Mongoose

Out of interest.... Do peoples batch 2's have 'mongoose' engraved on them? Mine does not but I think I have seen photos of others that have. I don't really care, but just wondering???

Well, for what it's worth, here is my view. I have a B2 Satin 'goose that arrived in the week before Christmas. I was determined to give it a really good trial and that has been the case - I haven't used anything else since it arrived. Currently that sits at 23 shaves.

I have to say it is superb. Thus far my favourite blade is the Kai Captain, which I used for 10 straight shaves and I think it could have gone further. It is solid, looks great and delivers a superb shave. I'm not sure what my other razors are going to do now. All I really want now is an open comb base plate for the 'goose, which is touted for later this year. Short of a back up head that may well be the end of my razor buying days (and not before time I can hear from her indoors!)

For me it beats the Cobra hands down in all areas.

If you get the chance to own one I would go for it.

All the best,

Jon

Ferrum said:
MPH said:
Out of interest.... Do peoples batch 2's have 'mongoose' engraved on them? Mine does not but I think I have seen photos of others that have. I don't really care, but just wondering???

Mine does.
Cool maybe I have a highly rare one then!!! Like when a stamp is printed the wrong way etc!!!

Now where is that Aston Martin garage!!!!! Lol

jds said:
Well, for what it's worth, here is my view. I have a B2 Satin 'goose that arrived in the week before Christmas. I was determined to give it a really good trial and that has been the case - I haven't used anything else since it arrived. Currently that sits at 23 shaves.

I have to say it is superb. Thus far my favourite blade is the Kai Captain, which I used for 10 straight shaves and I think it could have gone further. It is solid, looks great and delivers a superb shave. I'm not sure what my other razors are going to do now. All I really want now is an open comb base plate for the 'goose, which is touted for later this year. Short of a back up head that may well be the end of my razor buying days (and not before time I can hear from her indoors!)

For me it beats the Cobra hands down in all areas.

If you get the chance to own one I would go for it.

All the best,

Jon
Hear, hear.

As if I didn't like the Mongoose enough.... I contacted them today to just ask if the batch 2s should be engraved or not as mine isn't. I wasnt at all complaining as i actually like things that are slightly different from the normal, but I was just interested to find out. Anyway, they said it should have been engraved and imediately offered to replace the razor head! Of course I said I wasn't bothered and I didn't need it replacing, but it shows what a great company they are.

It seems today some shaving businesses are often uncontactable or uninterested, so its really nice to see how commited they are to making their customers happy!

I hope the mongoose company is around for some time to come!

I've literally just gone on their waiting list. I must be mad as I've only just bought my Ikon DLC with bulldog handle

Spoke to Brian at Executive shaving who said as of February ES will be sole Suppliers of Mongoose Razors in Europe

Interestingly I had a really bad shave with the Mongoose last week. I shave at night and it left me feeling very stubbly all the next day. Felt like a proper scruff bag.

It was the first time I'd used a Feather Professional in it, and tonight I tried the same blade in a Cobra Classic with BBS results.

Therefore Feather Pro's don't, I think, work for me in it. Looks like I'll have to use Feather Supers as they give me cracking results.

Has there been talk of a difference between Batches 1 and 2? Or between Polished and Satin heads?

I've been using a loaner Satin - courtesy of the generous man with a sore face - and this morning used a Polished head - on a bronze UFO till my Templ8 handle arrives - and found it to be more aggressive. Not viscous by any means but with a bit more bite - had to temper the angle immediately. I used the same blade in both.

I think the Satin was Batch 2 and the Polished Batch 1 but I'm not sure of the later - so I wondered if the difference has been reported before.

For the third pass I used a new Gillette Flexball Power to get a closer, easier BBS than with the un-powered and, of course, as I'd hoped, the handle is much better by being of greater diameter to accommodate the battery.

Tall_Paul said:
Therefore Feather Pro's don't, I think, work for me in it. Looks like I'll have to use Feather Supers as they give me cracking results.
Interestingly the first time I used a Feather Pro in my 'goose I wasn't that impressed. Not smooth or irritation free as I found with the Kai blade I had used for ten shaves previously. However the Feather improved dramatically over the next few mornings, so perhaps it is worth persevering with..
Bechet45 said:
I think the Satin was Batch 2 and the Polished Batch 1 but I'm not sure of the later - so I wondered if the difference has been reported before.
Carl - Satin is definitely B2 and B1 was exclusively polished heads. I recall seeing or reading something about how different blades give different levels of blade gap / exposure that may impact the shave. I'll see if I can find the information again and post.

Just seems odd, that there is no Mongoose website. I like what pics I've seen of them, but when your serious about getting one you'd like to see your options. Guessing there's only 2 options with the heads, but handles are a personal choice, and it'd be good to see the various ones.

jds said:
Bechet45 said:
Carl - Satin is definitely B2 and B1 was exclusively polished heads. I recall seeing or reading something about how different blades give different levels of blade gap / exposure that may impact the shave. I'll see if I can find the information again and post.

I've just been told by PM that my Polished Head is Batch 2.

I think that Satin and Polished were included in both Batches 1 and 2 but Satin will be discontinued in Batch 3. I am fairly sure this is accurate but not certain.

Back
Top Bottom