'Must Try' blades?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to let me know their 'must try' blades - i.e. ones you think are definitely worth trying. I'm not asking to be told what is best - just given a few ideas regarding starting points! My razor is an EJ89, and at present I have some Derbys, Israeli (Tesco) and Feather blades. I haven't tried the Feathers yet...

Thanks!

Every blade you can lay your hands on - we all have different viewpoints on different blades.

Even near-universally slated ones like Merkur have their fans...

The only one I would avoid are Laser as sold in Wilko. They're made of a composite of MDF & hardboard and are approximately as blunt as your arse.

As well as those people have listed I would recommend trying any of the Lord blades, Rapira (ebay, very sharp and cheap), any Gillette-branded ones, Feather (possibly the sharpest of all), Trig and Treet platinum (both pretty sharp, very smooth and cheap).

Father Ted said:
I have 50 of the buggers Im not right keen on if you want to trade them for something else (not Lasers!)

I would trade you as I do like those, but I don't have enough stock of anything else to offer. :(

My cabinet is a sea of yellow and green cardboard with just a few white boxes bobbing around.

well.. i have the same edwin jagger razor as you... and here is my opinion and finding on blades:

-derbys - too blunt to the point of useless in a DE87/89, tuggy and unforgiving. Not a combination that worked for me
-feathers - very sharp indeed and work fairly well in the DE87/89 but you need to watch angle, and can lead to some irritation.
-gillette blueue - by go to blade for this razor, works superbly and gives a comfortable smooth shave every time, consistent over 3-5 shaves.
-sharks - i love these, slightly more pleasant shave than the gillette for me, smooth and sharp, but less consistent and less longevity, perhaps only 3 solid shaves.
-gillete superthins - as with the blueues, but perhaps not quite as smooth, very effective though, and a good general purpose blade
-personnas - a slightly better experience than a derby. Seemed not great on first shave, but second and third shaves were smooth and irritation free

just my two pence worth... i now alternate between blueues and sharks.

hunnymonster said:
Every blade you can lay your hands on - we all have different viewpoints on different blades.

Even near-universally slated ones like Merkur have their fans...

The only one I would avoid are Laser as sold in Wilko. They're made of a composite of MDF & hardboard and are approximately as blunt as your arse.

You might be right, but I found the Laser blades great. In fact they're how I got interested in DE shaving as I was in Wilko and noticed how much cheaper they were than M3/Fusion etc, it's why I got interested.

Anyway, they might be blunt, but 40p or whatever they are is a much smaller investment than buying something off the net, or even the Wilkinson blades... So if you've got 6quid, you can get a Wilkinson Sword plastic razor, and a packet of Laser blades and you have 10 blades to play with for a bit to learn how to use the DE razor...

That said... I've managed to get about 4-7 shaves out of em.

I won't knock them, at least until I've finished the 105 Derby blades I'm currently using...

eneville said:
Anyway, they might be blunt, but 40p or whatever they are is a much smaller investment than buying something off the net, or even the Wilkinson blades...

The Wilkinson blades are 70p for 5 in my local pharmacy (cheeky sod whacked them up 15p/pack after I cleaned him out of UK Wilkinsons) - that's 30p well invested compared to the Lasers to me...

Gillette Platinums
Gillette Bleue's
Gillette Super Thins
Lord Platinums

but as everyone else says, blades are very much a Marmite thing
try as many as you can

hunnymonster said:
eneville said:
Anyway, they might be blunt, but 40p or whatever they are is a much smaller investment than buying something off the net, or even the Wilkinson blades...

The Wilkinson blades are 70p for 5 in my local pharmacy (cheeky sod whacked them up 15p/pack after I cleaned him out of UK Wilkinsons) - that's 30p well invested compared to the Lasers to me...

That's about the cheapest I've seen them sold individually. There is a pharmacy here that sells them for 95p and I think that's a very good deal compared to the high street prices in places like Savers/Boots etc.

But if you're after blades for less then Amazon/eBay bulk purchases are your friend.

you'll also find the blades perform differently in different razors. For instance the Supermax blades I find pretty poor in a Rocket Flair Tip but really nice in an EJ 89L.

No idea why but they do!

Back
Top Bottom