Mongoose B3 Satin Razor

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Well, for those not in the know, it is a Mongoose Satin (B3), single edge razor, manufactured from stainless steel.

METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
This was where I was expecting something quite different. I'm not sure why but I did. Anyhow, I digress. The angle is quite intuitive on this razor, and with the standard handle, it is nicely balanced. Because of the hefty weight of the handle, there is no inclination to use any pressure at all, something fundamental to a good shave. The standard handle is the ideal length for me as I have quite large hands, it fits perfectly. So, with the razor being comfortable in the hand, I had high hopes for a good shave. I wasn't to be disappointed. I'd done plenty of reading on the Mongoose as let's face it, the value of the razor means it's a significant razor-based purchase. I'd read that for some the head is very big, verging on too big. Some people said the handle was too heavy. All I noticed (coming from traditional DE shaving) that the extra width on the blade took some 30 seconds tops to get used to. The shave was very quick, too quick in fact. It was so smooth (with a Feather Pro blade) that I barely noticed the blade at all. Three passes (with, across and against the grain) were achieved in lightning speed, with ZERO drama. Even my trouble spots where anything less than a blade that is lethally sharp felt like they were being massaged by twenty vestal virgins as opposed to being attacked with a razor blade. In Yoda speak, blown away I was.

Now onto the razor description. This is clearly a very high quality item, machined to very close tolerances, and finished to almost perfection. The razor is a three piece unit, with lugs on the top cap to hold the blade securely between it and the head. Everything just fits like a glove. The handle screws securely onto the threaded stud without any force, and just holds itself perfectly in place. I'll let the photographs do the talking from here on in...

Top cap and base plate:
IMG_9982.jpg

IMG_9983.jpg

IMG_9987.jpg

Together:
IMG_9988.jpg

Paul (@globalm) was kind enough to loan me two handles with the razor, the top being the standard, the lower being a Hempel Titanium (quite a bit lighter and a good half inch shorter):
IMG_9991.jpg

Quality finish:
IMG_9994.jpg

Hempel:
IMG_9995.jpg

IMG_9997.jpg

Razor built (sans blade):
IMG_9998.jpg

IMG_9999.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

With Hempel:
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Loading a blade:
IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Loaded:
IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
OK, I wanted to be blown away by this razor for various reasons (mainly cost and the perceived hype), and I was NOT disappointed one bit. The shave is quite simply remarkable, and ultimately it would be this that was the deciding factor as to whether or not to purchase a Mongoose. Being a high priced item, buying one blind is a huge risk, but thankfully, the very generous nature of the wet shaving community (and in particular Paul who honoured me with the loan of this razor) allowed me to try before I buy. This razor, grouped with a quality Feather blade, and sublime soap (Phoenix & Beau) have given me the very best shaves of my life. I do not think that this can be improved upon. It is THAT good.

Very comprehensive review, Nick and thanks for the kind words. It is great isn't it?
It's beyond great :) To go from shaving hell (Pre traditional shaving with a Mach 3) to what I perceived as shaving heaven (39C and good software etc), then to discover this, it's quite simply mind blowing. I didn't imagine that a shave could be so close AND so comfortable. I may even invest in two, one for me and one for my son when he comes of age, which if he's anything like me, he'll be shaving by 11 :D

Nice review @nick_s!

I absolutely love my Batch 2 'Goose and it has basically killed my RAD. Since owning it I have sold all but two of my DE, and I haven't come close to buying anything other than a straight razor since.

Like you I simply can't see how I could get a better, closer, easier shave with anything else.....although I am open to trying the occasional new one, just to see!!! LOL.

It's beyond great :) To go from shaving hell (Pre traditional shaving with a Mach 3) to what I perceived as shaving heaven (39C and good software etc), then to discover this, it's quite simply mind blowing. I didn't imagine that a shave could be so close AND so comfortable. I may even invest in two, one for me and one for my son when he comes of age, which if he's anything like me, he'll be shaving by 11 :D

Funny you should say that.... I have already bought one each for my son's in case they stop making them....and the youngest was <6months when I got his!!!

Sooooo ... Questions!

Does it feel aggressive? I like to really feel the blade.
Does it clog easily? Doesn't look like much space for the lather/bristles/skin/nose to escape from.

Not that I'm looking to buy one. Oh no. Asking for a friend :D

It definitely changed the game when it rocked up in 2014. The B2 shook up my shaving preferences and orientated me towards later injectors and vintage SEs.

I currently find the Mongoose a bit ham-fisted but probably the most user-friendly delivery of the excellent Artist Club blades... until I master the Feather anyway.

Nice review @nick_s!

I absolutely love my Batch 2 'Goose and it has basically killed my RAD. Since owning it I have sold all but two of my DE, and I haven't come close to buying anything other than a straight razor since.

Like you I simply can't see how I could get a better, closer, easier shave with anything else.....although I am open to trying the occasional new one, just to see!!! LOL.
Thank you :D

This has ignited my RAD :D Before trying it I didn't really have any inkling of it, just the curiosity to try the 'goose...needless to say I am hooked!

Funny you should say that.... I have already bought one each for my son's in case they stop making them....and the youngest was <6months when I got his!!!
My Joshua is 6, not too long to go before he can use one :) You can tell when something is special, I would actually consider spending money on it :D

Sooooo ... Questions!

Does it clog easily? Doesn't look like much space for the lather/bristles/skin/nose to escape from.

I'm going to say no, it's not aggressive at all. It is the smoothest shave I've ever had. It is also the most efficient shave I've ever had. When paired with a quality soap (I've only used Phoenix and Beau with it), I have achieved what I thought impossible, the perfect shave. Close, drama free and ultimately brilliant.

When conversing with Paul regarding borrowing the razor he mentioned that many don't like the Mongoose as they say it is too mild, and that mildness is confused with the smooth nature of the razor. It is indeed that smooth, and the P&B soap that good, you feel like your face is being flicked with the wings of angels. I know that is a bit of a hyperbole, but it is justified in this instance :)

I have had no issues with clogging at all, and I like my lather relatively thick for safety razor shaving :) Granted I shave daily so there is never a huge amount of whacked whisker to clog it up, and never any nose or skin :D

Sooooo ... Questions!

Hi there,

Just the opposite....the blade is barely noticeable on my face. It's one reason I like that Mongoose head so much.

What you wanna tell your 'friend' to try is one of them Cobra versions with a real sharp blade. That will take care of his druthers.

I was expecting big things of the Mongoose B3 Satin. The construction is sublime, a very weighty razor with the standard handle and everything lines up perfectly. For me it's maybe a little too heavy, I may experiment with different handles but this will alter the balance and aggression/efficiency. This is where I was a little disappointed. Coming from a 1st gen Cobra Classic which is about as aggressive and efficient as you can get short of a straight razor, the Mongoose felt very, very mild. I used Proraso sandalwood and a Kai Captain blade which may have been the issue but it took 3 passes plus touch ups to get a BBS which would have been just 2 and touch ups with the Cobra. There was however absolutely no irritation and no alum sting which was refreshing, however this could be due to the fact the shave wasn't as close as I'm used to. The shave was however smooth as silk with minimal, if any blade feel on the face and no tugging, pulling or clogging.

After fears of the size of the head meaning shaving under the nose would be a problem, it really wasn't. The angle of the head meant it was perfectly ok.

I'll try a feather super blade next and see if that makes a difference. But for now :

Closeness – 7/10

Comfort – 10/10

Construction – 10/10

I was expecting big things of the Mongoose B3 Satin. The construction is sublime, a very weighty razor with the standard handle and everything lines up perfectly. For me it's maybe a little too heavy, I may experiment with different handles but this will alter the balance and aggression/efficiency. This is where I was a little disappointed. Coming from a 1st gen Cobra Classic which is about as aggressive and efficient as you can get short of a straight razor, the Mongoose felt very, very mild. I used Proraso sandalwood and a Kai Captain blade which may have been the issue but it took 3 passes plus touch ups to get a BBS which would have been just 2 and touch ups with the Cobra. There was however absolutely no irritation and no alum sting which was refreshing, however this could be due to the fact the shave wasn't as close as I'm used to. The shave was however smooth as silk with minimal, if any blade feel on the face and no tugging, pulling or clogging.

After fears of the size of the head meaning shaving under the nose would be a problem, it really wasn't. The angle of the head meant it was perfectly ok.

I'll try a feather super blade next and see if that makes a difference. But for now :

Closeness – 7/10

Comfort – 10/10

Construction – 10/10
I had a similar experience at first with the Mongoose B3 Satin not shaving as close as I would have liked when I was experimenting with various blades. Feather Pro Super was the answer for me, with a close and comfortable shave each and every time. It was like night and day compared to the other blades. I hope you'll have a similar experience when you try the Supers :)

I had a similar experience at first with the Mongoose B3 Satin not shaving as close as I would have liked when I was experimenting with various blades. Feather Pro Super was the answer for me, with a close and comfortable shave each and every time. It was like night and day compared to the other blades. I hope you'll have a similar experience when you try the Supers :)
I hope so - coming from a Cobra Classic where the feather blades are a bit too sharp as the blade exposure is pretty severe, I used Kamisori, Dorco and Kai blades or sometimes Feather Pro Guard to tame it. Sounds like the mongoose will need a sharper blade. Five hours after shaving and I can feel stubble already.....

My experience is identical. I even found other blades rougher than Supers somehow.

My experience is identical. I even found other blades rougher than Supers somehow.
Sounds a bit like the Mongoose is a bit of a one blade razor - pun intended- I do like the design, the flat surface angling makes it virtually impossible to miss the correct blade angle, however I did feel some drag when doing the touch ups- probably due to the large area touching my skin compared to rounded caps on my DE razors and the lather losing it's slickness late in the shave.

Closeness – 7/10

Comfort – 10/10

Construction – 10/10

I preferred the Feather blade over the Kai. It felt smoother and shaved marginally closer (although to be fair, both blades shaved very close anyway).

Just tried a feather pro, admittedly I was rushing as my 8 month only decided she wanted to help daddy instead of playing in the bath as usual. I found the result again irritation free and very smooth but again not as close as I expected. 3 passes and touch ups and there is still missed areas. I think the problem is my lather being too thick and poor quality added to rushed prep. I'll try some musgo real oak tomorrow with a feather super and relax. I'm sure there is an excellent razor in there somewhere but so far I'm still undecided.

Back
Top Bottom