new straight

hi guys picked this straight of ebay the other day just looking
for some info on it is a famex wald-solingen its strange from what i found on line. its german but it has a scottish bagpiper on the front of the blade with writing that says the bagpiper registr. was wondering if any one knows any thing bought this razor thanks

When you said "Wald" I immediately thought it would turn out to be yet another Ern trademark, but the nearest I can come up with is "Famexi" by E. & F. Hörster, best known for the Horstator razors. There's also Famex Werkzeuge, a German general tool supplier who may well be connected in some tenuous way.

Famex go back quite a long time - they used to make the old mechanical hair clippers. Their razors are quite common in France - much more common than over here. One interesting thing is that the bagpiper motif was sometimes inlaid on scales, and these scales were used by another manufacturer - Wigawa. As far as I know there is no tie between the two companies/brands, but you never know.

I do know that Famex and E. & F. Horster were two completely separate companies, as both were bought by another company (WSH Cutlery) who still keeps each brand name.

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom