Moving to DE Razor from KoS

So, I currently shave with a King of Shaves razor four blade system, with the King of Shaves antibacterial shave gel and the king of shaves aftershave moisturiser. I suffer from razor burn and razor bumps (though less than I used to with other razors, aftershaves and gels/foams/serums/oils).

After a bit of research, there is a link about the multiple baldes causing issues with razor bumps. Hence I was thinking about getting a good DE razor, possibly a travel one to make life easier.

My questions are:
Are travel DE razors as good as proper DE razors?
Does anyone use a DE razor with a "modern" shave gel rather than brush on foam?
Any other advice for a newbie to DEs?

Yes, if you mean the likes of the Merkur 45C, bakelite or 3 piece razors.

I'm sure there are some guys out there, however brushless shave cream can be very hit and miss. There would be far fewer guys out there, who know how to wet shave, who would advocate a brush less shave cream or shave gel than would advocate brush and soap.

Don't skimp. That brush and soap, even a cheap RazoRock plissoft and Palmolive cream will be far better for reducing irritation than simply switching to a DE razor and keeping the current setup of using shave gel.
If you were to only change one part of your setup Id advise you to switch to brush and soap and start wetshaving with the razor you have.

Decent travel razor is a ' proper ' razor, just one whose handle can be disassembled. I'm not sure that it's really a big convenience as against rolling up a conventional DE in your wash bag, however that's just down to personal taste.
I'm sure that some member must use a gel, though most of us, as Cheesester said, go for a decent soap or cream. Specially people like me who have a history of skin probs.
Most important advice I'd offer would be to use no pressure if you go ahead with a DE razor, especially with a shave gel.
Best of luck.

JohnnyO. o/

I came back to DE over from a similar setup of KOS after loosing my plastic DE in the early 2000's.

What I think helped a lot back then was to go down to a large Boots branch an D getting their soap, Wilkinson Sword Classic razor and brush plus their lather shave cream.

It was all about a tenner at the time, all worked well to get rid of the bumps (once I stopped shaving against the grain) and I even got very nice results with the KOS Alpha gel. Once you master the technical aspects for me at list almost any cream or soap works fine.

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

The problem isn't the razor it's actually your technique, no doubt you're pressing too hard or shaving inappropriately against the grain and that is something you have to unlearn whatever the razor. A DE razor will help somewhat but as Shemen said the first thing you should be adopting is the use of a brush and cream or soap to create good lather, that'll start the improvement in your shave no end.

What antdad said. Watch all the technique videos on DE shaving you can manage and apply the same technique. First pass with the grain, second across, no pressure on the razor...
I would second some of the others and say get a cheap(ish) brush and some Palmolive cream. It's a really good soap and gives a good shave. It's also more consistent than the can stuff. Try face lathering and using a bowl. Find what works for you.
After all that you will doubtless want a DE...

So, I currently shave with a King of Shaves razor four blade system, with the King of Shaves antibacterial shave gel and the king of shaves aftershave moisturiser. I suffer from razor burn and razor bumps (though less than I used to with other razors, aftershaves and gels/foams/serums/oils).

After a bit of research, there is a link about the multiple baldes causing issues with razor bumps. Hence I was thinking about getting a good DE razor, possibly a travel one to make life easier.

My questions are:
On the question of travel razors I concur with @cheesepiece I will take my 45C when travelling now, but if I am flying and going with just carry on I recommend the Gillette Guard, cheap and disposable. I prefer to leave my more expensive or cherished razors safely at home. That said my favourite DE razor is my Fatip Piccolo which you can get for less than £20 so it would be easy to replace if lost.

Last time I went away I also took a single blade BIC disposable, which actually gave a pretty good shave, but I prefer the Guard.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Quick summary of what I'm taking away from this: using a proper brush and shaving soap is more important than the razor.

The follow up question then is; what sort of brush should I go for? Considering the price range of £5-£200, it is slightly scary. I'll do some searching and possibly ask another question about it later on.

(Though I am tempted by this starter set http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/de-safety-razor-shaving-starter-kit-sensitive-skin )

On the question of travel razors I concur with @cheesepiece I will take my 45C when travelling now, but if I am flying and going with just carry on I recommend the Gillette Guard, cheap and disposable. I prefer to leave my more expensive or cherished razors safely at home. That said my favourite DE razor is my Fatip Piccolo which you can get for less than £20 so it would be easy to replace if lost.

Last time I went away I also took a single blade BIC disposable, which actually gave a pretty good shave, but I prefer the Guard.
Psst..I still use my Gillette Guard occasionally,especially when travelling or visiting family& friends..excellent quick easy no fuss.

Last edited:

Quick summary of what I'm taking away from this: using a proper brush and shaving soap is more important than the razor.

The follow up question then is; what sort of brush should I go for? Considering the price range of £5-£200, it is slightly scary. I'll do some searching and possibly ask another question about it later on.

(Though I am tempted by this starter set http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/de-safety-razor-shaving-starter-kit-sensitive-skin )
As a starter I find it hard to look past the RazoRock line of synthetic brushes.
http://www.italianbarber.com/search?q=Plissoft

Real badger and boar provide challenges and a learning curve re: creating lather that is just not a factor when using synthetic fibre shaving brushes.

I've had a look at the starter kit and i would seriously consider getting it it's got everything you need for a wonderful introduction to DE shaving the Soap & brush are products you can't go wrong with, my only additional items which i would consider adding to the list is a bottle of witch hazel & some aftershave balm or moisturizer, all can be bought at Home Bargains at a very reasonable price.& also consider a Omega S series synthetic brush, i got mine from Ebay superb for travelling..You don't have to buy really expensive stuff, practise learn your technique, don't expect too much at first it's a learning curve..which i'm still learning myself..Practise your lathering technique, and my most humble advice is.. "don't apply any pressure to the razor!', let the weight of the razor do the work..you control the shave, not the razor..enjoy your new shaving experience.Regards.

Last edited:
Looks like stonking great value for that particular combination in the starter pack Puffster. In your position I'd certainly give it serious consideration. For me any multi bladed cartridge razor is a recipe for skin probs, so of course I'm invariably going to tell people to move away from multi blades if they experience skin shaving difficulties. But, in truth, I'd bet you should see a vast improvement in skin condition with a change to brush, and a genuine shaving soap. Just don't forget, no pressure.

JohnnyO. o/

That's a great setup but, if you are choosing a bundle setup, I would go for the one with Proraso cream in the green tub. The white tub cream is inferior in my opinion.
Plus, there's a TSR discount from shavelounge. A discount code is somewhere on this site, maybe in the vendor section.
Coincidentally my first ever DE shaving order was from shavelounge, formerly named nkdman. Anthony who runs the show is a true gent and very knowledgeable.

...Plus, there's a TSR discount from shavelounge. A discount code is somewhere on this site, maybe in the vendor section...
Agree on the great starter bundle - nicely thought out products. Maybe add a cheap Omega synthetic brush while you're at it.

I didn't think there was a discount code anymore for Shavelounge. I thought that was replaced with the 5% cashback deal.
If there is a discount code, can you let me know as I've recently placed a few orders thinking there was no code!

Back
Top Bottom