'Must Try' blades?

Thanks guys!

Lots of useful answers - I was anticipating the same blades coming up repeatedly but that doesn't seem to have happened. I will probably see if I can get hold of some 10 packs of Treet, Lord and Sharks. These Gillette Bleue(ueueue?), are they intended for the UK market?

poppa said:
Thanks guys!

Lots of useful answers - I was anticipating the same blades coming up repeatedly but that doesn't seem to have happened. I will probably see if I can get hold of some 10 packs of Treet, Lord and Sharks. These Gillette Bleue(ueueue?), are they intended for the UK market?

Get yourself into the Buy Sell Trade Forum and join the Blade Bazaar pif.

There are loads and loads, part of the fun is trying and seeing what you like.
Currently I'm liking Asco Orange, my top blade is probably Gillette super thins but I also like various blades which don't have much of a fan base such as Merkurs (albeit they aren't worth the price tag) and Wilkinson Swords.

I had loads of different ones that were piffed to me as a newbie, but in the end, I've settled on 3.
Shark Superthin and Supermax, the rest I just sent to Man of Leisure who's getting the blade mega pack mentioned here:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7202</a><!-- l -->

If you're not on the list yet, get yourself on it!

Max

Ah me, this is a difficult question. It seems that all of the blades I really like are out of production now, but I can still give an unreserved thumbs up to Red Personnas for a sensible balance between sharpness and price, and consistent quality. Feathers are definitely one for the must try list, but if you shave every day they may be too much. 7'o'clock yellows are sharpish and reliable, but hardly the smoothest of blades. Other than that, I wouldn't want to recommend any really.

At the risk of ruining the whole shaving experience, don't pass up the chance of trying Swedes, British made Wilkinsons or Iridium Supers. What gives these blades the edge (especially the first two) so to speak over current offerings is a smoother finish which makes the deterioration of the blade a much gentler business - I can get 4+ good shaves from these brands.

Arrowhead said:
Ah me, this is a difficult question. It seems that all of the blades I really like are out of production now, but I can still give an unreserved thumbs up to Red Personnas for a sensible balance between sharpness and price, and consistent quality. Feathers are definitely one for the must try list, but if you shave every day they may be too much. 7'o'clock yellows are sharpish and reliable, but hardly the smoothest of blades. Other than that, I wouldn't want to recommend any really.

At the risk of ruining the whole shaving experience, don't pass up the chance of trying Swedes, British made Wilkinsons or Iridium Supers. What gives these blades the edge (especially the first two) so to speak over current offerings is a smoother finish which makes the deterioration of the blade a much gentler business - I can get 4+ good shaves from these brands.

Try the 7 o'clock green's and the blacks. i find them both much smoother than the yellows.

heroblob said:
Arrowhead said:

Try the 7 o'clock green's and the blacks. i find them both much smoother than the yellows.

I find the opposite. Wierd!

49er said:
heroblob said:
Arrowhead said:

I find the opposite. Wierd!

I also prefer the yellow ones. Sharper but soft!

Its tough to make a call as I have only been shaving with a DE razor for a month and a half but the Israeli Made Double Edged Razor Blades from shaving shack work great in my Merkur 34c.

The gillette slim works very nicely with the gillette nacet blades, very nice blades and just bought 30 more of them after a forum member here kindly pif'd me a sample packet of them.

The gillette 7 O'clock yellow are not bad either not tried the green or black box yet.

Back
Top Bottom