Neil's honing skills

Just received a stainless steel straight ordered from Neil Miller

It came to work and I won't have a chance to try it out for a few days but I thought I'd do the hanging hair test on it. Wow, much sharper than the straight I've been trying to learn with the hair just falls apart under no pressure.

I was gob-smacked, and its been said before but he has da skills!

The big question is going to be can I keep the edge keen!

First time I did that hanging hair test on a straight I nearly papped meself. How can ANYTHING be that sharp? And I'm going to put it against my FACE?

huxley said:
I have to admit, im curious as to how good a honer he is, so i will be sending off a razor at some point, just for comparisons sake.

Curious as in you've only just stumbled upon his web site. Or curious about how the work and information he has supplied to members here have resulted in only glowing recommendations.

More curious as to how someone with more experience compares with my honing.

I've had a professionally honed razor before, i was disappointed only to later learn he tends to finish off on a coticule, where i need to be upwards of 12k and finish on a cromox balsa strop.

huxley said:

I've had a professionally honed razor before, i was disappointed only to later learn he tends to finish off on a coticule, where i need to be upwards of 12k and finish on a cromox balsa strop.

Wasn't Bart was it? I was very impressed with the edge he put on my razor using a coticule. If it wasn't Bart it might be worth giving him a shot, if anyone can show what a coticule can do it's him and he'll hone one razor for free.

I too have heard good things about Barts work and prob. will try him at some point and also maybe try and learn more about Coticules, since I´ve got a nice combo stone. But it´s hard after using Neils edges, to use anything else. He´s a master honer and not the kind that call them selfs "hoinemaster" after a year or two at home fiddeling away at the kitchen table. I got a large blade from a vendor with tons of good feedback, that was supposed to be shave ready, it doesn´t hold it´s edge against Neils in any way - it´s like HHT 1 against HHT 5.

In my book Neil is a _really_ good pro + a very nice guy.

Proinsias said:
huxley said:

Wasn't Bart was it? I was very impressed with the edge he put on my razor using a coticule. If it wasn't Bart it might be worth giving him a shot, if anyone can show what a coticule can do it's him and he'll hone one razor for free.

Nope even better, rasurpur. Anyway no fault of his, just the way he works, although he does finish off with a naniwa 10k superstone on occasions.

Personally i use a 16k shapton ceramic glass stone, then hit the chromox on balsa, before stropping.

Provides me with one very mean edge.

One big reason why Neil is a "honemeister" (daft term ...) is that he can deal with problem razors. It's one thing to put a good edge on a nice straight or mildly smiling blade, quite another to deal with twisted spines, uneven bevels and all the other tribulations associated with vintage razors in particular. My Revitt was a case in point: a deep smile with an uneven grind and a lot of hone wear.

Back
Top Bottom