New Edwin Jagger / Muehle head

Have recently used the EJ with the new head.

Not a bad shave but comes no where near my Future which is so smooth compared to the EJ.

with the grain shave on 1.5 and ATG 2.5 only two passes and a little touch up around jaw line

Any one had experience with the Vision is it any better than its little brother the Future.

Valuer

Hi Valuer. +1 on the mighty Futur. Initially a bit worried about it being too aggressive and cumbersome (it is a tad bulky, mind), I can't get enough of it now. Very smooth shaves with it, and I love the noise it makes when cutting. Can't help you with the Vision, but the Futur has rapidly become my benchmark razor. :cool:

My new Jagger with this new head arrived yesterday. Looking closely at it the head is for all practical purposes the same as that on my Merkurs 34C and 38C. Looking at each of them with blades in place I would need a microscope to detect any difference in blade position. The Jagger has a nice feel, the same design as the Muhle R41 handle. The weight of the razor is 79 gms compared with the 48gm Muhle.
I had a wholly satisfying smooth shave with the Jagger this morning with a Gillette Thin blade. Took the usual care and did not feel it was quite so tricky to get right as the R41.

Fido said:
The weight of the razor is 79 gms compared with the 48gm Muhle.
I had a wholly satisfying smooth shave with the Jagger this morning with a Gillette Thin blade. Took the usual care and did not feel it was quite so tricky to get right as the R41.
Congratulations and welcome to the EJ Fellowship.
Do you feel that the difference in weight may contribute in the Jagger's favor?

Prophet

Odd really. I very much like the lightness of the R41. The extra weight of the Jagger is not a plus for me. Despite its extra weight though, I found it easier to use than the open comb. I didn't feel that my sensitive areas were quite so threatened. Over the past few weeks I have actually tried 11 popular razors, old and new. My favourites, not in order, I'm still thinking about it, are Merkur 38C,Jagger (edges the Muhle R41) Gillette Superspeed (I like it's simplicity) and my surprising little star. a chance gift from an old friend, a 1918 Gillette Single Ring. At less than 50gm a complete contrast to the heavy Merkur. An open comb I could live with. My DE studies are over for now. It's straights ahead!

Fido

I think you bought the EJ with the imitation ivory handle, right? How does it look? Plasticky or good quality like a high end brush handle?

Also, from your review, you don't really rate the new EJ it much better (if at all) than the standard Merkur HD. Is that right?

Thanks

OK Fido, I am going to have a bit of fun with my next shave.
I generally use my EJ Bulbous which weighs in at a massive 114 grams.
My EJ Georgian is 20g lighter at 84 grams, still no lightweight, but decidedly different.
I will use it for my next shave, and to add a little more drama, I will be using the old Merkur head.
This won't happen until Friday night as I shave every other day. I will report my experience the following day.

I do chuckle over our razor discussions.

The Jagger razor looks good - it is very good value - I paid just £20 including postage. I don't feel that it looks cheap and tacky.

The Jagger is an excellent razor. With the right blade and sound technique it will give perfect shaves every time. The Merkur 38C is not going to give a better closer shave than the Jagger. But it edges it for me because of it's weight and size and it feels just perfect in my hands.

Have fun Prophet. I think I'll stick to my Merkur for my DE shaves as I make my transition to straights. But I certainly won't be giving up my DE shaving completely. Indeed I may make a full return if there is too much carnage.

Well I am a couple of days late since I didn't shave all weekend. But today I went after a five-day growth of stubble with my EJ Georgian with the old Merkur head. I used a Gillette "Swede" with two shaves on it already. I have to say that the shave was not unusual for me in any noticable way. While the Georgian is decidedly lighter in the hand, it was not noticable in the shave. I suspect that the offset in the shape of the handle is the culprit. Most of the handles weight is in the end, so I think it has a different balance point than one that is more uniform in diameter.
I managed to do a full four passes, whereas I generally stop at three passes. That, I think was largely due to my lather. I am devoted to Nancy Boy shave cream and today's mix was so good that I wished I could save it for my next shave. I couldn't help but to continue. The shave was fantastic.
At any rate, I don't think I was able to get a truly fair comparison based on weight difference or any difference in the old and new heads.
I guess I am a schill for Edwin Jagger razors.

Regards

Fido said:
I do chuckle over our razor discussions.

The Jagger razor looks good - it is very good value - I paid just £20 including postage. I don't feel that it looks cheap and tacky.

The Jagger is an excellent razor. With the right blade and sound technique it will give perfect shaves every time. The Merkur 38C is not going to give a better closer shave than the Jagger. But it edges it for me because of it's weight and size and it feels just perfect in my hands.

Have fun Prophet. I think I'll stick to my Merkur for my DE shaves as I make my transition to straights. But I certainly won't be giving up my DE shaving completely. Indeed I may make a full return if there is too much carnage.

What a difference a few days can make! A couple more uses of the Jagger and it has edged into first place. As my thread on my straight adventure explains, my DE career is not over by any means.

valuer said:
Have recently used the EJ with the new head.

Not a bad shave but comes no where near my Future which is so smooth compared to the EJ.

with the grain shave on 1.5 and ATG 2.5 only two passes and a little touch up around jaw line

Any one had experience with the Vision is it any better than its little brother the Future.

Valuer

I used a Vision for about 8 months. It is a big bugger and took a bit of getting used too, it does give a great shave though. It makes a neat sound as the blade is pleffing through stubble. I cannot compare it to the Futur. But, if you like quite big and hefty razors and appreciate a bit of German engineering, i think you will like it.

Back
Top Bottom