Music streaming services

I first signed up to Spotify in 2009 as a free service. For the last few years, I upgraded to the Premium.

Love music, and its often about convenience how I listen. Didn't realise until this week when the news of sponsorship of Barcelona's stadium broke, how little money Spotify pays artists. This makes me feel uneasy & going to look at alternative services.

Just wondered if you use streaming services and your experiences. Don't particularly use Amazon - reviews of their unlimited service seem good. Plus, 3 months free trial available ta'boot. :)

I use Apple Music only because it’s what I have the most devices for and because of ease of use. I’ve used Amazon music in the past and actually if you have a lot of their devices it’s great too. However I’m not sure if any pay artists any better I’m afraid.

The vinyl countdown

I have the free Spotify for my podcasts and a few things like Skinhead Reggae playlists and suchlike. I don't subscribe to a streaming service, but I've got an Innuos in my system, which has all my digital music in it, plus I get internet radio through it. I can see how some people get good value from a subscription if you use it a lot, £20/m is the equivalent of buying an album every month.

Last edited:
I understand from what I've read that the likes of Spotify pay an absolutely puny amount of money to the artists. I get the convenience thing, but I am a 90s kid and after moving from cassette, never strayed from CDs. I still think they are great, even with the current vinyl revival & obession with using the internet for everything. I realise I'm in a minority but I read an article the other day on a music forum I use, saying that CD sales actually went up last year for the first time in ages. It may seem laughable now to some, but I wonder if there will be a CD revival at some point (I've noticed used prices going up recently), when the hipsters who buy £90 turntables in supermarkets get sick of shelling out £25+ for an LP!

I just like the old fashioned thing of owning the physical product when it comes to albums. I play CDs at home and in the car, but have it all in iTunes too on my laptop (and backed up on external drive), and use the last iPod Classic with the click wheel (2009 I think) when out and about. I have 2 of the exact same Sony iPod dock speakers in different places as well, but at home, playing a CD is my first choice. It works for me.

CDs / iPod are my little escape from relying on the internet. My brother got a new car not long ago which didn't have a CD player in, as a lot don't now, he told me that he had to bite the bullet and use streaming. He then told me that when driving, if he runs out of data on the SIM card or is in a bad signal area, the music will just stop playing. That would drive me insane! If this makes me a dinosaur, so be it, but I'm not a fan of having to rely on the internet to hear music. Other things I dislike about streaming, other than the artists being paid so little:

I've heard countless complaints on music sites about certain songs just vanishing seemingly without reason, or obscure songs that are never on there in the first place. There are cases of an artist's entire body of work being removed due to a dispute, or of the artist not wanting their music on there to begin with. If you care about things like masterings / best versions of albums, it seems like with streaming you just get what you're given. It's a sad but widely known fact on music forums that when a band issues any kind of 'deluxe reissue/remaster', it's often compressed / brickwalled and a lot harsher on the ears than the original release. I think generally the version of any album on streaming is a fairly recent one, despite whether or not that is the best sounding one. A friend who solely uses streaming was raving about the deluxe version with bonus B-sides of some album being on there, but I bet it sounds awful, unlike the original masterings of those songs. I get that some people don't care about that stuff, and will take convenience over anything, but I care and would hate for control of things like that to be taken away. I can have whichever version of an album I prefer on my CD shelf and in my iTunes library.

Example of this: The Cure's classic 'Disintegration' album. The 1989 original CD sounds a little murky, but it fits with the music & era in which it was recorded. The 2010 'remaster' sounded horrific. The original was given a massive volume boost perhaps for modern platforms, it was an awful listen, especially through earphones. On songs like 'Prayers For Rain', the bass (and I love bass, see my avatar) was so heavy it sounded like my earphones could blow at any second. Unlistenable. I'll bet it's this horrendous version of the album that's on streaming platforms. I never want to hear that version again! When I went back to the original CD, it was like welcoming back an old friend.

I think it's generally the case that bands make more money from touring than from album sales anyway, but I like to support the artists I love. Also, the last 2 years have been horrendous for touring bands, the last thing these artists need is people playing their music for free. I know some bands did 'lockdown concerts' and I supported one by possibly my all time favourite band, Guided By Voices. In Summer 2020, they played a hometown show behind closed doors, which was filmed. Not a Zoom split screen mix of them all sat in their homes, a socially distanced show in a proper venue. As usual they played over 50 songs, it was incredibly weird with no crowd, but they played a great mix of newer songs and old fan favourites. They have been known to put out 2-3 albums a year so had loads of new songs they wanted to play but of course were not able to tour. Anyone who bought a ticket for the show was given a link to login and stream the 'concert' live for 24 hours. It was then extended to give people a few more days to watch it. Perhaps the best thing was that ticket buyers were also given a download link the next week to get the audio of the whole show to keep.

I love that they did this at a time when they were frustrated at not being able to tour, and people needed their mood lifted. I was delighted to buy that ticket, support a band who were barely getting any money at the time, watch a great gig, and get the download as a lasting memory. At a time when the world was crazy, people's lives were turned upside down, had their holidays cancelled, daily lives disrupted and not much to be happy about, they brought a ray of sunshine which I was so grateful for. Things like that won't be found on streaming services.

Ultimately, the main thing is that people enjoy the music and support the artists, whether that is by streaming, CD, vinyl, or other legal means.

Last edited:
I like to own physical media, if you stream it or store it in the cloud it could conceivably vanish anytime.
I still have all my Lps and cds I have ever bought, and about 800 gigs on a hard drive with a back up, I have an Arcam DAC fed by foobar 200 media player that I use to play through hifi.

Love CDs. I love vinyl too but gave my HiFi separates to my brother in 2014 (Rega Planar 3, Creek amp and Castle floorstanders). Since moving in with my fiancée over two years ago, there’s been no mention of him giving them back so I probably used that terribly rude word ‘forever’ at some point. Arsehole that I am.

Elle has a Spotify account so I mostly use that through my small but mighty Revo Supperconnect. I digitised the bulk of my CDs to FLAC format a number of years ago and use my Sony Walkman to play this music via Bluetooth aptX.

When I can afford it (Twelfth of Never?), I’ll probably add a Ruark R3 or a Revo SuperCD and perhaps a Rega Planar 1+ for vinyl.

I enjoy the interaction of using vinyl and CDs as well as the sound quality.. The comfort of familiarity and having a physical library, the control. I ruddy hate yon Amazonian bint: Ailsa, Abbey. Andrex or whatever the Beijing she’s called. I tell you, it’ll be Terminator Time and Machines on the March next! Grrr…

It's a bold statement and not absolutely true, but I've bought all the music I ever want to listen to. Likewise, I digitised my CD collection and play that around modern smart speakers and listen on my phone. I have a lot of vinyl and a good enough phono/amp/speaker combo to enjoy that, although with really good headphones I'm finding I enjoy it a lot more.

So, I don't really see why I should pay again for the privilege of listening to music I already own.

Call me old-fashioned if you will, but I still buy and listen to CDs. I just like them. I like the way they look on my shelves, and you can't beat the joy of owning a music collection on physical media. You can't browse files on a computer in the same way as you can browse through loads of CDs in the local HMV, or in your own record collection. Some people say that streaming is partially responsible for the decline in the sales of CDs, along with the comeback of vinyl, but I can't really comment on that. I gave away all of my vinyl records decades ago, but I don't regret that. CDs take up a lot less space than dozens of old, scratched and worn-out LPs.

Call me old-fashioned if you will, but I still buy and listen to CDs. I just like them. I like the way they look on my shelves, and you can't beat the joy of owning a music collection on physical media. You can't browse files on a computer in the same way as you can browse through loads of CDs in the local HMV, or in your own record collection. Some people say that streaming is partially responsible for the decline in the sales of CDs, along with the comeback of vinyl, but I can't really comment on that. I gave away all of my vinyl records decades ago, but I don't regret that. CDs take up a lot less space than dozens of old, scratched and worn-out LPs.
As I said.I have everything I have ever bought in physical media, CD, lp, tape and digital. The tapes are a bit rubbish as they have print through.
But they are tapes that my friends made for me. Priceless.

Same here. I do stream some stuff but I have an extensive vinyl and CD collection, and also a load of tapes from mates which, however bad they sound after 30 years of magnetic determination, are a part of my history.

Just went out with friends tonight, they've just sold their hi-fi on ebay, their kids said "what's a hi-fi dad?" Poor sods will never have a music collection and don't even know how ephemeral their own history is. Their memories will be of Minecraft and PUBG and that one time the kids in the Chatroom turned out to be paedos. Progress I suppose.

Same here. I do stream some stuff but I have an extensive vinyl and CD collection, and also a load of tapes from mates which, however bad they sound after 30 years of magnetic determination, are a part of my history.

Just went out with friends tonight, they've just sold their hi-fi on ebay, their kids said "what's a hi-fi dad?" Poor sods will never have a music collection and don't even know how ephemeral their own history is. Their memories will be of Minecraft and PUBG and that one time the kids in the Chatroom turned out to be paedos. Progress I suppose.

I spent a few years a while ago using a speaker sub system through my computer, convincing myself it sounded Good.
Got rid of it. Bought a hi fi separate system. Bugger me. It sounded so much better and I could hear quieter sounds that were hidden
And the dynamic range was massive compared to pc music.
So let's all buy music players with compressed algorithms to make it sound flat unless you are listening through cheap headphones.
Bugger, hi fi for me.

I think the best way to get money into the hands of the artist is to buy through Bandcamp. When I compare my music budget with what it used to be when I was younger, it's tiny.
Bandcamp - new one to me. Will check it out. Came off Spotify primarily because of the lack of loyalties to the artists.

Back
Top Bottom