My shave log (updated 08.11.11)

Following on from my intro thread earlier in the week, my kit turned up this morning whilst I was on a lovely 50 mile cycle around the New Forest. It was was waiting for me when I got back so I unwrapped everything carefully and had a good look. The Merkur 30C looks like a good bit of kit, with even gaps on both sides.

I got a sample pack of blades with my kit and chose a Gillette 7 O'Clock for my first shave... best not to plump for the Feathers straight away, apparently. I am going to start a spreadsheet to record my progress.
I have always wet-shaved in the bath and couldn't see any reason to change now so I ran myself a very hot bath and soaked my face and brush, ready for a new experience.

After a good soak I applied some of the pre-shave and rubbed it into my face... smelled nice ! I rinsed that off after a while and got ready for the main event. Squirting an inch or so of Proraso cream into my hand I applied a thin layer to my face, shook the excess water off my brush and started to lather up. Worked a treat, and I appeared to have plenty of lather left for a second pass, not that I was planning one for my first shave.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I used short, light strokes WTG and got a pretty good result, with the only nick being taking the top off an ingrowing hair pimple from earlier in the week. I wasn't brave enough to try a pass XTG so I re-lathered and took my time tidying up under my nose and on my chin.

The end result is a relatively even shave that looked and felt like a 4-hour-old electric shave. A little rough ATG, but easily good enough for work etc.

It's going to take a while to get used to it, but I already know that I will never use another cartridge razor on my face ! I am looking forwards to another go tomorrow morning :icon_cheesygrin:

Thanks to everyone on here I have a new hobby... I can sense Acquisition Disorder setting in already as I've already started looking at shaving mugs and various post-shave creams / aftershaves etc :s

RE: My first ever DE shave...

amnesia said:
Thanks to everyone on here I have a new hobby... I can sense Acquisition Disorder setting in already as I've already started looking at shaving mugs and various post-shave creams / aftershaves etc :s

the only way to avoid the disorder is to cancel your internet service and lock yourself away in a cave. Best just to give in and enjoy!

I felt the same about cartridges after my first DE shave, and have not considered changing back since (albeit only been six months so far).

Only problem is, which need do you feed first - blades, brushes, fragrances etc?:icon_razz::icon_razz:

It'll just get better too, your technique will improve as you shave more. That roughness as you feel against the grain will get smoother, but you're right to aim for comfort above all else, especially at the beginning.

The 7 o'clock yellow is one of my favourites (and many other members agree) so you'll probably always like that blade.

One nick is nothing at this stage, so well done... you'll get a few more but eventually you'll avoid them altogether except for the odd lapse of concentration!

Canuck said:
you'll avoid them altogether except for the odd lapse of concentration!

I suspect that is the key... I can shave on autopilot with a fusionmegamach600 razor.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey, and all that :icon_rolleyes:

Ha!
Now your hooked.
Nice post full of expectation and excitement.
I still get that each morning!
Great start. Atg is something I still don't do much. Depends on the combo
Two passes usually does the trick
Lovely
Slimbo

Four shaves in and I believe I have had my first BBS :)

Merkur 30C
Personna Super (2nd use)
Proraso cream
I 'borrowed' my wife's Baileys hot chocolate mug to use as a dish (pics later) - she's not getting it back !

WTG, XTG, and a little ATG on the cheeks and neck and I have a shave better than any I have experienced with cartridge razors and NO IRRITATION !!

Might be tempting fate, but I still haven't nicked myself :s

Me => :D

RE: My shave log (updated 30.10.11)

Tried a different blade today - a LORD Platinum Chrome.

Really didn't like it... didn't feel sharp, didn't feel good, didn't cut myself though.
Couldn't get a close shave around my chin, and ATG felt awful.

What's weird is that I have ended up with actually not a bad result.

Last day of full shaving for a while tomorrow, Movember looms. Will probably go a few days without shaving before I decide my 'tache style. Any recommendations for 3 or 4 days of growth ?

I have the following blades in my armoury...

Astra Superior Platinum
Personna Super - Medical Prep Blades
Derby Extra
Feather New Hi-Stainless
Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge
LORD Platinum Chrome
Merkur Stainless Platinum
Personna Platinum Chrome - ‘Red Personna, Israeli Reds'
Shark Super Chrome
Wilkinson Sword Double Edge

Use a 7 o'clock or a feather after 3 or 4 days growth, you need a sharp blade. And go easy as it's possible to get nicks with longer stubble as you overcompensate for the length, keep saying the old mantra to yourself:
"Each pass is an effort at beard reduction, NOT beard removal". Go for an extra pass rather than heavier pressure, and don't try and remove 4 days growth in 1 or 2 passes, it'll end in tears.

Canuck said:
Use a 7 o'clock or a feather after 3 or 4 days growth, you need a sharp blade. And go easy as it's possible to get nicks with longer stubble as you overcompensate for the length, keep saying the old mantra to yourself:
"Each pass is an effort at beard reduction, NOT beard removal". Go for an extra pass rather than heavier pressure, and don't try and remove 4 days growth in 1 or 2 passes, it'll end in tears.

Cheers - I was hoping someone would say try the Feathers :icon_razz:

Let you know how I get on towards the end of the week.

When did most people use the Feathers for the first time?

I have been DE shaving for nearly 3 months and still haven't used them (I do have a pack though).

Maybe it's time to break them out?

When did most people use the Feathers for the first time?

After about 10 days I think. They're nothing to be afraid of, not some mythical throat slashing beast, they're merely a very well made, very sharp blade. Once you've had a few shaves without cuts then a feather isn't going to do you any harm, you'll just notice they cut much much easier than say, a Derby.

I tend to end up with a red blotchy neck for some reason so I don't get on with them, but I certainly never cut myself with one.

I used Feathers as soon as I discovered them....Just for an ordinary everyday shave....And It was love at first sight...Fabulous blades.....

Don't be scared of them..they're sharp ..Yes.........so just treat them as you would any sharp blade....

Now I use either Feathers or Gillette Yellows almost exclusively...(Just try others from time to time..see if I'm missing out).....But nothing else really comes close to the Feathers and Yellows for a perfect shave....For me anyhow.

Quick update...

Now had 3 shaves with the Feathers, and I don't know what I was worried about TBH. Easy to use, good clean shave, but they do seem to 'go off' after a couple of shaves.

Thanks to Movember, I now look like this :

2470882.jpg

Back
Top Bottom