Merkur progress v Gillette slim adjustable v Fatboy

Progress, Slim or Fatboy?

• Total voters
I'm considering splashing out on an adjustable. The three options as I see it are a new Merkur Progress or used Slim or Fatboy. I know the Futur is also out there but it looks like it's been designed by an asymetricaly haircutted, skinny jeaned wearing, black framed NHS glasses toting hipster with a 2:2 degree in design from the University of Bangor.

What to go for? I want something that will last me for years of day in, day out use. There are plusses and minuses on all options:

The Merkur will be mine from new though the Gillettes are classics.

The Fatboy comes with a price premium inflated by "scene tax", does that make it shave any better than a Slim?

Any thoughts?

I think the Fatboy shaves better than the Slim, others think the opposite. Try out both for yourself if you can.

I'm not feeling the Progress yet, which I'm surprised by as I really like the Merkur HD. It feels a bit unbalanced to me.

My personal order would be:

1. Progress/Mergress;
2. Slim;
3. Fatboy.

My Slim was my introduction into adjustable shaving and I really liked it. The Fatboy, whilst good, did not live up to the hype and was not as good as my Slim. Since being given a a Mergress for my 40th a year ago I would say that this razor is my favourite adjustable, in terms of balance and quality of shave with a variety of blades.

I'd say:

1. Progress
2. Fatboy
3. Slim

They way the progress cuts is just brilliant. Close and comfortable.

I find it's easy to get close in the vintage razors but the only problem is that they can lead to irritation for me quite quickly.

Progress for me, properly weighty and a really smooth, clean shaver.

I've not tried a fatboy but I've owned many other vintage Gillettes from Rocket HDs to Superspeeds to a Slim, none of them have ever been as good. I think there's something inherently less stable about a butterfly head as opposed to a flat head.

I haven't tried the progress but own a fatboy and a slim. The fatboy has quite a rounded head and across the settings feels a little milder than the slim, but the slim goes from mild to aggressive better. The slim feels the right length to me, the fatboy a little short (I do have big hands though) but the fatboy feels the right thickness. Difficult to choose between the two but maybe my opinion has helped one way or another.

Dipesh said:
I'd say:

1. Progress
2. Fatboy
3. Slim

They way the progress cuts is just brilliant. Close and comfortable.

I find it's easy to get close in the vintage razors but the only problem is that they can lead to irritation for me quite quickly.

Quoting myself. You've ruled out the futur. I'd put this at the top!

Dipesh said:
Quoting myself. You've ruled out the futur. I'd put this at the top!

I think he answered that one before you even asked it!

I know the Futur is also out there but it looks like it's been designed by an asymetricaly haircutted, skinny jeaned wearing, black framed NHS glasses toting hipster with a 2:2 degree in design from the University of Bangor.

I lollzed. :icon_lol:

The Progress for me.

Having owned all three i found the gillettes didnt suit me whereas the progress offers a easy shave on the lower settings.

I use the MergressXL which is a great shaver so the Progress should be as well. The Fatboys are going down in price (at least compared to what I paid...hah) so that's a good option and the Slim adjustables are always a good bet. My favourite out of all of them is the Mergress/progress with the Slim second and Fatboy third.

Slim, then Progress then Fatboy.
I'm one of the poor unfortunates that can't get on with the Fatboy. Maybe my technique, maybe my wonky face, but I just couldn't. My Slim on the other hand is my goto.
I have a Mergress and like it a lot, especially the sound it makes but my Slim just pips it with quality of shave.

Tardisbasher said:
Slim, then Progress then Fatboy.
I'm one of the poor unfortunates that can't get on with the Fatboy. Maybe my technique, maybe my wonky face, but I just couldn't. My Slim on the other hand is my goto.
I have a Mergress and like it a lot, especially the sound it makes but my Slim just pips it with quality of shave.

I know the noise a Mergress makes well.

It surprised me at first. I find Gillette Bleue Extra to be the noisiest in it.

Johnus said:
You bad mouth my Futur?? May you have bad shaves all week! :)-)

I'm sure it's a top notch razor, it just looks like it fell from the top of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down landing in a heap at the bottom before being run over by the ugly truck carrying a precariously loaded cargo of concentrated ugly that spilled all over the thing. Other than that, I think it looks smashing.

Back
Top Bottom