Micro Bleeding if I shave too frequently

HI All,

Wondering if I could get some advise.

I've been DE shaving for the last 6 months +/- and was Mach3 + goo prior to that.

I have always experienced this issue weather DE or Mach3.

The problem is if I shave too frequently (without a three day break) I get lots of pin-head cuts mainly on the base of neck and near moles on my cheek. The cuts usually close with cold water - occasionally needing a styptic.

My stubble is very course - feels like sandpaper after +1 day, becoming softer to the touch as more time elapses.

I'm pretty sure it's not technique:

- Shower
- Hot water
- WTG (some bleeding can occur)
- XTG (more bleeding)
- ATG (more bleeding)
- Hot Water wash
- Cold water
- Pat dry
- Styptic if needed
- Nivea ASB

I don't get any irritation - just loads of micro bleeds.

I get the same problem regardless of blade / razor or cream / soap.

As I said - if I leave it to grow 3+ days I'm a happy camper.

Any suggestions?

Is your bathroom cold? Bit obvious I know but of course you need to be warm, relaxed, and prepared. I had pinhead bleeds around my neck many years ago from rushed or no prep in cold bathrooms.

Otherwise I'd agree with STG and BS. Get rid of the against the grain pass for sure, that's not helping anything, and do loosen off the pressure, too much pressure will always shred a sensitive area. A DE doesn't need to be mashed onto the skin, let it fall on it's own weight, you only need to guide.

Around my neck / Adams apple area I only ever go with the grain, and that's plenty even for my heavy stubble.

The bathroom is cold. . . I like the window open after a hot shower :)

I get some bleeds with the WTG pass too ?

I don't think I apply pressure, but will be more conscious of it next time

Agree with above generally but it does sound like you are trying to apply your 3 day shave routine to a daily one. If you want to be able to shave daily you may have to sacrifice some closeness for comfort in order to allow your skin to recover more quickly. I'd knock it back to one or two daily WTG pass shaves for a week or two after a while your beard and skin get used to it and you can introduce other types of passes if need be.

Witch hazel also works for me.

Personally I never go ATG. 2 passes is plenty for me, one with the grain, one across, but even then on some days I will just do one pass with the grain to look presentable and at the same time give my chops a rest.

I do like to shave every day but I do go easy. I'm still new to it though, some may differ.

Blyth Spirit said:
Ease all pressure would be my advice.

Agreed!..also open a window in your bathroom or after a shower keep the heater running for 30minutes..helps clear out the moisture
I never knew this and sweat like a horse afterwards and got really fatigued..lol..the builder saved me with his advice!

Blades

CanucksTraveller said:
Get rid of the against the grain pass for sure, that's not helping anything

Totally agree,this is just not possible for some people including myself and if you read shaving guidelines from some leading companies like trumpers,they advice NOT to shave against the grain,for me its always WTG,then obviously I might have to shave everyday to look presentale,but then again that's a small price to pay,better than those dodgy ingrowns

Sounds like too much pressure to me. Regarding the ATG, I only do that on certain parts of my face for my usual shave, but will sometimes do all ATG if I need to be completely smooth.

I would suggest leaving the ATG pass out for a while, and don't go chasing the super close shave for a while, concentrate on the shave being acceptable, but more importantly, comfortable.

Ian

Hi,
the best piece of advice from this forum has been let the razor do the work.
I thought I was being light touched but when I next shaved I realised I wasn't. 30 years of cartridge shaving is a hard habit to break!
This morning I did 2 WTG passes and it has been my best shave in 2 weeks to date. I'm not trying to shave everything off just concentrating on pressure and blade angle and im hoping the rest will come.
Cheers,
Tim

I do one WTG & one AGT, but then when I see some of the young guys at the gymn shaving with disposable multi blades I realise that they mostly really do seem to be scraping away at a length and with an apparent pressure which would leave my face a red ruin if I attacked it with anything like the same gusto with either an SE or a DE.

So, I'm entirely with the almost unanimous suggestion to cut back even more , if poss, on the pressure and try just one WTG pass on a daily basis to see how things settle down.

I don't know if you've tried any glycerine based soaps which work very well for me (not everyone likes them) ; however if you haven't & want a sample just send me a not of your adress & I'll post on a sample of Mama Bear for you to try.

JohnnyO. :D /

Back
Top Bottom