My recent trip to Germany

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
I will stick a few shots of my trip to Germany up if anyone is interested.
Firstly a picture with an interesting storyline.

carpenter.jpg

We were walking through the town and saw this guy asking someone for directions, my friend explained that he was a tradesman (probably a carpenter) who had recently finished his training.There was/is a tradition whereby traditional tradesmen would begin a journey which must last a minimum of one year and one day.Through the journey he must only carry what you see him with in the photo and he must walk.He walks from town to town offering his trade services in return for food and board.If he calls upon another person of the same trade in a town then they must offer him shelter.I was really surprised that people still undertake these journeys, this seems to be the type of tradition which dies out.It was very interesting to hear the story of this medieval tradition.If you look above the archway you will see the entrance to an old Jewish quarter of the town.When I got the film developed I laughed at the expressions of the two old ladies who happened to be walking past as he posed for a picture.
Camera was a 1970's Olympus 35 RC rangefinder.Film was fuji superia 400.

Nice story, and nice camera. It's been a while since I've seen a 35RC, and even longer since I took a screwdriver to one. I used to see more of the RD than the RC.

Ian

A most interesting story. Its a pity traditions such as these are dying out.
I was also interested that the picture was taken on an old rangefinder.
thanks for sharing.

Real film, a Jewish quarter in Germany, and a newly-graduated apprentice undertaking a traditional journeyman travels.

Wow, three traditional phenomena that I feared were extinct.

It warms my heart to know there's some good old-fashioned things still out there.

Thanks Boab.

I believe it is called one's "Wanderjare" - the first year after qualifying.

Well done on the photography - occasionally I still use an Olympus Trip 35 - great camera once you get used to judging distances (No rangefinder).

I presume you used a slide/neg scanner - any recommendations?

You are quite right sirprize, Wanderjahre is a name that is used for this, it was introduced to me as 'der Walz'.
I have a couple of olympus trips laying around too, I picked some up to leave on the tables at my wedding.They were cheaper than buying the throwaway ones and obviously the quality is better.That pic was just straight off the cd I got when boots developed the film.I do have an Agfa snapscan e50 though.It works well but the negative holder sometimes scratches the negs.

Some interesting reading and a few corrections on my initial post.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lewrockwell.com/barnhart/barnhart8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lewrockwell.com/barnhart/barnhart8.html</a><!-- m -->

Another interesting discovery while I was in Germany was the 'Stolpersteine' or stumbling blocks.These brass covered cobble stones have been engraved with the names of people (Jewish/homosexual/gypsie/disabled/political opposition) who were deported to camps by the Nazis during the war.They are placed on the street outside the last known residence of the victims.It was quite thought provoking when these were pointed out to me and explained.The stones are placed by an artist who is making it his life's work to make and lay these 'monuments'.Gunter Demnig is the artists name.

VerlegebeispielGross03.jpg

photo from the stolpersteine.com website.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.stolpersteine-trier.de/html_eng/index_eng.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stolpersteine-trier.de/html_ ... ex_eng.htm</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.stolpersteine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stolpersteine.com/</a><!-- m -->

Thanks for sharing these Boab,

Your first photo reminded me of Hermann Hesse, author of some of the most wonderful books. I could imagine him writing about a character like your tradesman and his year of wandering.

A film camera! Still in use. What a man.

I remember reading about one of these journeymen tipping up at a blacksmith's shop in Norfolk or somewhere down that way, and more or less demanding to be given bed and board in return for his labour. He was tricked out in the full regalia (staff, top hat, lots of silver buttons), and fortunately the blacksmith knew the form and set him on straight away: of course the guy turned out to be a superb workman.
I find all this very heartening, but depressing at the same time as our apprentice system is in a parlous state. My company actually offers a decent apprenticeship to young lads, but probably only one in ten we see is suitable material. I get the impression that they've been told they're too thick for further education, so they might as well have a go at woodwork: great start. Then they find that there's a huge set of skills to learn and that they'll have to get to grips with a fair bit of arithmetic, geometry and trigonometry, plus it's actually hard work, and they usually lose heart when they realise that it's going to be a long, hard slog. Those German guys have obvious pride in their status as artisans, and so they should.

What a lovely idea...could you imagine if he was a wondering around the UK trying to earn a crust? He'd be treated with suspicion and disdain.

hando said:
we used to have the ones that came round to sharpen kitchen knives and lawnmower blades door-to-door years ago

Where i go training, there is an old gypsie style caravan. A wooden one that would have been pulled by a horse at one time, but is now pulled by an old pick up.
The guy that lives in that sharpens knives and lawnmower blades. His sharpener is powered by a bicycle aswell :cool:
I dont think the guy actually has a house. I think he just travels around, ive seen him in other locations, not moving far each time.
Saw him last year and this year. Had another caravan next to him this year aswell, and just stops on some grass at the side of the road aswell.

Great shot and an interesting story. It's very sad that traditional skills are disappearing. Not many people working at making things any longer, all wanting to become bloody bankers, salesmen and the like. I work in further education there are a lot of people there who'd be much better off in an apprenticeship.

Back
Top Bottom