My first bowl of Tabac

I decided take the plunge and pick up a bowl. Btw thanks to Pete for the directions - the Edgeware road chemist was selling it at a very rasomable (EDIT - or 'reasonable' even) £12.99.

I take back what I said in my previous thread. The scent mellows out after a while and I must confess to rather liking it. It starts out pungent but after 1hr takes on a rather pleasant warm clean smell. Maybe those that dislike Tabac are not giving it time, or it just does not react will with their natural body oils. I will admit the scent is hardly cutting-edge but as long as all the soap is washed away post-shave it really isn't that strong.

As for the performance - WOW! Now I know what proper shaving soap is about. Even with my hard water it seems to magically produce masses of thick creamy lather after only 30secs mixing with a silvertip brush.

It also moisturises surprisingly well and doesn't irritate my skin. The only other soap I like as much is the Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera. The EJ is a nice choice for when scents are not desired or inappropriate.

Anyway, I'm a Tabac convert!

There are a few old favourites that seem to bring a touch of nostalgia to the shaving experiece. Tabac is incredibly popular - and it's not by accident. It was first launched in 1959 so it is likely to endure for quite a while yet. No need to stock up!

I've never been sure what all the fuss is about, either pro or anti as regards the scent. It soon dissipates as is the case with most soaps. The one which I really dislike is P.160 - eughh! - but I'll still use it.

I bought some a couple of years ago and, though the lather is amazing, I didn't get on with the smell. It was too flowery somehow and way too strong. I suppose if I'd liked the scent the strength wouldn't have been an issue. Anyway skip forward a while and I've got some Provence Sante. This time I have learnt from my mistake. Another rather overpowering fragrance with great latherability. I gave the scent time to dissipate a tad and I got used to it. I think it won't be long before I give Tabac another go... :blush:

Back
Top Bottom