My brain hurts!

After lurking in the shadows for a while, I decided the time has come to bite the bullet and make myself known!

I'm from Derby, and currently shave using a Mach3 (Which is ten years old!) with King of Shaves gel. To be honest, I've had enough of this chronic method of shaving, so I'm on the lookout to purchase a straight and start spending 'decent money' on shaving and grooming which I've neglected for so long.

Great forum by the way!

Hi Steve, welcome to TSR! :D Wow, you intend to jump in at the deep end then, but why not? You have no doubt already found loads of great advice here. I'm new to a straight so I wish you all the best with your new venture!! :p

Welcome Steve

We can certainly help you to spend some decent money on shaving gear. Some of us actually convinced ourselves that we could save money by switching from using cartridge razors. We do of course. But tend to spend the savings a few years ahead of them.

Fido said:
Welcome Steve

We can certainly help you to spend some decent money on shaving gear. Some of us actually convinced ourselves that we could save money by switching from using cartridge razors. We do of course. But tend to spend the savings a few years ahead of them.

Oh come now Fido!..it's your face that does the deciding!...the money follows the face's decision! :lol:

Blades

Derby....Turkey?

FuzzySteve said:
After lurking in the shadows for a while, I decided the time has come to bite the bullet and make myself known!

I'm from Derby, and currently shave using a Mach3 (Which is ten years old!) with King of Shaves gel. To be honest, I've had enough of this chronic method of shaving, so I'm on the lookout to purchase a straight and start spending 'decent money' on shaving and grooming which I've neglected for so long.

Great forum by the way!

Many thanks for the warm welcome Gentlemen! I fear that I've already spent more than a years shaving budget on setting myself up with a brush, a razor and some cream. I've opted for a secondhand Dovo that I managed to get for £13 on 'the bay' (I'm not too fussed regarding re-honing as I have a good set of Japanese waterstones from Axminster for my hunting and filleting knives) with a Super Badger and some Edwin Jagger Sandalwood cream as a start. My reasoning for the cheap ebay purchase is simply as a gamble, but I've researched brushes and I reckon that a Super Badger strikes a happy medium between a Pure and a Silvertip and should see me right for some time.

Any pointers on my choice so far are most welcome, I'm still feeling my way with my whiskers!!

Super badger is a good grade but pretty much any grade of brush will do the job so don't sweat that. I've only got black badger, does for me.

You're a brave man diving straight into straight! I don't think I'll ever go there, double edge is enough for me.

Welcome, and have fun.

CanucksTraveller said:
Super badger is a good grade but pretty much any grade of brush will do the job so don't sweat that. I've only got black badger, does for me.

You're a brave man diving straight into straight! I don't think I'll ever go there, double edge is enough for me.

Welcome, and have fun.
With you all the way Canucks, straits make my toes curl. You are a brave man Steve and welcome. :hungrig

Country Uncle badger brush are what ne and my wife have and are work well especially for the price of $24usd...I also have an Omega beach color boar brush which was $23usd

B

Hello and welcome, you might need some higher grit hones than the ones you would use for your knives unless you go above 8k on them :shock: , I would send it away to get honed so you know what you are aiming for. If you are going to do it yourself make sure you lap all your hones truly flat and chamfer the edges. :D

I thought the same til 1 day my face thought otherwise and my wallet listened!... :mrgreen:

CanucksTraveller said:

Welcome, and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom