My two new Simpsons for the collection - E2 and T3 (2B)

Quick pic of my new emperor 2 in 2B, I ordered this before I went on holiday and I got a call from Brett on Thursday saying it was ready, it was at my door for Friday, superb service.

20mm knot, just under 45mm loft, tightly packed but not too dense, a very nice soap scrubby brush that will do equally as well with creams, the tips are very soft. Softer then my previous 2B knots from them. I think they got a new batch of hair in but it is really luck of the draw. In this case the maker has done very well.

Emp-1.jpg

I also got a T3 in 2B from Tahir, it is a lot softer but not tried it yet. the Emperor arriving the same day snagged it for me (sorry Tahir, the T3 will get a go this week). I like the handle of the T3 more than I thought I would, true it looks a bit chopped at the neck but it is different to the other ones I own, the knot is a bit softer (it flexes more) than some other 2B brushes but it is in no way floppy. I find the Emperor and PJ shapes more pleasing to the eye but I want one of each for my collection and the T3 is a nice choice, it is a 23 mm knot and a 54mm loft

E2T301.jpg

Full reports in due course.

Side by side and overhead shots really show the difference in size between these two, it does not look much in individual photos but side by side they are quite different animals.

E2T301.jpg

E2T302.jpg

They are not far off the same total height, in fact the Emperor "looks" taller overall but the longer handle of the Emperor also results in the loft being much shorter. I thought that it looked 3 band when I took the T3 out the packet, the lettering and sticker also makes me think this is an older model, no complaint though. Despite my reservations I like the look and feel of it, if I don't like using it it stays in the collection till it is complete. As you say Fido they do look so much better in "real" settings" than in the sites.

I used the E2 with some Mama Bears today and it is working well, it may still soften but not by much (if any). Either way I am a happy camper.

Cheers.

Very nice brushes, the emperor seems a good brush for soaps and the handle looks comfortable to the hands, the tulip is one of the most good looking brushes that I know congrats and enjoy them, thanks for sharing :shave

Thanks for all the nice comments, I feel lucky to own them. I think we should be on a commission from Simpsons, we have probably encouraged more sales than their marketing team.

Corrected second picture to show the overhead of the brushes, you can really see the difference in knot even taking account of the fact the T3 has more bloom

That Tulip 3 looks familiar.. hmmm.. Well, I'm glad you like it; it is a three banded knot which will have less backbone than the E2 in two band. I found the T3 a little flexible for me and prefer the denser knots of the Chubbies and Dukes, hence why I put it up for sale!

That was the attraction of it for me, most Simpsons I have are all tight knotted and I washed the T3 with some shampoo and then performed two test lathers, I will take a picture of it tomorrow when it dries but blooming heck in the literal sense of the word, it has the widest bloom I have seen in a Simpsons brush and I can feel is splays a little more than I an used to. I still have not used it yet, am saving it for Saturdays leisurely shave. I suspect I will end up pinching the base of the knot, given my hand size the reach of my fingers it hopefully should not be an issue for me.

I wanted a nice big soft Simpsons cream brush for me Coates and Fitjar and apart from the comedic Sampson this was as big, while still usable, as I wanted to go....at least for now.

The Emperor has turned out to be one of my most used brushes, in the months I have owned and used it the brush has hardly bloomed. Like most 2B brushes it seemed a little bit of a lather hog to begin with but over time it releases and there is far more flow of lather, it now generates lather when properly loaded. This was a little bit of a surprise as it was not the dearest nor the most talked about model of the Simpsons range.

I do own many Simpsons, the Astor is one of the most pleasurable to use, the CH2 is a great big lather monster that I love using at the weekend and the Duke is very special; being balanced between the CH1 and CH2 means it is another good brush and this or the E2 is the brush I will reach for most often, especially during the week, it is not unlike my X2L (which is due a shot in the rotation) but there is just something about the handle and size of the E2 that I love.

It depends on your preference, if you like a smaller brush that is fantastic for any hard soap and quick to lather up and rinse then this will be right up your street. My only regret is that I did not buy one sooner, for me the only way to know what I like to to try everything which is the expensive way to do things but a very enjoyable journey. I am not in a hurry and still have many more to try so perhaps if you asked me the same question next year my answer would be different. having said that it would have to be one hell of a brush to compete with this.

My only advice is that if you do go for one try to make sure it is in the 45mm loft range, this seems to be the sweet sport for the 20mm knot.

Thanks audio, I do favour a longer handle, I did have a Duke 2 but didn't think much of it because of size, I'm currently using a Simpson 57 in 2 band and I'd go as far as saying it's perfect for me but my experience isn't great.

I was thinking the emperor as it's a long handle with a slightly smaller knot the other brush I'm looking at (but isn't available til spring) has a 24mm knot.

I only use soaps in particular MB and palmolive but switch between bowl lathering and face.

Thanks that review was helpful

Back
Top Bottom