Musical Embarrassments/Guilty Pleasures

I don't really feel embarrased about anything I listen to, and pretty much have a "Well I like it and don't care if you do" attitude.

I played bass in a pub covers band for a while, and the most cringeworthy (to me) songs that we played usually ended up being the most popular with the crowd, often causing them to gryrate their semi-sober bodies in strange but amusing ways. One girl fell backwards over our singer's monitor once while she jumped up and down to The Summer Of '69. I missed the actual fall itself as I was distracted by some cleavage, but turned around to see her sprawled across the monitor and our guitar player's pedalboard. Anyway, I digress.

Thinking about it, the worst song that we ever played (we only rehearsed it, but never gigged it, thank God) was Ronan Keating's Rollercoaster. I wouldn't even allow my normally very active foot to tap to that!

Ian

Uh oh! I've just discovered Rondo Veneziano. Should I be particularly embarrassed about enjoying this music? :shock: I'm pretty sure this is deeply unfashionable stuff, but it's very relaxing to work to. I was actually watching 3-2-1 on Youtube when they appeared so I checked them out on Spotify...

Pig Cat said:
Uh oh! I've just discovered Rondo Veneziano. Should I be particularly embarrassed about enjoying this music? :shock: I'm pretty sure this is deeply unfashionable stuff, but it's very relaxing to work to. I was actually watching 3-2-1 on Youtube when they appeared so I checked them out on Spotify...

If you like it, listen to it and enjoy it, and everybody else can sod off. Who gives a hoot about being fashionable? As I've found in several walks of life; Popularity is not necessarily an indication of quality.

Ian

Interesting - Mrs Next-Door has just dropped off some post that landed this morning, after I left to practise my best German ("Es gibt Sauerkraut in meine Lederhosen")... which included a 7" single by "Honey Monster" :lol: that I didn't order... whoever did gave me a big laugh and can now safely leave positive feedback :D

One mans trash is another mans treasure is what they say.

None more true than when I purged my cd collection of every "musical embarrassment" I had to purchase a new turntable for my beloved LP's.

Made about £100 from ebay selling stuff I'd never listen to again.....................

However I do still have my Girls Aloud greatest hits.

The Wing Commander doesn't 'get' the Smiths and thinks they're depressing.

I've tried to explain but, well, you know how it is.

And I don't get her interest in the utter pile of old cobblers that she watches on a Saturday evening, which pretends to be a 'music' show.

Fortunately, my other half totally "gets" why this is on our bedroom wall, and there's a red vinyl copy of Fiends of Dope Island on the turntable. But nobody else does.

Attachments

• cramps.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 64
when I was around 12, I got my dad a GeeGees greatest hits CD. I use to secretly take it to my room and play that famous track on it...the one where you do the walk. Can't remember the name of it.

hunnymonster said:
Interesting - Mrs Next-Door has just dropped off some post that landed this morning, after I left to practise my best German ("Es gibt Sauerkraut in meine Lederhosen")... which included a 7" single by "Honey Monster" :lol: that I didn't order... whoever did gave me a big laugh and can now safely leave positive feedback :D

Update: It seems that it wasn't you bastards that did it, but another bastard of my acquaintance... reacting to my sending him a boomerang (he lives in Australia)

joe mcclaine said:
The Wing Commander doesn't 'get' the Smiths and thinks they're depressing.

I've tried to explain but, well, you know how it is.

And I don't get her interest in the utter pile of old cobblers that she watches on a Saturday evening, which pretends to be a 'music' show.

I hadn't read this post, now I've read this post
and heaven knows I'm miserable nowoowow

Ian

Back
Top Bottom