New brush

Hi guys...I am looking for a bit of advice on buying a new brush.
I currently use and love my Simpson duke 2 in best but I wish the handle was a good bit longer.
Have you experienced guys got any recommendations for a brush that is as good as the duke but with a longer handle.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Tons of brushes out there, what kind of budget?

Fidos latest is probably the best bang for the buck out there and the handle is longer than the Duke, there are other Simpsons and they are mostly all good but a nice custom could work out closer to what you want and be cheaper than a new Simpson but dearer than Fidos New Forrest brush.

It really depends on how much you want to spend.

If you like Simpsons Best and want a longer handle then the Simpson PJ2 Best at 54 mm will be a significant increase compared with the 43 mm for your Duke 2. I have one and it's a great brush.

The New Forest 2211 handle is 50 mm.

Thanks for the reply guys...If you have any of the 2211 brushes left fido i would like to buy one it looks just what i am looking for.

PM me the details please

Thanks again

Mark

Mark,

How close/far is this to yours? Thanks

D2 Ht: 88 mm Loft: 47 mm Base: 41 mm Knot: 21 mm

I'm interested in both first 2 sizes. Here's Duke 1:
D1 Ht: 85 mm Loft: 45 mm Base: 40 mm Knot: 21 mm

My Simpsons COLONEL X2L:
Ht: 100 mm Loft: 46 mm Base: 54 mm Dia: 35 mm Knot: 22 mm

DWT: 37.05
g: 57.6
oz: 2.03
ozt: 1.85

In past had trouble deciding between Duke and Chubby. I didn't settle for the Colonel because its handle is one of the most comfortable and ergonomic handle-one of my choices as well. Anyway, as for the Duke and Chubby, even if these were identical in price I would choose more practical and economical one in this case the Duke because I have used 22-28 mm knots and consuming a great portion of product when I need just enough for 2-passes is all I need. Further I have used handles as low as 30 mm so that's no problem. However popular brush it is is irrelevant otherwise I wouldn't have posted and opted for Chubby II and destroy all my soaps within months. This is why I have X2L. Disregarding base height, I'm not interested in paying more for smaller knot and loft when it's mere difference is +1mm of loft and -1mm knot. I'd rather stick with a D1 in that regard.

I've said this before but I think investing in those small lesser Simpson's represents really really poor value for money and furthermore they give you absolutely no insight as to how much better their range is further up the economic scale.

You can guess and justify all you like but until you've owned one you haven't owned one.

Yep, you either have to know exactly what you want from a branded supplier which will entail actually holding one to see if it fits. Or going down the custom route in which your dialogue with the custom maker will give you exactly what your after.

i would also recommend the fido brushes. I have his previous 2201 which i believe has the same size handle as the new one, and its pretty much perfect for me. The size of the knot and the handle make for easy use. Great quality too.

Thanks Gents!

antdad said:
I've said this before but I think investing in those small lesser Simpson's represents really really poor value for money and furthermore they give you absolutely no insight as to how much better their range is further up the economic scale.

You can guess and justify all you like but until you've owned one you haven't owned one.

You have a valid point there. Although they are under appreciated brush, ( possibly even greatly at that ) I've enjoyed them and look forward to in future. I value each one of these because they have character and have yet to fail miserably.

I'm really looking forward to this "Super" Badger. If it is indeed the climax of brushes, an orgasmic form of shaving. We'll soon see.

RB73 said:
Yep, you either have to know exactly what you want from a branded supplier which will entail actually holding one to see if it fits. Or going down the custom route in which your dialogue with the custom maker will give you exactly what your after.

I'm waiting for about 4 customs or so I don't even know anymore and OEM that is pending.

Back
Top Bottom