest of the time we sat there, every time a new person would come in she would talk excitedly to them, - the word Bastille we could understand, then she would point to us and much laughter would ensue. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Drive over Verazzano bridge (eastwards) during dawn, for a fabulous view of Manhattan.

Visit Connetquot state park (if still accessible) with its 1890's sportsman's club, now sadly closed trout hatchery, and its quaint beat-system fishery on the Connetquot river, the closest thing to a chalk stream you'll find on the US' right coast.

I lived and worked in NY for a while, didn't see much but the pizza was very good. Seriously good. This seems to be a decent guide for cheap eats if that's your thing.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/restaurants-bars/9142/best-cheap-eats-in-new-york-city-everything-under-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/res ... g-under-10</a><!-- m -->

hunnymonster said:
henkverhaar said:
... and its quaint beat-system fishery on the Connetquot river....

Woohoo - most of Scotland's fishing rivers are officially quaint :mrgreen: (all but the Border Esk run on a "private" beat system - the Border Esk is run as part of the English "rod licence" system).

Yeah, but does any of YOUR quaint rivers have a beat system where the beats are 30 m in length and all beats have their own wooden casting platform, as the only spot from which you are allowed to fish?

(Note that the Connetquot only worked this way during summer and autumn, when it was open to indivudual anglers (and presumably also worked this way pre-1973, when it was a private, Sportsman's club fishery); during the winter months, the only way to fish the Connetquot was to hire the whole river for a day, with a group; you could then fish the entire river, from the shore, or, below the hatchery, while wading. I did this every year 2005-2005, in November, while attending the International Fly Tying Symposium in Somerset, NJ, as a demonstration tier. The Monday following the show, a group of local fly fishers from around NYC would organize a fishing day, including on stream lunch, on the Connetquot.)

henkverhaar said:
Yeah, but does any of YOUR quaint rivers have a beat system where the beats are 30 m in length and all beats have their own wooden casting platform, as the only spot from which you are allowed to fish?

The beats on the Tweed around here are between 25 & 50 yards long - no casting platforms and no actual safe place to cast from the bank (you'd be "in") so you have to hire the official boat and ghillie along with the beat(s)...

Well, thanks for the fishing tips :? Pizza sounds good. HWMOM will certainly drag me around the MOMA.
I do have a guidebook which I will have to have a look at.

soapalchemist said:
Thanks Cheese Dave; I thought it was the Rockerfella building?
I dunno, it was some building or other. I may be confusing it with the skyline of Grand Theft Auto IV.

gta4_1-a.jpg

Hi Soapal, my guess is you will do the "female shopping" thing at Macy`s and Bloomingdales, take your passport when shopping `cos some shops knock off the tax if you prove you`re a tourist.
Visit to Central Park is also in order, long walks in the crisp air to walk off the New York sized food portions.
Empire State, Rockerfella both well worth a visit for the views.
Times Square, magical at night.
Statue of Liberty , obviously, 3 years back you had to go through passport control, pass through a glass box (shower cubicle) with an extractor fan above checking for chemicals or explosive residue, wear trousers or you end up like the Maralyn Monroe scene with your skirt billowing up.
Ground zero, (I`m a Fireman).
Open top bus tour.
For the best steak in NY, travel from 7th av towards 6th av, travelling on either w55th or w54th street, on your right is an Irish pub, frequented by local cops, food is outta this world.
Take a camera with a big memory card and post some pics on your return, (particularly if you do the Maralyn Monroe), happy birthday, Harleyrider.

I did most of the stuff already mentioned, but also went to Ellis Island. Has a great sense of history , especially as I'm Irish.
When We went to Central park , there was lots of musiccoming from Strawberry fields , a band were playong and a few hundred people were singing along to Beatles songs. At the entrance a pupeteer had a John Lennon muppet 'playing' the guitar and singing ,all John Lennon (non Beatles) songs , perfectly lip synched. It was John Lennons birthday. SWMBO thought I had lost it, standing there looking at a stupid puppet , she did'nt recognise the music , had to explain to her and she still did'nt quite get it. She knew that he was in the Beatles . She reckons Westlife are better than the Beatles.

Back
Top Bottom