Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap

I have 'played' about with this soap recently and am getting some good lathers from it everytime. I can only echo what others have said here, and what I have done recently:

wet brush in warm water, lightly squeeze out water, it should be damp, not sopping wet.
Load the brush
Load the brush
Load the brush some more

Apply to damp face, add addtional water if you feel is necessary (dip ends in warm water).

I am using Neo custom 2 band finest for a brush.
I too feel your frustrations fido, but I am sticking with MWF for a while longer.

Fido,my spanish friend,DU212 made these 2 videos about how to make lather with MWF/kent with a badger and a boar brush.Theyre both in spanish but you can see how he does it,its pretty easy.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hX9-oIWIg[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2SHXSipwOE&feature=related[/youtube]

Fido said:
Looking at the Plisson performance, if it takes nearly 4 minutes to get a decent lather from a soap I'd say that was unacceptable.

Thanks Tieste.
Oh Fido,I think that DU212 got a decent lather before the 4 mminutes mark,I will say around 1;50...the other 3 minutes were just him playing with the soap! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MWF is one of those contrary products we love to hate. I use warmed bottled water and oddly the lather improves by the 3rd pass when most of the crop circles have been obliterated from my noble profile. I do know the lanolin does wonders for my skin. I also swear holding a new puck to one's ear like a seashell produces sheep baaaing and a Yorkshire farmer whistling to his dog.This helps put me in the proper shaving trance for a lovely shave.

O.K. How many people upon reading this grabbed a puck and put it to ear? Confess :lol:

Hmmm. I haven't touched my puck for a few weeks. The other day I felt like some Wool Fat and took the mug (with the mwf inside) into the bathroom. I couldn't produce a lather. Tried again the next day with a stiffer and drier brush - no luck. Has keeping it in a mug, out in the open changed it in some way? I had no problems producing decent lather when I was using it daily a month ago :(

Used my Kent/MWF this morning after not using it for a while and it was fine. Just needed a little extra work, which MWF tends to need anyway.

Ian

Thanks Hunny. I've tried it a few times. It looks the same as its always done. I will persevere and try it out later. Cheers.

sonny said:
Thanks Hunny. I've tried it a few times. It looks the same as its always done. I will persevere and try it out later. Cheers.

Ignore this if you've already tried it:

Soak the puck in a little bit of luke warm/room temperature/... even a little coolish water for a while before you do the shave. If it's dried out rough and showing cracks and craters like Tammy Faye's close ups, let it soak for a good while, say half an hour or so. I find the 'soak water' can be poured into the lather bowl and make some bubble water, or even directly rub it into the beard to keep the skin/beard moist and softened as pre-shavery stuff.

It might help - play with the idea - it might be your your friend again.

:D Right after purchasing 5 pucks yesterday i set to work today with this..I was a bit pissed after finding out this is made for kent as well,tried the kent soap a while back and wasnt that impressed...well dont know what the differance is/was but my god did this perform well...Left puck soaking in mug covered with very hot water for around 2-3 mins along with brush/razor then poured water away flicked brush water out, then set to work on puck then lathered straight on face,very thick lather looked like santa,would say this was my best shave to date for closeness.. :shave

Back
Top Bottom