Mikael and Coffee

Mikael was pretty sure that Sweden drank more Coffee than other countries, and I was sure it was the USA! So I looked it up on Wikipedia . We were both wrong Mikael, although you were a lot closer than I was! Finland is the top consumer per head of population, followed by the rest of Scandinavia, with Sweden coming in at 6th place. USA is at a surprising 26th, and the UK is at No.47.

I would have thought that with all those inappropriate daylight hours you get, 24/7 at a certain time of the year, a more likely national drink would have been Cocoa,(and perhaps sleeping tablets for some). :D

quattrojames said:
47th?? Thats a bit disappointing!

I blame Costa ripping me off nearly three quid for a Mocha :roll:
Hi quattro!

Yes, we do have to fork out loadsa dosh foe a Costa or a Starbucks in this country, but it's more expensive in Sweden or in the rest of Scandinavia! But then again, everything is a lot more expensive up there. :)

Well, I dunno about the more expensive part. A good caffee latte is around 2 - 2 1/2 gpb here, but I usually do my own (I´m a proud Rancilio Silva and Macap owner). When I was in London last year the coffee seemed to be roughly the same, in price, qulity/taste aren´t even close :lol:

Thanks for checking it out, I thought we and the Finns (I´m a half Finn) where the worst.

Mikael said:
Well, I dunno about the more expensive part. A good caffee latte is around 2 - 2 1/2 gpb here, but I usually do my own (I´m a proud Rancilio Silva and Macap owner). When I was in London last year the coffee seemed to be roughly the same, in price, qulity/taste aren´t even close :lol:

Thanks for checking it out, I thought we and the Finns (I´m a half Finn) where the worst.

You are welcome Mikael. I really enjoy a cup of good quality, freshly brewed coffee. However, I haven't heard of a Rancilio Silva coffee-maker, I guess it must have a reputation similar to a Gaggia, would I be right in that assumption? Also my nephew is really in to his coffee, and has purchased a machine, but I don't know what make it is! He has been thinking for a long time now about starting up his own import business with possibly retail premises, mainly for the green beans only, and then doing the roasting himself!

spandex.. :)

spandexcodpiece said:
Mikael said:

You are welcome Mikael. I really enjoy a cup of good quality, freshly brewed coffee. However, I haven't heard of a Rancilio Silva coffee-maker, I guess it must have a reputation similar to a Gaggia, would I be right in that assumption? Also my nephew is really in to his coffee, and has purchased a machine, but I don't know what make it is! He has been thinking for a long time now about starting up his own import business with possibly retail premises, mainly for the green beans only, and then doing the roasting himself!

Yes, you´re right. The Caggia Classic and Rancilio Silva are considered as the best if you don´t want to "invest" in a high end home machine (read 1000 and up gbp).

Mikael said:
spandexcodpiece said:
Mikael said:

Yes, you´re right. The Caggia Classic and Rancilio Silva are considered as the best if you don´t want to "invest" in a high end home machine (read 1000 and up gbp).

Happy days! ....and is the Macap a Burr grinder for the beans, as opposed to a "crappy" blade grinder ? :)

spandexcodpiece said:
Happy days! ....and is the Macap a Burr grinder for the beans, as opposed to a "crappy" blade grinder ? :)

Yes, burr, you can´t have good grinded beans with a blade grinder :eek: :lol: Seriously though, you wouldn´t be able to make an espresso with a blade grinder and a Rancilio, they work fine with lower end machines.

Back
Top Bottom