Morning ablutions including 1st time Merkur Futur

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome on the welcome board.

I got up at 5:30 and this is today's routine

Put Merkur Future and steel dish in hot water in the wash basin
Hot shower
Lathered the TOBS Lime & Lemon Shave cream - wow - what a lather
Rinse face with hot water
Apply lather to face
Pass 1 - Future on setting 1 with Gillette Platinum Nacet
Lather face again (forgot to hot rinse face)
Pass 2 -Future on Setting 2
Hot rinse face
Lather face
Pass 3 - Future on Setting 3 - wow this razor is sharp. The Nacet has been blunt with the cheap Chinese razor. The future turns that blade into a very sharp thing!
Got a nick on the chin, but other than that the smoothest shave I've ever had. I've still got a bit of tiny stubble on a part of my neck and left hand side of the moustache.

Cold rinse
Wet alum block
Boots post recovery balm
Wash and tidy up razor
Lip balm
Brush 1 -Electric toothbrush using hydrogen peroxide and sodium bicarbonate (hence the lip balm!!!)
Mouth rinse
Brush 2 - Electric toothbrush with Arm & Hammer toothpaste
Mouth rinse
Boots Anti Ageing Balm on face and neck
Boots under eye balm
Umbro eau de toilette Action

(Two lightly fried eggs and an Espresso)

One happy chap :)

Sounds like you got on well.

I'm not sure about adjusting the Futur between passes, and if you do, I think the normal approach is to reduce the aggressiveness between passes. I have never found the need to do this, and personally don't like adjusting razors while they have a blade loaded, especially the future as you have to hold the head in order to adjust it, one slight slip and it could be painful.

I usually dial down after each pass with my Mergress or Slim. Usually start with a 3 (Mer) and 6 (Slim) and dial down one number after each pass. I do a 3 pass shave, WTG, XTG and ATG.
When you dial up after each pass is it the same pass each time, Umar? That could work but never tried it myself.

I'm also in the set and forget mind set though I have it set to stun, somewhere between 3.5 and 4.5. LTB's warning is spot on, while I've not slipped with the razor, I frequently notice cut marks on my fingers.

It is a great razor, enjoy.

Thanks for all the tips guys. This morning I set it at 3 & I got another great shave.

I'm waiting for some Pre cream and I might get some different blades.

I can't wait to shave tomorrow - I normally let it grow at the weekend!!

Never adjust with wet soapy hands!

I had to glue the pad of my finger back on with super glue. It worked well, the glue not the razor, I keep trying but can not get on with the Futur. Just love the noise it makes though!

Try the Progress if you want something similar but less bloodthirsty. Easier to load (although still could be better) and same kind of performance. It worked for me anyway

Re: RE: Morning ablutions including 1st time Merkur Futur

Lose the beard said:
Sounds like you got on well.

I'm not sure about adjusting the Futur between passes, and if you do, I think the normal approach is to reduce the aggressiveness between passes. I have never found the need to do this, and personally don't like adjusting razors while they have a blade loaded, especially the future as you have to hold the head in order to adjust it, one slight slip and it could be painful.

From personal experience, I no longer do this. You'd be surprised how much blood you can lose from a cut finger whilst dialling down a Merkur Futur loaded with a blade when your fingers are covered in shaving soap. :(

NotTheStig said:
Try the Progress if you want something similar but less bloodthirsty. Easier to load (although still could be better) and same kind of performance. It worked for me anyway

I can see why some forum members soon start building up a razor collection. I've got a cheap Chinese razor and a plastic gillette one aswell as the Futur. I'll soon have one for each day of the week, but I reckon some you guys have a razor for each day of the month!!!
:)

This morning I dialled the futur up to 3.5 - and that was too much. My skin is irritated. I though because the blade had been used twice before I should dial it up - big mistake.

I've also got quite a few nicks.

Lesson learned - new blade tomorrow and back down to 1-2 on the futur.

Back
Top Bottom