Hi all, have joined up after reading this board for a week.

I've recently switched over to DE shaving in order to escape the financial tyranny of cartridge based shaving systems. It's not my first time with a DE razor though, my 'shaving CV' :

The late 80s saw me using my dad's redundant 2 piece Personna razor at the back of the medicine cabinet as my first razor (can't remember what brand of blade) Foam was made up using his old worn out brush and Lux soap. Cut myself a lot so shortly after I switched to the then current Gillette Contour and used that with canned foam for the next decade.

The late 90s saw me using the Gillette Sensor and by then I swore by Noxzema foam.

A couple of years ago I started resenting paying a fiver a can for Noxzema and switched to the £1 a can Gillette or Palmolive foam. Couldn't tell the difference.

About a year ago I got hacked off with shelling out a fiver for a pack of 5 Sensor Excel blades so started buying any old introductory cartridge razor and the blades that came with it. None could match the Sensor for comfort unfortunately. I then tried a Braun electric and whilst good for a quick shave it wasn't really for me.

So, recently I bought a Wilkinson Sword Classic razor with a pack of 5 blades for under £4. I was most surprised by how smooth the shave was, I was honestly expecting to cut myself. I also used a cheap canned foam and used my normal method of one pass, against the grain so was most surprised.

Since reading up on the subject of DE shaving I have now switched to a two pass method - WTG, re-lather and then across the grain. I have also bought a brush - Vulfix 404 mix and so far Palmolive stick (pressed into a ramekin) and Ingram cream. Much as I love the scent of Palmolive the Ingram is a smoother, more comfortable shave so far. Next on my list is ARKO. The experience is improving all the time.

I feel there's still massive scope for improvement so look forward to reading and contributing more.

Welcome to The Shaving Room.

Sounds like you've had the same journey as most of us.

(Noxzema and Sensor are still very much in use in this house).

Back
Top Bottom