New straight

I refer you to a previous discussion regarding Dovo's on a thread regarding an Edwin Jagger re-badge.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2980</a><!-- l -->

If I where to buy a new Dovo it prob. would be the Bergischer, it´s a high end blade from them + they do look _very_ nice :D. Revisor razors are very nice aswell, if you want a traditional German razor.

Not sure whether I like the Bergischer Löwe or not really, but I'll be very interested indeed to hear what you make of it, pedro. A new high end Dovo passed through my hands recently (very briefly!) and I'd like to know whether it was a rogue or not. In the interests of balance I still have no problem at all with my 1516, though; it's popularity seems well deserved to me.

For what it's worth, a look at Revisor seems like a good idea to me too.

I owned one a couple of years ago with blonde horn scales. Very nice razor, wicked sharp and provided an excellent shave.

A bit too much 'bling' for my taste with the gold wash and all. Not that I avoid razors with gold wash, but these just strike me as over the top. The rubber condom is a rust trap, no matter how carefully you treat the razor, but does provide a nice grip.

If they came in 6/8ths I might have one, but as it is the only 5/8ths I use is a TIPTLE.

Nowadays I just stick to old-fashioned straights not that there's anything wrong with new provided by vendors. The thing I never cared for bout Dovo or razors in general are the gold washes.

Arrowhead said:
Not sure whether I like the Bergischer Löwe or not really, but I'll be very interested indeed to hear what you make of it, pedro. A new high end Dovo passed through my hands recently (very briefly!) and I'd like to know whether it was a rogue or not. In the interests of balance I still have no problem at all with my 1516, though; it's popularity seems well deserved to me.

For what it's worth, a look at Revisor seems like a good idea to me too.

A lot of good things have been said about Revisor. They're just not as often talked about as other razors brands.

You are all bad people now I am looking at the 6/8 shoulderless revisor(without the gold wash) and thinking i could get that and maybe a square point bismark(still going to get a new dovo). so my one new razor is possibly turning into two. :?
Will just have to tell her if she asks got the two for a tenner of e-bay

Aha, a Bismarck eh? That's the one I was referring to, as it happens. Leaving everything else aside, my impression was that it looks like a fine shaver, heavy but balanced, and the grinding is first rate: potentially a very good choice. All the shoulderless Revisors look mouthwatering too.

pedro083 said:
You are all bad people now I am looking at the 6/8 shoulderless revisor(without the gold wash) and thinking i could get that and maybe a square point bismark(still going to get a new dovo). so my one new razor is possibly turning into two. :?
Will just have to tell her if she asks got the two for a tenner of e-bay

Well, maybe I can save you a couple of cents... I´ve got a shoulderless 6/8 Revisor I could sell to you. I allready got another Revisor and I don´t want to be greedy :lol:, seriously though I´m saving for a DD and some other blades. PM if interested ...
SNB13127.jpg

SNB13129.jpg

I just purchased my first Dovo (a NOS from the 1950s) from Roedter. Sure enough I had to hone it myself but now it's great:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scharferladen.de/shop/50er-jahre-dovo-rasiermesser-p-3478.html?osCsid=62b65e1e29043f90557903490be41596" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.scharferladen.de/shop/50er-j ... 490be41596</a><!-- m -->

Michael

I don't know about vintage dovo's, but i did recently hone a bismark, and though it was nice i've handled far better shavers, my thiers issard being pretty much the top of that list to date.

Personally i would hunt for a good vintage from ebay, always good bargains to be had there.

Back
Top Bottom