My 1st De razor.

Good evening gents. I have purchased my 1st De razor, it is a Muhle R89, it is a nice razor and shaves real nice (for me).
Only thing wrong with it is it seems too small for me, I'm a big guy 6'-2" so the razor feels small.
So the question is what De razor shaves real nice but is larger to suite a bigger hand?

Five things could be your issue:
a) you need to get used to it. Persevere and you might actually like what you already have. Give it some time. Cheapest option.
b) the handle is too short. Get a longer handle for your razor. EBay?
c) the handle is not thick enough. Get a thicker handle.
d) the handle is too short and too thin. You get the picture.
e) The razor is not heavy enough. Get a stainless steel or brass razor. The most expensive option.
It's for you to decide what the issue actually is.
f) Try out all of the above. Buy more razors, handles, etc. That's the traditional approach here and will cost you an arm and a leg.

Personally, I'd stick with a) and get on some pass-arounds to try different razors to learn what is available. But nobody ever listens to me.

Good evening gents. I have purchased my 1st De razor, it is a Muhle R89, it is a nice razor and shaves real nice (for me).
Only thing wrong with it is it seems too small for me, I'm a big guy 6'-2" so the razor feels small.
So the question is what De razor shaves real nice but is larger to suite a bigger hand?
You could always just buy a handle that's M5 threaded and just use that instead of the stock one.
Maggards have some, Windrose razor handles are well made, if not the knurliest and there are a few other makes.

Five things could be your issue:
a) you need to get used to it. Persevere and you might actually like what you already have. Give it some time. Cheapest option.
b) the handle is too short. Get a longer handle for your razor. EBay?
c) the handle is not thick enough. Get a thicker handle.
d) the handle is too short and too thin. You get the picture.
e) The razor is not heavy enough. Get a stainless steel or brass razor. The most expensive option.
It's for you to decide what the issue actually is.
f) Try out all of the above. Buy more razors, handles, etc. That's the traditional approach here and will cost you an arm and a leg.

Personally, I'd stick with a) and get on some pass-arounds to try different razors to learn what is available. But nobody ever listens to me.
Ive had a good look at the razor & I dont like the light knurling it has, it makes it feel slippy. So I think a longer thicker handle with deeper knurling would fix things.

Last edited:
Stick with it and get used to the size. You will, I'm sure.

Likewise, I'm 6'2" and my latest razor purchase is the Edwin Jagger DES89 which has an even shorter handle and I find that just lovely. I do like around 3" but I spent a lot of time with Ever-Ready 1912 single edge razors and they have short handles by comparison. It's just about learning technique and your muscle memory will kick in. It'll feel fine soon enough.

In any case the head is an absolute classic and can be paired with almost any handle out there that you'd find on a razor.

I suppose one suggestion might be for the Muhle R89 Twist, which has a longer handle and feels altogether chunkier in the hand. Before splashing out, I'd try adjusting your grip on the razor - perhaps hold it further down the handle more towards the end, or perhaps hold it higher up towards the head and cradle the end of the handle in your palm.

Ive had a good look at the razor & I dont like the light knurling it has, it makes it feel slippy. So I think a longer thicker handle with deeper knurling would fix things.
To find out if that's the issue, wrap some rubber bands around the handle.
If that makes it perfect, keep the rubber bands or buy a knurlier handle.
Others can point you to suitable handles on eBay or elsewhere.

You could over-sleeve with heat shrink ... or you could buy in a length of correctly bored silicone hose and size the walls to pad out as you'd think right (you can even get food grade transparent hose).
I'll add to that - flexible, stretchy silicone tape, the sort that's used for temporary plumbing fixes should be good for this as well.
Fairly easy to work with, and not much is needed.

I recently purchased a Maggard MR1 for a vintage Tech, it cost £19 from Shaving Time.

I am 6' 3'' & 18 stone, the handle is just right for me.

It's better than the handle I had on my Razorock GC

... and these HD handles are very effective (copies of the Merkur HD handle is my guess): https://shavingtime.co.uk/products/...el-hd-handle-82mm?_pos=6&_sid=b29100ac1&_ss=r

I think they look good with an R89 head.

AP1GczNCFaoQcr1feweHQFxaQVPEAF2qRhNlTHh6nmT3dZ8NldOy_sF8hp71AuAhAnqQ5uureBJOk3BfLyf7PpyQY-ZlVjU015FRFhKLPoO6wshOTz4c5Iw9Fp80ds80-c3STffScXSIyJGJ2IR5Yt_n0dI0xw=w600

... but what you really want is a Stahly! :ROFLMAO:

AP1GczO8vA-SXSPsr7EiWH2Vl4HM4NMSq0KWZopearScoJVhfmmAkGTlBokpPe9Y3Lg5iYN2yVLXuo387ih7JSSv7RN16o-JW1A8gsfTLAbi5ZLmHXtH0BywqGqVjeqSY0L3QlAtT-KOY8aQF-5HqdcWD_N3Kw=w600

I recently purchased a Maggard MR1 for a vintage Tech, it cost £19 from Shaving Time.
I am 6' 3'' & 18 stone, the handle is just right fr me.

Back
Top Bottom