Neck like a plucked chicken!

Cant seem to stop my neck reacting very angrily post shave (straight).

I have ordered an alum block, is that the answer?

Is very uncomfortable, any suggestions?

Kevmanson said:

After my first few straight shaves I always had burn on my neck. I flattened down the bladed angle and used shorter (quarter inch) strokes - improved no end.

Ian

ive found my neck is usualy only irritated when i try to over work it... or get too close a shave. if i back off a little its always fine. Ive found piling on the post shave products doesnt help. I usualy just splash on some witch hazel (no sting and tones up the skin) followed by some bog standard moisturiser to stop my skin drying out.

Alum just made my neck react worse, as do aftershaves and many aftershave balms (even nivea sensitive irritates my neck)

i'd work on getting your number of passes down to 3... maybe even accepting a less close shave while your neck adjusts to the routine. Then maybe add in an extra pass.

Agreed!..if you re-shave an area too much..redness shows up..its eeevviill!... :lol:
Try to go 3 passes..1: WTG
2. XTG
3. ATG When this is done..you may go back and "touch up" spots you missed even without cream..just a light touch.
Blades

shrink said:
ive found my neck is usualy only irritated when i try to over work it... or get too close a shave. if i back off a little its always fine. Ive found piling on the post shave products doesnt help. I usualy just splash on some witch hazel (no sting and tones up the skin) followed by some bog standard moisturiser to stop my skin drying out.

Alum just made my neck react worse, as do aftershaves and many aftershave balms (even nivea sensitive irritates my neck)

i'd work on getting your number of passes down to 3... maybe even accepting a less close shave while your neck adjusts to the routine. Then maybe add in an extra pass.

Hi Kev, just to add my 2p but I would not go against the grain at all, and keep it that way for some time. A lot of chaps here, whatever their experience, don't bother attempting to go atg on their necks because it is such an easy area to irritate. At some point in the future when it is all better and you feel more confident with your technique you could try it again, but that's up to you really. :p

I agree!...but if you wanna try go ahead n "tread lightly"..you could also use your DE as well

Pig Cat said:
Hi Kev, just to add my 2p but I would not go against the grain at all, and keep it that way for some time. A lot of chaps here, whatever their experience, don't bother attempting to go atg on their necks because it is such an easy area to irritate. At some point in the future when it is all better and you feel more confident with your technique you could try it again, but that's up to you really. :p

Blades said:
I agree!...but if you wanna try go ahead n "tread lightly"..you could also use your DE as well

Pig Cat said:

Just noticed you are shaving with a straight (thanks Blades), well I think my advice still applies, but even more so!

Kevmanson said:

I found that Alum gave me irritation. Since I stopped using it I've been fine.

I was actually told to rub it on your hands to get a better grip of skin stretching..great idea!

B

Parwin said:
Kevmanson said:

I found that Alum gave me irritation. Since I stopped using it I've been fine.

If the fine advice regarding the principles of shaving techniques have been applied and you still get irritation, I would recommend Germolene as it's an antiseptic and an anaesthetic. It really does sooth though there's no need to go heavy on the stuff; mix a little pea sized blob with a little water and rub that in. Hope this helps.

Pig Cat said:
+1

I am one of those guys. Even a very careful and "not very close" ATG on the neck results in ingrowns.
I've been DE-shaving since August last year, so I don't think it's my technique.

As for the straight shaves, I've only had one to date, and I've never in my whole life had that much post shave irritation.
I didn't actually get that many nicks, and it was only one pass, but my neck felt like it was on fire.

Haven't had a straight shave since, but I'll probably give it another go some day.
I'm sure it's just my technique, but that first shave was really, really bad.

Have you tried a moisturiser as a preshave,i find that if i use nivea aftershave balm on my shaving area before it cuts down on the irritation i get.
Find that even a quick pass with an alum block dries the skin to much and causes soreness.

Back
Top Bottom