New Website

Pig Cat said:
Er...best nip this in the bud. Ollie was joking about Sir Prize. He is not that crazy crucifixion-loving dandy.

Thanks Pigster!

I'm afeared my humour is getting too obscure / obtuse / obscene.

Strange. Just went to SirPrize's member details to check when he last visited TSR but that part is blank. Is Anthony OK?? I've got his email so I'm going to ask him.

Delighted to hear that. Although hope for SirPirze coming back on the board won't be a bit like that man who phoned the hospital to make an appointment only to be told he was dead.
SP, I'm working on my best approximation of a rose scent (it may have a smidgeon of the real thing in it, but rose oil is so restricted that apart from the prohibitive cost, the amount you are allowed to use would not be detectable by the human nose), so when I've got it as good as I can, a little freebie is coming your way.....if you are still with us. ;)

If rose oil is restricted what is going in to the other rose-scented soaps and creams then? Do other manufacturers cheat and use other scents to create a rose smell?

PC, most manufacturers use a thing called 'fragrance oil'......not just for rose, but for nearly everything. I presume when the labelling requirements were being brought in, in the EU, the perfume industry had a powerful lobby, and managed to persuade the powers that be that they should not have to reveal all their secrets. Which I can totally understand to an extent. So it is permissible to simply put on the label 'fragrance' or 'parfum', and then list any known allergens. (Waiting for Henk to correct me at some point). But what they don't have to tell you is that the perfume contains man made molecules which smell like things we are familiar with, but which do not exist in nature. So if your product just says 'e.g. parfum' you have no way of knowing whether it is a blend of essential oils, or a synthetic simile.
Henk can no doubt tell us that there are no known problems with these things; personally, I just try to do what I feel is the best I can. Since becoming soapy obsessed, I have just felt that although I may not be perfect in personal life, and although there are always consequences environmentally from whatever we do, I should do what I can to be as natural as possible if I'm 'putting it out there'.

Well, as far as I can work out (and grateful for any help from Henk here), we are only allowed in a soap to use it at about .028% in soap. I have a query on this very subject waiting for an answer from the chemist I use (he is notorious amongst soapmakers for the time he takes.......). I use between 2 - 3% Essential oils in my soaps depending on the oils and the soap making method. So although rose is one of the stronger E.O.s scent wise, I really wonder what good it is to me, apart from possibly the most expensive oil burner around....and no doubt that might kill me as well. ;)

Back
Top Bottom