My newest acquisition 1940s Aristocrat - help needed

[attachment=3271][attachment=3272][attachment=3273][attachment=3274][attachment=3275]Hi all.

Just won a gold Aristocrat on eBay complete with case and blade holder.

No date letters, so assuming 40s

Under the head stamped Gillette Made in USA and Reg.U.S. Pat.Off

Inside the top head doors stamped Pat.Nos.On Package

Other very strange thing - when twisting the TTO part to open the doors, the TTO part moves downwards but the doors do not open. the TTO part has then to be pushed from the bottom with my thumb upwards and the doors then click fully open? See pics.

To close, simply operate the TTO as is normal on any Gillette, and the doors gradually close fully as is the norm.

Has mine got a fault? But gives a great shave using Shark super chromes.

Any ideas on its value? I won it cheap as it was mislisted.

Cheers

Paul

[attachment=3276][attachment=3277][attachment=3278][attachment=3279][attachment=3280]More pics

more pics 2

[attachment=3286][attachment=3287]

more pics3

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 10
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 17
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 11
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 11
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 11
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 13
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 8
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 6
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 6
  • k.jpg
    k.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 7
  • l.jpg
    l.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 3
  • m.jpg
    m.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 5
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2
  • o.jpg
    o.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 4
  • p.jpg
    p.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 6
  • q.jpg
    q.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 7
  • r.jpg
    r.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 7
Inside the handle there is an arrangement (I think it's a simple washer/spring clip) that holds the knob in place whilst the doors move... it's a common fault that that part fails - especially on the early TTO (1930s/1940s) models, but it's only a problem if you see it as such.

hunnymonster said:
Inside the handle there is an arrangement (I think it's a simple washer/spring clip) that holds the knob in place whilst the doors move... it's a common fault that that part fails - especially on the early TTO (1930s/1940s) models, but it's only a problem if you see it as such.

Cheers for that Hunnymonster

This can be repaired simply if it is the same as my Popular no 46. I closed the silo doors down so that the knob ascended to the correct position then VERY carefully pinched in the groove (which runs round the handle above the knob) with pincers (not pliers). You may be able to do this without any protection to the groove but it may be wise to tape it with electrician's tape but I do not know if the pinch would then work; I did it without any protection. On B&B there is a more elegant method described with the same purpose but with the groove more protected.

lordjohn said:
This can be repaired simply if it is the same as my Popular no 46. I closed the silo doors down so that the knob ascended to the correct position then VERY carefully pinched in the groove (which runs round the handle above the knob) with pincers (not pliers). You may be able to do this without any protection to the groove but it may be wise to tape it with electrician's tape but I do not know if the pinch would then work; I did it without any protection. On B&B there is a more elegant method described with the same purpose but with the groove more protected.
Cheers for that

will give it a go

Back
Top Bottom