Muhle/Jagger razor head - oh dear - disaster strikes.

I have been singing the praises for this head, more recently on my heavy Chatsworth.

Popped a new blade in today, tightened up as normal without excessive pressure. Look at it now!

Chatsworth.jpg

This has never happened to me before. And I have not heard of another case. Some of you may have?

I will return it to the retailer and no doubt they will decide what, if anything, to do.

Merkur 38C is back in action.

Crikey Fido! You need to lay off the spinach!

I don't think I have ever seen that before without some sort of proper mishap, not just from tightening.

Ian

Look like a clean fracture, so probably a manufacturing defect. These things are avoidable but usually the cost of checking for anything other than visible errors shoots the manufacturing costs up so it is easier just to replace the failures. Things like bits of cars brake calipers ans springs are all tested that bit more for obvious reasons. I think they will swap it without question, EJ are good at customer service (in my experience).

Have to say have never seen one go like that, maybe all that bell ringing has given you forearms like desperate Dan.

I only ring my bells to mark great sporting moments. Mind you, I think I was in a state of shock after Pompey beat Spurs to reach the Cup Final again. Clean forgot.

Razor goes back tomorrow. Shame really. Rather dented my enthusiasm for it.

Customer service is excellent from these guys, so I wouldnt have thought you will have any problems getting a replacement. I would be very interested to hear what they say fido.

Probably it is expected fallout, nothing to say really. Unless they started extensive testing there will be an odd bad cast that has a weak point. The cost of checking to the degree required for stress parts like suspension components increases the costs a lot. Anything they could say would sound wishy washy, they should have done it quicker and threw in a soap or balm as an apology, said it was very unusual and they have very high standards and left it at that.

Good it is sorted, has it taken the shine off the razor for you Fido?

To be fair, I did get a pot of cream from the Vendor who had returned it to Edwin Jagger. He commented on the absence of any explanation or comment from the manufacturer.

It's not changed my opinion of the razor - I'm just astonished that such a thing happened. The irony lies in the fact that I am now getting such superb shaves from my Merkur 38C that it may take a while before the Chatsworth gets used.

I have read a few very complimentary reviews on the 38C, I am sure one of the vendor sites owners endorses it as a great everyday razor. Personally I find the Chatswoth a little handle heavy and it takes a few shaves to adjust to it. Perhaps the up upshot of this is that although they are different makers and heads, once you are used to them they deliver similar end results. but it nice to have the choice. and I still rotate razors regularly to stop me becoming sloppy.

There is actually a big difference between the Jagger and Merkur heads. The Merkur gets the blade closer to your skin so you need a lighter touch than with the Jagger. Perhaps others have studied the detail of comparative measurements of blade position and angle - not something I take much interest in.

Yeah me to, I tend to go for end result and I get good shaves with both despite their differences.

I guess we automatically adapt, you know and feel when a blade is cutting so you adjust your angle to suit and yes if I think about it I am lighter in touch with the Merkurs where with the EJ head I can shave with relative impunity from any burn or over shaving.

So your poor new Chatsworth is sitting there in the box unused and unloved, go on get it out for old times sake and see if you really are Popeye and break this one as well you vandal :lol:

Still it is good to know that they resolved it to your satisfaction in the end, these things you really don't envisage when buying a razor.

Back
Top Bottom