Merkur progress or 34 HD

+1

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERKUR-PROGRESS-SAFETY-RAZOR-BNIB-RAZOR-BLADES-/280691531590?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item415a84df46">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERKUR-PROGRESS-S ... 415a84df46</a><!-- m -->

Deciding between a 34HD and a Progress is like deciding between a Range Rover and a Bentley.... both are great but are from two totally different worlds...

Ah but short of long handled Progress? another can of worms.....

Depends on what you have just now Dave, if you are hankering after an adjustable to me the Progress is closer to that "best of both worlds" razor. Oddly I fond the Mer/Progress shave closer to the 34C than the 38C. The 38C is just supposed to be a longer handled heavier 34C but I used mine this week and find it a very different shave to the 34C. Leaving the Progress on 2-3 I get a very similar shave to the 34C and that is no bad thing. If the 38C's shave does not get any more enjoyable it is going on the sell pile.

Maybe I am just too limp wristed for the bigger heavier razors these days but in your situation I would say Progress as well, for a first DE the 34c but as you have tried a few I think the Progress will have more mileage for you.

And the winner is the Merkur Progress with the short handle.

I gave it a go today with a Russian yellow 7 o'clock blade, palmolive cream, Proraso splash, Osama alum and Proraso anti irritation cream.

I maxed the blade setting to see how aggressive it is which is enough to keep you switched on or you will come a cropper. I then dialed it down to 2 the 34 HD setting that was just what I was looking for.

I like the weight of this razor and the head size is smaller than my futur which is a good thing because it makes it less of a hassle getting the hairs under my nose.
The shave was very close but this is the first time I have uses the 7 o'clocks and the jury is still out on weather I like them.

Thanks guys for your opinions

and thanks Press for your kind offer pm sent.

Back
Top Bottom