Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) - a not very helpful tutorial.

Thought I would add my little bit to this. I have some Kent Traditional which is said to be the same as MWF. I lather on the puck until I've got rid of the fluffy stuff and then switch to a ceramic bowl which at present is a small portmeirion flower pot (posher stuff on the way!) I soon create a nice textured lather that is a delight to apply and use. Both my Duke and 1305 are equally effective. Which is just as well because I have a new refill of proper MWF in stock.

Fido said:
Thought I would add my little bit to this. I have some Kent Traditional which is said to be the same as MWF. I lather on the puck until I've got rid of the fluffy stuff and then switch to a ceramic bowl which at present is a small portmeirion flower pot (posher stuff on the way!) I soon create a nice textured lather that is a delight to apply and use. Both my Duke and 1305 are equally effective. Which is just as well because I have a new refill of proper MWF in stock.

I load my brush in the same fashion ( not with MWF, but thats about to change ) and then go straight to the face and lather on it. This gives the warm lather longer to soften the beard and to work the lather into the opened pores. Plus it is one less thing to clean up.

sonny said:
Hi,

Can someone please tell me if this has tallow in it? According to Wikipedia tallow comes from cows? That means I can't use it :(

Hi Sonny,
I would imagine from the name that it also has lanolin, which is oil from wool. Not sure if you're a vegan or a vegetarian. I make both vegan and vegetarian soaps (silk being the thing that makes the vegetarian soap non vegan); I've bravely opened a topic in shaving soaps for people to give feedback on what they think of it over the coming days, if you're interested.

That is correct SA, Mitchall's wool fat does contain lanolin, it is a sustainable resource as it is extracted from freshly shorn wool so it is a totally natural product, could or would lanolin not qualify as an ingredient for one of your'e soaps?
I have certainly seen "ethically" sourced lanolin in some skin products.

Hi Ant,
I could use lanolin....I could use tallow (which is a very good ingredient, being snow white and hard). But my feeling is that a higher proportion of the people who want an all natural product will also want vegetarian and/or vegan products. Whilst it may be the case that you don't need to kill sheep to obtain lanolin, all such products ultimately contribute to the profitability of the meat industry.
For the record, I am not in fact vegetarian, although I don't eat a lot of meat. (Did you know that the Dalai Lama eats a little daily on medical recommendation!!) But I somehow feel that as a manufacturer, no matter how tiny, I should adopt as responsible an approach as possible. The reasons I feel it is responsible to avoid/ minimise animal products - the cruelty of farming methods and the fact that much more food can be obtained from an acre growing plants than an acre growing cows.
And ultimately, I don't think you have to compromise on quality by avoiding animal products in soap. Although having seen your highly detailed and very informative lather tutorial, my trepidation regarding feedback is growing..... But, it is possible to change the lathering characteristics (if necessary) by using different oils and/ or adjusting ratios. Get shaving and give me your expert opinion!! :)

Thanks...but I'm not an expert, like many of us I am an enthusiast that nearly gave up shaving having endured miserable shaves for years.

An expert after 10,000 hour's or 10 years then maybe... :?

henkverhaar said:
sonny said:
Hi,

Can someone please tell me if this has tallow in it? According to Wikipedia tallow comes from cows? That means I can't use it :(

why not? vegetarian? hindu?

just curious...

Henk

Spot on. Hindu .

Damnit, so I'll have to add Mitchell's Wool Fat to already growing list of stuff i can't use:

meat
eggs
Jelly
Many cakes (eggs, gelatin)
TABAC !!!!!!!

Hang on a minute, I'm wearing a leather belt. Ahh FFS. I think I might get me some MWF. It's a soap right?

Would you agree , IN GENERAL, that a lot of enthusiasts, after starting with cream will slowly move onto and stick with soaps? That's the impression i'm getting...

sonny said:
Hang on a minute, I'm wearing a leather belt. Ahh FFS. I think I might get me some MWF. It's a soap right?

Would you agree , IN GENERAL, that a lot of enthusiasts, after starting with cream will slowly move onto and stick with soaps? That's the impression i'm getting...

I suppose it all boils down to how devout you are - the guy that married one of my Muslim friends converted to do so, yet he's still been seen regularly stuffing a bacon butty down his neck...

hunnymonster said:
sonny said:

I suppose it all boils down to how devout you are - the guy that married one of my Muslim friends converted to do so, yet he's still been seen regularly stuffing a bacon butty down his neck...

Sonny, if you are going to follow the path of non-injury to all creatures you may not be able to shave either. :shock: ;)

antdad said:
hunnymonster said:
sonny said:

Sonny, if you are going to follow the path of non-injury to all creatures you may not be able to shave either. :shock: ;)

lol. I wish i never started shaving at 13. I remember using my dads sensor excel with water as my cream and it hurting a bit but also being amazed by the experience at the same time too. He told me not to shave till later. He was right, of course, but I couldn't wait.

How did folk years and years ago shave? I just read a book which had a picture of Sir Isaac Newton and he was clean shaven. I doubt he had the prototype of the superspeeds

Back
Top Bottom