New brogues preparation and after care

I've a pair of Loake Chester rubber soled brogues on their way to me and I would like some advice on the best way to prep them for use and on their after care ie polishing. They are tan coloured. I've seen sites recommending shoe creams before venturing out in the rain, I live in Scotland so that's pretty much every day now! Obviously I'd like to keep them clean and look after them so what tips can you give me?

Just give them a good polish before the first wearing and polish them regularly thereafter. If they do get wet, stuff them with newspaper and let them dry in the normal air away from the heat. Make sure you put a good pair of shoe trees, preferably cedar, in them after each wearing to retain their shape; store them in shoe bags to keep the dust away. Try not to wear them two days in a row as they need to dry out and don't wear them if they're wet.

Just give them a good polish before the first wearing and polish them regularly thereafter. If they do get wet, stuff them with newspaper and let them dry in the normal air away from the heat. Make sure you put a good pair of shoe trees, preferably cedar, in them after each wearing to retain their shape; store them in shoe bags to keep the dust away. Try not to wear them two days in a row as they need to dry out and don't wear them if they're wet.
Yeah that. ^^^

I've got the leather soled ones of these and they are the best pair of shoes I've ever had. All the advice above plus I use neutral polish so they don't darken too much (also avoid parade gloss polish maybe that is only in black? Has something in it that not good for the leather apparently)

I personally would recommend shoe cream over shoe wax. It nourishes and protects the leather better. You can always use a little wax on the tip if you like that super-shiny finish.

I personally would recommend shoe cream over shoe wax. It nourishes and protects the leather better. You can always use a little wax on the tip if you like that super-shiny finish.
With brogues you still need a brush to clean out any wax in the holes. Personally I would try and avoid getting high end shoes wet too often - but if it's unavoidable try looking for something that helps keep the rain out - I'm thinking wax is better than cream in this respect.

Personally I would use wax over cream (po-tay-to, po-tah-to), just make sure you buy a decent established brand (Loakes own or Kiwi etc...), not just the cheapest one. +1 on shoe trees and keeping away from direct heat when drying, newpaper does work but only necessary if you've been wading or swimming in them. I would also +1 on the brushing, just make sure you buy a separate brush - don't use one that has been used on black shoes already!!

Oh, side point on general shoe cleaning someone mentioned - Parade Gloss is the Devil's excrement. Lay down and avoid.

The brogue design is there to help water run off the leather so don't worry about wearing them in the rain, especially if the have dainite soles. I don't polish new shoes before first wearing. Use your shoe trees while the shoe is still warm from wearing, get some decent brushes and clean them regularly. They will last years.

Cheers everyone. They arrived this morning and despite taking a gamble on size they fit like a glove and I love them already! Just about to look for shoe trees and Loake polish now before I wear them outside.

Very sound advise from aka "Rufus" most if not ALL shoe polishes on the market have a spirit in them. Not good new's........ for any leather.
I only use " Saphire " not the cheapest but a fantastic products, and also you may be interested in products from a company called: Furniture Clinic UK. www.furnitureclinic.com based in Northern England.

I have been using their " Leather Protection Cream " for years on all my leather shoes & my wife Handbags etc etc.

Charles U.K

I occassionally give my tan Otterburns a going over with Loake's own tan shoe cream when the wax build up is noticeable on the light coloured leather or there are one or two surface marks that Saphir's Pate de Luxe does not clear. For usual maintenance, I use said saphir product in either neutral or the yellow colour they do. This regimen keeps them looking tip top as does not wearing them two days running and keeping cedar shoe trees in them. Bit of wear at the heels after almost two years but to be expected and they're not ready for reheeling yet. My Loake-made Herring Kendals get the same treatment as above (just different a colour) and they've been great too.

Very sound advise from aka "Rufus" most if not ALL shoe polishes on the market have a spirit in them. Not good new's........ for any leather.
I only use " Saphire " not the cheapest but a fantastic products, and also you may be interested in products from a company called: Furniture Clinic UK. www.furnitureclinic.com based in Northern England.

I have been using their " Leather Protection Cream " for years on all my leather shoes & my wife Handbags etc etc.

Charles U.K

Can highly recommend these guys. In a former life I owned a detailing company working on ferarri's and Lambo's etc. I had no hesitation in using their products on interiors that would have probably cost something like £50,000 to replace!

^^^ What Rufus said. I don't stuff with newspaper but then I'm a Southern Softie and we don't get that wet down here. Also, the don't wear on consecutive days is true even if it's been a dry day, the shoes absorb moisture from feet and should dry completely before the next wearing.

Back
Top Bottom